Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cured pork loin - in the bag with pics

Options
This one started a week ago Friday ago with brining a 4-1/2 lb pork loin with curing salt, sugar, sand spices.  I thought I would do a wrap up post

It came out of the brine on Thursday night, soaked overnight in water (to remove a bit of salt), then smoked it on the egg yesterday with lots of Hickory. Finish weight after smoking was 4 lbs.  Really good!  Not too salty, nice smoke, great color.

Sliced it up today: did a few thicker slices for breakfast (had some this morning with eggs), and the rest sliced for sandwiches.  Diced the ends up to use in omelets or soup.  I may never buy deli sandwich meats again!

Thanks again @TonyA for the inspiration.  This is now in my "bag of tricks".
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    that looks really good. 
    NOLA
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    edited January 2014
    Options
    this looks amazing

I have a tenderloin that i will do this with ,
    how long did you smoke it for ,

i need details !!!
    thanks
    Toronto
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    This took 2-1/2 hours @ 245 grate, raised indirect. Smoked to 145 IT
    Rochester, NY
  • pantsypants
    Options
    awesome ,

can you share your cure ? ?
    Toronto
  • Cookinbob
    Options

Here is the cure I used.  I went 6 days, which I think is more than needed.  I have seen times listed as short as 1 day per 2 lbs.  Next one I will try at 4 days.  FWIW, I am not sure I can taste any of the spices or even the maple syrup!

8 C Water
    ¾ C Kosher salt
    ½ C Maple Syrup
    ¼ C brown Sugar
    4t Pink Salt (Instacure #1)
    1T Peppercorns, crushed
    1T Juniper Berries, crushed
    1/4T Ground Cloves 

Mix all until thoroughly dissolved.  Cool to room temperature

Rochester, NY
  • pantsypants
    Options
    i will be doing this tomorrow , thanks

Toronto
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Have fun, and be sure to post with pics.
    Rochester, NY
  • pantsypants
    Options
    For sure thanks
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    Options
    C-bob ,
    I have cured my pork loin but it seems like 8 cups of water is way to much ,
    that said i am using tenderloins .
    All the curing i have done has had a minimal amount of water were in this basically the loins are swimming in water ,

what are your thoughts  ? ?
    Toronto
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    All this and not too expensive. Great meals ahead. Love pork

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Cookinbob
    Options
    C-bob ,
    I have cured my pork loin but it seems like 8 cups of water is way to much ,
    that said i am using tenderloins .
    All the curing i have done has had a minimal amount of water were in this basically the loins are swimming in water ,

what are your thoughts  ? ?
    Anything I have brined was to be submerged in the water.  Mine was certainly swimming, it should not be a problem.  More often I have trouble keeping what I brine covered in the liquid.  You could halve the recipe if needed or use less than all the liquid if you are concerned

As far as time, since you are using tenderloins which are quite a bit smaller than the pork loin, I would probably only go for 2 days.  You could cut a slice from the center of one and fry it up to see if the cure has penetrated to the center (that is all you need).  Anything cured will cook pink, uncured will be white like normal uncured pork.
    Rochester, NY
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options

Looks fantastic!

Rowlett, Texas
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Nice job! The sugar and spices are somewhat vague when it is done regardless, I have used all maple syrup in the past. I would also recommend B grade syrup if you have access to (I've bought some at whole foods) or I would use dark and then medium Grade A amber. You may find it's all subtle enough that maple syrup in the cure is not worth the added cost - particularly if you are using a fraction of the amount in a glaze. I don't know if I've mentioned it before but I also really like blues hog original for glazing ham.

Regarding the amount of brine, depending on the size of your curing vessel, one could probably cut that amount in half. I use a large Tupperware and a ceramic plate to keep the loins submerged. No need to turn them.

It's worth noting again for anyone reading this that all salt is not the same by tablespoon measure. There will be more sodium chloride in a tablespoon of table salt than kosher salt and not all kosher salt is the same size. Unless you weigh salt, you may have to tinker with how much to use. I would advise using a brand you like and working it out.

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Thanks @TonyA. I have been frustrated by inconsistent measures I found in cure recipes I reviewed. A volume measure for salt is a question. I also would like to see a % cure to meat ratio for dry cures. Maybe it is not that critical, but I want no mistakes curing meat!
    Rochester, NY
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Thanks
    Toronto
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    ^:)^ That is on my list of thinngs to try for sure.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings