Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New EggHead - First Brisket

jgrant50
jgrant50 Posts: 16
Well,  here we go.  The ribs, chicken breasts and pork chops have turned out awesome, so time to try my hand at the brisket.  Picked up a nice 10 pounder from my local butcher.  Rubbed with a thin layer of mustard, then salt, pepper and a little of this and that.  I picked up an Ivation remote thermometer (pretty sure this is another rebranded Maverick) and she's smoking away as we speak.

If I end up making a piece of shoe leather, burgers and hotdogs were plan A for tomorrow anyway - hopefully this will be a nice surprise.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Temp has been steady at ~225 - ~230 on the grate according to the temp probe.  Dome thermometer is steady at 250.  Calibrated both, so it seems a little strange - I always thought the grate temp would be higher.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    With indirect cooks the dome is usually higher. On long cooks (like you are at the start of) they will eventually get close. What you are seeing is normal.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Meat probe is already at 129 degrees. I'm wondering if I inserted it too deep and it's too close to the grate. I'd be shocked if the internal temp is already that high. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, my thermometer alarm is going to go off in the middle of the night unless I'm approaching the stall. I may re-insert the probe before I hit the sack.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Welcome aboard! If your meat probe is still positioned like it is in your pic, I'd recommend that you reposition it to the thickest part of the flat. Looks like you have it in the point. Insert from the side and it should give you a good read on the flat.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Thanks R2Egg2Q. The temp rise has slowed quite a bit. The pic doesn't show too well, but I think I got it in the flat pretty well under the point. If I get an alarm before roughly 1.5 hours per pound, I'll reposition.

Hopefully I'll have some nice pics to post tomorrow!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    jgrant50 said:
    Thanks R2Egg2Q. The temp rise has slowed quite a bit. The pic doesn't show too well, but I think I got it in the flat pretty well under the point. If I get an alarm before roughly 1.5 hours per pound, I'll reposition. Hopefully I'll have some nice pics to post tomorrow!

Yep, the inital rise is much faster, then it slows, then it hits the stall and you start to worry something went wrong. :) enjoy, and remember to check for tenderness, not just temp.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I am anxious to hear what the status is when you awake.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • 189 internal temp as of now and it's been on the egg for 10.5 hours.  Grid temp fluctuated up and down ~20 degrees throughout the night and I got up once or twice because I was concerned with it getting too hot.  I had the alarm set to go off it the grid temp hit 190 to compensate for the fluctuation, but it never got that low.  Hopefully ready to FTC here shortly.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    190-195 is a good range to start checking for tenderness. Once it's like butter going in and out in the flat, that's when you pull it off and FTC.

Good luck...

Oh, pictures or you just made this up. ;)
  • FTC'd at internal temp of 196.  Meat probe re-inserted with relative ease, so fingers crossed this turns out edible :)  It was on the egg for right at 11 hours.  Seems as though not quite long enough, but I know each cut of meat is different.  Oh well, I'll know the results in about 4 hours and will post an update.

Thanks!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited January 2014
    @jgrant50-sounds like a very solid cook.  As long as you had the "feel" in the thickest part of the flat then you will have at least a triple out of it and possibly a home-run.  Enjoy the eats!!
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Yep.  Looks like you nailed it.  After 4 hours of FTC it should be just right.  Well done.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Good thing about a long ftc is that you can sneak in a few more zzz's.

Looks solid!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Is zzz a brand of beer?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Looks like a great start to Egging! Look how white that gasket is!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Here she is. I have to give it a solid 7 out of 10. A little dry in one end and a bit too much pepper, but very impressed with my first go.
  • lousubcap
    Congrats-a winner all around!  I'm getting hungry just looking!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    +1 with LOUSUBCAP

@JGRANT50.....Great job on the brisket....I am going to do my 1st one soon.  I have done a couple small (4#) flats, but not a full packer yet......but it is coming !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for building my confidence ,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The first one is always special
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • It certainly was. Everyone loved it and I still have a ton of burnt ends to being to work tomorrow. For the first timers - don't be intimidated. I just stuck with the basics and didn't really over think it. Can't wait for the next one. I think I'm gonna try to score a Stoker wifi between now and then. Better egging through technology :)
  • lousubcap
    @grant50-  If you want to toss $$ at brisket then check out this site before going for the controller-
    http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/competitive-bbq-collection/brisket-14lbs-to-17lbs/n Given your success then I would opt for the Holy Grail but it's not my $$.  
    :)>-
  • Yikes! I'm not sure my confidence level is quite there yet. Aside from that, even if it produced liquid gold au jus, I'd have a heck of a time convincing my wife it was a good idea :). Would be sweet though.