Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Temperature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hows about a little bit of quick expert assistance? I'm in the process of cookin' a pork loin and am a little unsure of the proper internal temp (with polder). Would be grateful for some hep.[p]

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Howie,
    Lean cuts of pork (loins/lean chops/tenderloins) cook to 145-150.
    Pork Shoulder, and Ribs go to 185-200.[p]HTH
    NB

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Howie, last pork loin that I did (check link) I took off the BGE at 160 degrees. I guess I like mine more on the done side.

[ul][li]Pork Loin[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Natrure Boy,
    Thanks for the input. Beer's cold...egg's hot. Ready to go.[p]Howie

• Unknown
    Options
    Pork is safe at 137 deg. I take it off at 140.
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    George,[p]Me too. Most of the pork I can buy here is so lean that it dries out at temps much above that.[p]I don't think it's available in your area yet, but watch for Niman Ranch pork - it's free-range, very flavorful and less prone to overcooking than the usual stuff. Their tenderloins and spareribs are outstanding.[p]Cathy

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Howie, I agree in part with both George and Cat, but there is another "problem" there. "tricky noses" (trichinosis larvea) is killed at 137F, and 140 and above is considered protection from that one. Its rare now to even see it in pork. Next one is bacteria toxins, and that one is a tuffy.
    So handling your meats is a important thing to keep in mind.[p]I would cook my pork to at +350F to least 145F internal for medium, and a slight pink interior. Or 150 for a more white yet juicy medium to medium well done cook.[p]Just my thoughts..C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the input. Replies were all well-reasoned and articulate (big words for a north GA boy like me). I went with 148 with outstanding results. Had out of state company and had to put the left-overs in a cooler for them to take home.[p]Thanks again...Howie

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Howie, Great..success is always a pleasure to taste. Got some of that to reheat into brisket sandwiches..Cheers.
    C~W[p]

• JohnL
    JohnL Posts: 27
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    You're going to have to take a course on BBQ spelling, that's "brisket sammiches". :)[p]John

• Char-Woody
    Options
    JohnL, Your right..sammich it is..:-)