Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite internal temperature for a baked or sweet potato?

jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
I did some searching on internal temperature of a baked potato and found that most people cook them at 350 for an hour or so. Do Any of you have an internal temperature that you shoot for when baking a potato. Is it different for a sweet potato?
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• Just bake until it feels soft when squeezed gently.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • I love my Thermapen and cooking with it, but hasn't dawned on me to cook my potato to a specific temp.  I use the fork test.  If I'm mashing it or pureeing it, I want it soft.  If I'm going to do something like make a hash, I want them to be firmer. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    It's a good question and I baked sweet potatoes last night, and I didn't think to thermapen them.
    NOLA
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    I just cook both until soft and then good to go. Usually wrap in foil in place directly on lump, near the side, then cook whatever and it's all done around the same time.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2014

210 degrees, according to this site:  http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PotatoBaking.htm

(which would make sense considering it's right below the point at which the water would start steaming the potato).
    NOLA
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    210 degrees on the dot - thermapen approved.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    205-210 has always worked for me
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • EggoMatic said:

210 degrees on the dot - thermapen approved.

I googled it and this is what I read as well.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I've always taken them to 215 degrees and have always had compliments.  I rub them with EVOO, give them a good coating of kosher salt, and bake them on the egg indirect at 350.  I will, however, try 210 IT and see if that makes them even better.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have never baked a potato to temp. But I have checked the temp of a potato I have baked. :) 205-210° is about right. For russets anyway. I assume the same temp for sweet potatoes (never checked), but they don't take as long.

As for cooking time/temp. I just cook them at the temp of whatever else I'm cooking. For me, that's usually 325-450* so 45 minutes to 1:15-ish. 

Or, nuke 'em for a few. Maybe 4-5 for a sweet, 6-8 for russet. Longer for multiple potatoes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Add me to the 210 degree temp camp. Unless I am baking potatoes for baked potato soup, then 195-200.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    These potatoes were for eating as baked potatoes.  The 205-210 was perfect.  While I always cooked to feel as well, knowing what the temperature is going to be when done is helpful.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Phinster
    Phinster Posts: 1
    Thanks Eggheads...good info....ham and sweet potatoes tonight
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2014
    For a sweet potato cook until black then toss in the coals the only good sweet potato is one in the trash :) The above goes for cantaloupe also. Now that's the nastiest food on gods green earth Now for a baked. As said above I do until it's soft to the squeeze
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    210. I even put my Maverick in mine so if don't have to keep checking.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Very good to know. My wife asked me to bake sweet potatoes for Yams, and i didnt want to get them too well done. I'll see what Temp I come up with.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited November 2015
    ...  Or, nuke 'em for a few. Maybe 4-5 for a sweet, 6-8 for russet. Longer for multiple potatoes.
    Nuked potatoes have a different taste/texture than oven/egg baked ones.  Microwaved spuds have a good taste, just not a great taste ... great taste requires baking.

However, a front end nuke is something to keep in mind when your main protein cook is too low of a temp and/or too short of a cook to yield fully baked potatoes.  The initial help with the microwave doesn't seem to be noticeable in the end product.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sweet potato tip:

If you like them sweet, cook them slow so they stay in the 135-170F range for a long period of time.  There is an enzyme that converts starch into sugar in this range.  Over 170 and it denatures and stops working.  Sous vide can be used or just knowing and monitoring the temp and you can get very sweet potatoes without adding sugar.  Conversely, you can cook fast and keep them more on the savory side. 

Whatever you do, they need to be cooked, eventually, over 180F, which is the temperature pectin breaks down in order to be tender.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/food-lab-sweet-potatoes-mashed-science-not-sugar-thanksgiving.html

gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I, too, aim for 205 for spuds. About the same for sweet potatoes, or any root veg if I want them tender.
  • Very good to know. My wife asked me to bake sweet potatoes for Yams, and I didnt want to get them too well done. I checked and it looks like Sweet Potatoes are Tender at an internal temp of 200 F.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    squeeze test works, no reason to change that. for baked i only use russets or sweet potatoes, no reason to buy the other ones unless your making salad
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    no reason to buy the other ones unless your making salad
    Or feeding crickets ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Sweet potato tip:

If you like them sweet, cook them slow so they stay in the 135-170F range for a long period of time.  There is an enzyme that converts starch into sugar in this range.  Over 170 and it denatures and stops working.  Sous vide can be used or just knowing and monitoring the temp and you can get very sweet potatoes without adding sugar.  Conversely, you can cook fast and keep them more on the savory side. 

Whatever you do, they need to be cooked, eventually, over 180F, which is the temperature pectin breaks down in order to be tender.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/food-lab-sweet-potatoes-mashed-science-not-sugar-thanksgiving.html

this would explain why i like the huge sweet taters over the medium ones, longer cook time and sweeter. i can fix those little ones now, good to know ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Best ever baked potatoes:

Clean nice large Idaho potatoes and poke some holes with a fork. Coat with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook an oven (or egg) at 425 for anywhere from 45-75 min depending on potato size. When fork tender and skin crispy, you're done. 

I usually do these in the oven as I'm often cooking the protein in the egg.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Just did this last night with a sweet potato and it was in the 197 range. Pulled a few minutes after that and it was just al dente. Figure 210 would be nice and soft

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited February 2016
    squeeze test works, no reason to change that. for baked i only use russets or sweet potatoes, no reason to buy the other ones unless your making salad
    Hmm, I stopped buying russets a long time ago.  I prefer yukon golds when making mashed taters, and redskin for roasting.  I'll grate either one when making hash browns.  One thing I noticed about both red & gold potatoes is they don't turn pink on the outside when left exposed to air after peeling.
    Makes them much more appealing when eating them raw.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I've never measured the temp, but I wait until they are soft.  Squeeze them with tongs and if they don't bounce back, they're ready.

I've pierce them all over with a metal skewer, microwave them for 2 minutes on each side, covered them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then wrap in foil.  Over direct heat 400-500F and turn every 10 minutes.  Ready in 30 minutes.

I do the same with Yukon Golds, but if they are really fat, I'll put an aluminum "potato nail" through them.

I those restaurants that bring the big idaho's in the paper, I hear they rub them with lard.  Anybody know the trick on those??
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    210 is my temp
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259

I use the KISS method...the trusty toothpick.  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit