Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron plate setter

I go out to fire up the bge today and the plate setter is busted.
No idea what happened but while I was surfing for a new one,
I see they have a cast iron plate setter now.
Anybody have one or have thoughts on one?
Dead smack in the middle of NH

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I think it's a great idea to get one of those. Perfect for searing, or not.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • I don't have an adjustable rig but this may be the perfect opportunity for you to get one. I already have a plate setter and a woo3. If anything happens to my plate setter than I would get the adjustable rid and some cast iron pieces if I wanted to sear.   Just a thought.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Yep- I'm secretly hoping my plate setter will break so I have an excuse to buy the A/R- way more versatile than the Plate setter
    Greensboro, NC
  • Leaning toward an AR myself, just havent pulled the trigger yet. Looked at the CI plate setter too, can't really justify the cost however.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    edited January 2014
    Ok. So the a/r looks pretty cool. Can someone school me a bit?
    The ceramic plate acts as the buffer for the indirect?
    If I'm right the I'm getting an a/r and plate setter for an extra 30 bucks over the cast iron?
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    If mine would break I'd get an AR too.  Far more versatile.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Reading another topic re baking stone. The steel baking stone weight as twice as heavy as baking stone. I would think the same as plate setter.

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • The Adjustable rig looks cool and versatile, but since I already have a standard platesetter, I haven't gone down that road. I posted this earlier on a similar thread regarding the cast iron platesetter... "I bought one of these (cast iron platesetter) for my father-in-law's LBGE and promptly cooked two pork butts. I used it the same way you would use a normal platesetter. It performed every bit as well as my ceramic platesetter on my XLBGE, and the pork butts were fantastic as usual. The next time I have to replace my fragile ceramic platesetter (currently on #2), I'm getting the cast iron one for my XL. I have seen other comments about the cast iron platesetter possibly conducting too much heat compared to the ceramic one. In my opinion, if the grid temp is steady at 225 degrees, then you are cooking at 225 degrees regardless of the platesetter material. Just my opinion, and I'm convinced on the cast iron platesetter after testing it on an 18 hour cook. Have fun cooking!" ... Hope this helps.
  • insaneh
    Thanks Joe. That was my concern. I didn't see much as far as reviews on it and didn't see anyone talking about it. I figured it was either too new or was a pretty much failed device.
    After looking at the options, I'll probably go with the adjustable rig. It seems like for a few extra bucks,
    you get a lot more versatility. Now, I just need to decide which kidney to sell........
    ;)
  • insaneh
    @! BGE large spiders for the a/r out of stock. Oval racks out of stock.
                                     #@$*@$@)! No place to pre order.
    On the up side, after reading the other posts regarding JB weld, I picked some up and the
    afore mentioned broken plate setter in at home comfortably mending.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
     the spider, adjustable rig and xl woo use pizza stones to create the indirect set up.  we like stones best because we can move them up or down and change the stone shape to get best protection under and airflow over the cook.  Our stone construction is similar to the platesetter, 5/8" thick and high temp ceramics.  I think we have more stone shapes and sizes than any of the ceramic manufacturers.

insaneh, I hear you on the out of stock items.  we've been trying to sync our inventory to insure proper accounting between the online and retail store.  So far we are on trial attempt #3.  Each time we bring on the online store, anytime someone orders something, the inventory for that part goes to zero.   We using big name companies, so not sure why we get the bugs.  

We are out of some items, none you mentioned, as we are bringing in more equipment for fabrication.  On the no preorder, I prefer not to take your money until we can deliver product.....kinda ole fashion that way.  Sorry for any inconvenience. 

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • insaneh
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the response Tom.
    I'll be patient. Hopefully use my mended platesetter in the mean time.
    I assumed it was the spider that held it all up as it looks like one.
    Every time i hit the oval rack button or the 3 legs fit notch,  it jumps to
    "Sorry, all Indirect Piece options for this product are currently unavailable"
    Is there a way you could set up an alert to folks so we would know when
    items are in?
  • insaneh
    Used JB weld on the old plate setter. Worked like a champ.
    It says it's only rated to 550 deg. though.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    If you didn't drop or otherwise abuse your plate setter and you've had it less than 3 years you can get a warranty replacement: http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • insaneh
    Really!?! I cooked a stuffed porkloin, came out 2 days later, went to fire up the egg and the leg was busted on the plate setter. I'll have to check that out. I still want the A/R but I can't seem to get an answer as to when they might be back in stock.
    Thanks R2Egg2Q.
  • Just FYI, I had my cart cleared out. However, I called, and they are implementing a new system, and some items, may be marked out of stock, that are not out of stock. If you have a problem...call them. I spoke to a woman on Friday, and she was extremely helpful. I wish I could remember her name, to give her credit. But she said they had almost everything in stock. 
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • insaneh
    Just got my A/R in yesterday. Just in time because the JB weld gave out on my platesetter over the weekend.
    I gotta say, the design is simple, appears functional and from a manufacturing standpoint, very well made. I'm impressed.
    Can't wait to try it out this weekend.
  • insaneh
    Gave the rig a test run this weekend. 2 thumbs up all the way. Thanks to everyone that recommended it.