Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Favorite internal temperature for a baked or sweet potato?

I did some searching on internal temperature of a baked potato and found that most people cook them at 350 for an hour or so. Do Any of you have an internal temperature that you shoot for when baking a potato. Is it different for a sweet potato?
XL BGE; Medium BGE 
·

Comments

• Just bake until it feels soft when squeezed gently.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
    ·
  • I love my Thermapen and cooking with it, but hasn't dawned on me to cook my potato to a specific temp.  I use the fork test.  If I'm mashing it or pureeing it, I want it soft.  If I'm going to do something like make a hash, I want them to be firmer. 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 1,095
    It's a good question and I baked sweet potatoes last night, and I didn't think to thermapen them.
    NOLA
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 497
    I just cook both until soft and then good to go. Usually wrap in foil in place directly on lump, near the side, then cook whatever and it's all done around the same time.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 1,095
    edited January 2014

210 degrees, according to this site:  http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PotatoBaking.htm

(which would make sense considering it's right below the point at which the water would start steaming the potato).
    NOLA
    ·
  • EggoMaticEggoMatic Posts: 130
    210 degrees on the dot - thermapen approved.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,261
    205-210 has always worked for me
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • EggoMatic said:

210 degrees on the dot - thermapen approved.

I googled it and this is what I read as well.
    Nowhere Indiana
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 997
    I've always taken them to 215 degrees and have always had compliments.  I rub them with EVOO, give them a good coating of kosher salt, and bake them on the egg indirect at 350.  I will, however, try 210 IT and see if that makes them even better.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,005
    I have never baked a potato to temp. But I have checked the temp of a potato I have baked. :) 205-210° is about right. For russets anyway. I assume the same temp for sweet potatoes (never checked), but they don't take as long.

As for cooking time/temp. I just cook them at the temp of whatever else I'm cooking. For me, that's usually 325-450* so 45 minutes to 1:15-ish. 

Or, nuke 'em for a few. Maybe 4-5 for a sweet, 6-8 for russet. Longer for multiple potatoes.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    Add me to the 210 degree temp camp. Unless I am baking potatoes for baked potato soup, then 195-200.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 793
    These potatoes were for eating as baked potatoes.  The 205-210 was perfect.  While I always cooked to feel as well, knowing what the temperature is going to be when done is helpful.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
    ·
  • PhinsterPhinster Posts: 1
    Thanks Eggheads...good info....ham and sweet potatoes tonight
    ·
  • llrickmanllrickman Posts: 510
    edited August 2014
    For a sweet potato cook until black then toss in the coals the only good sweet potato is one in the trash :) The above goes for cantaloupe also. Now that's the nastiest food on gods green earth Now for a baked. As said above I do until it's soft to the squeeze
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,019
    210. I even put my Maverick in mine so if don't have to keep checking.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·