Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let there be fire!

Options

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Nice.......is MAP better than Propane ????

I have a propane, but haven't used it to light the egg. 

Haven't had any trouble with the oily rag yet !!!!!!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Yes, more BTU power (2X over propane). I used oiled paper towels too and they worked good. They were slow to get the lump burning though. I know it's overkill but I also need this tool for my shop.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Yep...good excuse.....:)

I'll probably try the propane.....maybe the MAP later.  Hope you enjoy it. 

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Only way to go
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

I was a dedicated Looftlighter fan - until I tried the MAPP torch.  That was good, but better still is the Bernzomatic Outdoor Torch (Weed Burner).  Here is a link to Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1390755419&sr=1-1&keywords=bernzomatic+weed 

This sucker ROCKS!!!  And it's multi-use (Tom hates weeding).  I think the only thing more fun would be the Rodenator - not available at Amazon - Check out Rodenator.com.  The Rodenator is not for lighting the BGE.

But seriously, the Bernzomatic Weed Burner allows you a little more space between hand and fire, and with MAPP, is totally Awesome!!  For $38 with free shipping via Prime.

Santa Paula, CA
  • cdthomas23
    Options
    +1 on the weed torch. Keeps me a good distance from the fire and uses propane or MAPP. Do not get the short one (like the one listed above) that uses only propane. Propane is no good upside down, which is the advantage of the MAPP.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    dldawes1 just to let you know you can use propane on a mapp torch but you can't use mapp on a propane torch.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have exactly the same torch you bought and it is excellent.  Less than a minute to light the lump in several places.  Light one area for a small/low & slow fire, light in multiple spots for a larger fire.  Much faster, cleaner, and easier than the charcoal chimney I used in the past.  

I also have done the paper towel with cooking oil, and with 91% alcohol, and this beats them both.  I don't see any need for a larger flame like the weedburner puts out, but I guess it is fun.......
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I have exactly the same torch you bought and it is excellent.  Less than a minute to light the lump in several places.  Light one area for a small/low & slow fire, light in multiple spots for a larger fire.  Much faster, cleaner, and easier than the charcoal chimney I used in the past.  

I also have done the paper towel with cooking oil, and with 91% alcohol, and this beats them both.  I don't see any need for a larger flame like the weedburner puts out, but I guess it is fun.......

thanks.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    when you use propane and you turn the torch up side down the torch goes out with Mapp it dose not go out and the Mapp burns hotter then propane 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    MAPP is what I use in a pinch to braze refrigeration piping when my oxygen acetylene rig is too difficult to access. It gets hot enough to braze 15% silver solder with no leaks on up to a 7/8" refrigeration copper line and have used to braze copper to steel with blue rod. So, ya it'll lite the lump easily :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I used it for the first time today. So easy, so effective, so accurate. Love it. I didn't see many sparks either.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I get sparks all the time with my MAPP. Maybe it s the charcoal ?
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Terrebandit
    Options

. Could be. I use Royal Oak now but I use to use a mesquite lump which did spark/pop a lot. You?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    For $20, here is 500,000 btus and 3500 degrees incase you ever want to melt the inside of the egg. Will light lump on idle, you have to wear ear protection with this torch….
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    For $20, here is 500,000 btus and 3500 degrees incase you ever want to melt the inside of the egg. Will light lump on idle, you have to wear ear protection with this torch….

my friend has one and uses it to light his large cabinet smoker. Cheaper yes but Total overkill for the LBGE, IMO.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Totally agree, I'm an electric starter kinda guy, if you have power close to your egg there is no better method. Wait eight minutes, unplug it and away you go. I use my Maverick in timer mode so I don't wander off and forget the starter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I think the last bag may have been cowboy or another off brand. I just dumped a new bag of rock wood into my trash can that I keep my lump in that stays in the garage
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • wmcguire93
    Options
    @Terrebandit
    I have the same exact model and I love it.  The type of lump affects how much sparks are generated.  Some are worse than others.  Relighting lump also makes a difference.  When I light lump that has already burned down some, I get almost zero sparks.

The MAPP also lasts a very long time.  I have had mine a year (ironically I bought it right before the Super Bowl) and I am still on the fist bottle.

For reference, I cook an average of 2 times a week, I light 3-4 spots in the lump at about 15 to 20 seconds per location.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• Terrebandit
    Options
    @wmcguire93 Thank you for the great information. Yes, the lump I lit was stuff that had been previously burned, so that explains that. Frequently, I always have semi used lump in the fire box so I will just start the fire there always. Also, I appreciate the information on how long the MAP gas will last. Each tank cost about 9 bucks, so once the initial investment of the torch is made it becomes a low cost, easy, and practical alternative for lighting the egg. I know that lighting it with oil soaked towels is much cheaper, but it's slower and messy. You need to come back to TX!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • wmcguire93
    Options
    @Terrebandit
    I would love to be back in Texas!  We miss it a lot, but unfortunately my job has me elsewhere.  We used to live in Austin and still have several friends there. It is our favorite place to come back to when we visit.

I was born and raised in San Antonio and all of my family still lives there, so we try and get back as often as possible.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.