Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Central Texas BBQ Tour

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
While we intended to visit more places today, we kept it to two.  That was more than enough BBQ, so tonight we'll do something opposite of BBQ (Suggestions are welcome). 

Our first stop was John Mueller Meat Co. We got there at 10:30am and were the first in line.

Point Brisket (7 out of 10), flat brisket (5 out of 10), pork ribs (8 out of 10), beef rib (8.5 out of 10), Sausage (5 out of 10), and Cheesy Squash (8 out of 10)
So I was snapping this pic of his wood and John zipped past and photobombed the shot.  John stops and looks at me and asks "Do I come in your backyard and take pictures?"  I respond and say "nope".  He then asked "You know I have a reputation to be a d#@* right?"  I said "That's what I heard but I don't want to believe it sir!"  He emphatically responded "well you better f&^*ing believe it."  He paused for a second, then said "i'm just messing with you, go right ahead".    =))
John was back there, but he wasn't too approachable, so we didn't really talk much after that.   I thanked him for a great meal and he said he appreciated us coming out.
I thanked the staff and snapped a pic of some beef ribs John just dropped off.

All in all, it was a great visit and I'll definitely return to John's backyard.  I think it's probably better to come after noon or 1pm as it will be more popping with folk music and hipsters.  

Our next stop was to La Barbecue.  We arrived at around 11:05am and there was about a 25 minute wait.  John Lewis is the pitmaster here and for those of you that don't know, he was Franklin BBQ's Pit Boss and the trailer and B&M before they parted ways in 2012.  Folk music was going and the free Lone Star was flowing into all the hipsters.  
I get up to the window and John Lewis is cutting, which I love!  There is nothing better than a pitmaster serving his own product, as I believe they take more pride in what they serve you.  "Can I have please 3 slices of point, and 1 slice of flat?"  John says "Oh, you know how to order" (that was his point but probably not verbatim to deserve a quote) and smirked at me.  I asked him about some of his activity at another BBQ site while I ordered the rest of my grub.  

Point Brisket (9 out of 10), Flat brisket (10 out of 10), Beef Rib (10 out of 10), Sausage (8 out of 10), Pork Ribs (5 out of 10), Turkey (8 out of 10) and baked beans (8 out of 10)
Best freaking flat i've had in my life!
After we were done, John was at his pit and I told him that the point and beef ribs were exactly what I expected, but I was most impressed with how much he nailed his flat.  He smiled and thanked me.  We got to talking about his rub and he asked me "would you like some rub to take home?"  I said "HELL YEAH, I would LOVE some rub!!"  He came back and hooked me up with a generous portion of rub.  He then showed me some briskets ( I was so in awe, I didn't take a pic even though I had my camera in my damn hand) in his pit for tomorrow, and we chatted BBQ for about 30 freaking minutes.  What an amazing experience and I learned a ton of information after a wonderful meal.  Definitely lived up to his reputation as being an awesome dude!

Some sausage he pulled off as we were talking.

Right before I left, he was relaxed and I saw a perfect photo opportunity, so of course I asked to snap a pic of him.   :)

More pics to come tomorrow after we visit Franklin BBQ.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I thought that was what Salado was about. I'm gonna cook some Indian stuff if Mickey will lend me his le Creuset.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I thought that was what Salado was about. I'm gonna cook some Indian stuff if Mickey will lend me his le Creuset.

Would that be Cherokee or Apache?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Caz that last pic is the best I have seen of yours. Outstanding portrait Sir.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chainsaw19
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, very enjoyable read.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    awesome post, can't wait to see more tomorrow.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Can't wait to see more. Great post.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Dude, you have to put out a magazine. Incredible pics. La Barbecue is on the definite must visit list. East 6th, right?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Great post and pics! I know the saying of "never trust a skinny chef" but I would definitely trust John Lewis if he can cook like that!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • eggteeth
    Options
    Cazzy, what's with the Vikes avatar?  Are you from MN?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice. I'll need to hit up those spots when I head to Georgetown/Salado. Hopefully, if I get to Muellers after 1 he'll be kicking hipster ass so I don't have to. Seems like a cool guy.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ok, between this weather and the BBQ joints in Texas, maybe a move to Texas is what I need...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options
    Had to take the kids to see the Texas State Capitol, right?

• cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    During my visit to La Barbecue, I was pretty damn bummed that one of the owners wasn't there.  LeAnn Mueller not only runs a great BBQ joint, but she is a pretty kick ass professional photographer (see her work here) too.  

Move forward 9 hours and we decided we wanted pizza.  I used some Google Fu and found this spot called Bufalina that looked good.  I honestly said in my head, I think @CarolinaQ "might" hit this place up if he were here.  lol

Place was packed, had an hour & a half wait, so we just took two pies to go.  As I'm waiting, the bartender starting chatting with me.  I mentioned that I was from San Antonio and was in town for a BBQ tour.  After telling him I went to John Mueller Meat Co. and La Barbecue, he cracked a cheesy smile.  He pointed outside and said "That's La Barbecue right there".  I asked, "is that LeAnn Mueller?"  He said "yep, you have to go outside and talk to her".  What are the damn odds of that happening?  LOL   I talked to her a lil, and then told her how wonderful the experience was!  She was very nice and thankful that I approached her.

I must say, this is probably one of the best birthday weekends i've had in a long damn time!   :D
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I think @CarolinaQ "might" hit this place up if he were here.  lol

If they do their pies on a WFO, yeah, I"d go. :)

Nice OP, man, but I gotta say all your name dropping was lost on me. Never heard of any of 'em - restaurants or people. But then, the last time I spent any time in Texas, it was a LONG time ago and I was at Lackland. :) 

Food looked good though.  
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like you're living the dream! Thanks for sharing. Waiting for tomorrow's installment.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    That's a solid BBQ tour, I think my central BBQ tour will be @cazzy for wings and then @travisstrick for brisket and the final stop will be @mickey for home.

That will be perfect

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    Need to try salt lick and for chain BBQ i believe Rudy's does an incredible job. I used to cover texas with my old territory. I really miss working out there. One of the main reasons was the food
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @cazzy-most eggcellent post and pics.  You did a great job of highlighting each stop!  Can't wait for the remainder of the journey write-up. 
    Congrats on your successful completion of another lap of the sun.  Gonna be tough to top this one.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    @cazzy Did you buy lottery tickets yesterday?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You headed to Lockhart too?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    Options
    9:35am and yes, it is this ridiculous!

I am first in line! :D
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

Dude, if I weren't working I would PM you my order and start heading your way.

"I'm with Cazzy - you know, the famous chicken wing guy at the front of the line"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @cazzy I hope your rating system goes to 11!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Good reporting.   I am enjoying reading about the tour.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Mickey
    Options
    Caz will you even talk to us low folk in Salado?

• cazzy
    Options
    Oh my nom nom!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    We'll be having Capt Crunch ...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Oh my nom nom!!!
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Oh my nom nom!!!
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    Come on, yall know me better than that!   :D
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Omg...The flood of awesome pictures that will follow is gonna blow up the forum....

:))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN