Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Omaha Steaks??

Anyone have any experience?  I recently received an e-mail for steaks, burgers, pork chops, chicken, etc. that actually sounded like a really good deal.

Comments

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    They are pretty good, but I prefer the meat from Rubes.  Never had anything from there I didn't like.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Rubes?  Not familiar, please explain.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited January 2014
    Do a Google search for Rube's Steak House in Montour, Iowa. www.rubessteaks.com They have another closer to Des Moines but I don't remember the town.  Their butcher shop delivers top notch steaks of generous proportions.  I have exchanged steaks for lobsters with a pal from Maine and we were both very happy.  For further reference ask @Caliking about Iowa quality meats. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Get them as gifts every so often. The Prime Rib was one of the best I've done. Steaks are OK but not a lot better than what I can get local. Don't ever pay full price. Once you are on the list from sending or receiving, you will get great discounted offers. Good steaks if at the right price. Actually cooked up some burgers last night for a late night snack with my son and they were very good.
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    IMO, Omaha steaks aren't that great of a deal. Local butchers tend to have better quality. I realize this sounds strange since I'm IN Omaha, but haven't had the best luck. They are okay, but not mind blowing.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Ordered a Christmas special once.  Cost per pound was kinda ugly, but looking at it as cost per meal, wasn't too bad (I'm trying to cut back).
    However, if you order from them expect DAILY emails in your inbox, and 2 to 3 home phone calls per week.  I had to threaten them to get them to take me off their lists, and will never patronize them again. 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Ask Payton Manning!!!!!! :D
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @bettysnephew - damn straight brother. I can't tell you how much I miss Iowa meat. Chicken, pork, beef, goat... It was all so good. Especially the pork. There's nothing quite like Iowa pork.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited January 2014
    Fyi...rubes near DSM is in Waukee, Ia...just West of DSM...pretty good chow...
    I got some real good T bones once from Omaha steaks as a gift...they were good so I ordered a few more times...never as good as the gift ones...I think the gift box was pretty spendy...we get pretty good selections from most grocers. ..
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Omaha steaks are good but pricey. Biggest gripe is they are small. 4 oz. and 5 oz. filets? C'mon!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • You can do a lot better than Omaha steaks, the only good thing about them is you can get them cheaper after you pay full price once. They will keep sending you offers for half price or even less .
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    You can do a lot better than Omaha steaks, the only good thing about them is you can get them cheaper after you pay full price once. They will keep sending you offers for half price or even less .

Interesting, kind've the opposite business model from what the cable/satellite companies use...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    You can do a lot better than Omaha steaks, the only good thing about them is you can get them cheaper after you pay full price once. They will keep sending you offers for half price or even less .

Exactly.  Some of their speicals are worth the price, but the I've never thought of it as more than "decent" meat. 

The best meat I've ever tasted came from this place.

http://www.yougrill.com/

It's very pricey so I've never actually ordered it for myself.  I have both given and received it as gifts though.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I think their hot dogs are better than the steaks. Best I've had, all beef. They are very persistent so don't give them your phone number!
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    They're not bad, but way overpriced IMO.  They are pretty big with their mail order business, but I don't know of any locals that buy them.  I can find better quality and prices at the local butcher shops or supermarkets.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE