Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Velveeta shortage

Options
I read on the other forum that there is going to be a Velveeta shortage before the Super Bowl "So load up on Velveeta and Rotel for your Queso dip."  I am a native Texan, and grew up on Velveeta and Rotel for Chile con Queso, but I found something better a couple of years ago.  You still need Velveeta, but not the Rotel.

Do this, and you won't go back.

Velveeta cheese .  1 pound
Chopped Hatch green chiles (found in small cans) - 3 cans
Heavy cream - 1 1/4 cup.

Heat it all.  If you want heat, add a little cayenne.
-----------------------------------------------------
Albuquerque, NM
Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe

Comments

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    Are all canned green chiles Hatch chiles? Or will they say Hatch on the can?
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    stantrb said:
    Are all canned green chiles Hatch chiles? Or will they say Hatch on the can?
    It doesn't have to be "Hatch" green chiles.  There are several brands, but all of them (in that size can) are about the same.
    Albuquerque, NM
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Ro tel
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    henapple said:
    Ro tel
    Glad to see you evaluated both and determined that Rotel and Velveeta is better.
    Albuquerque, NM
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    OMG --- this huge! not saying this tongue in cheek, velveeta is right up there with bacon!
    Cookin in Texas
  • Harmening
    Options
    Velveeta shortage is a marketing ploy by Kraft Foods to sell more Velveeta.  I used to work for them, we always had to use this line with our buyers.
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    The purpose of the thread was to offer an alternative to Velveeta and Rotel.
    Albuquerque, NM
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Hatch chiles are available only a short time each year. I didn't know you could buy them in a can. Will check it out but my guess is that they are expensive? What size is the can?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    Hatch chiles are available only a short time each year. I didn't know you could buy them in a can. Will check it out but my guess is that they are expensive? What size is the can?
    You want  3 four ounce can (12 oz).  Here are a couple of "no name" brands.

Albuquerque, NM
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

I'm an arrogant chile snob (lived in NM for 5 years) and will offer that a fresh green chile from California will be better than Hatch's best in a can.  Hatch is a growing region (like Napa) and not a specific pepper; New Mexicos, Anaheims, Big Jims, etc are essentially the same fruit (a check of their scientific/Latin name would confirm).  
    I'm fortunate that I now have a second source for Hatch green chiles here in utard, buy a bushel, freshly-roasted, every September and freeze them (freezing affects their texture, but they still taste good; canning kills both imnsho).  
    I think Rotel has green chile in it, although in a much smaller amount of course.  May have to try straight chiles in my Velveeta this year (I bought four boxes and said so on CraigsList, so hopefully I'll get invited to someone's SB party.... :D ).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I always put sausage in my Rotel Queso dip, I'll try it like this next time...with sausage
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    You put your sausage in the the dip? Hope it wasn't too hot...ouch
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm going back inside my cave. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Tackman said:
    You put your sausage in the the dip? Hope it wasn't too hot...ouch
    At first it was likeimage
    but then I was like
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Betting once you try this, you'll never want for velveeta again. 1lb country sausage ground. Browned 16 oz. cream cheese 1 can rotel Brown the sausage then drain Add the cream cheese and rotel Enjoy with tortilla chips.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hibby said:

Betting once you try this, you'll never want for velveeta again.

1lb country sausage ground. Browned
    16 oz. cream cheese
    1 can rotel

Brown the sausage then drain
    Add the cream cheese and rotel

Enjoy with tortilla chips.

This is exactly what I do. I use hot sausage and a little bit of garlic. Hell yeah.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Harmening said:
    Velveeta shortage is a marketing ploy by Kraft Foods to sell more Velveeta.  I used to work for them, we always had to use this line with our buyers.

This is funny because I've been telling SWMBO there's a beer shortage for years.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Betting once you try this, you'll never want for velveeta again. 1lb country sausage ground. Browned 16 oz. cream cheese 1 can rotel Brown the sausage then drain Add the cream cheese and rotel Enjoy with tortilla chips.
    This is exactly what I do. I use hot sausage and a little bit of garlic. Hell yeah.

+2- we use the hot version of a local sausage. Don't ever do the velveeta anymore
    Greensboro, NC