Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Rib's First Timer

lantzwr
lantzwr Posts: 229
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Cooked some turbo ribs, 350F dome temperature for 2 hours (no smoke, other than the charcoal).  Rubbed with mustard and a memphis rub recipe I found online.  Best ribs I have made so far.  Tried the 3-2-1, and really don't like them to fall off the bone.  These were perfect. Sorry, I hate that the iPhone pictures load upside down.
RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice. But why no smoke added?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lantzwr
    Wife doesn't care much for any additional smoke, the smokiness of cooking over the lump charcoal is plenty for her.

Boiler UP
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You can't argue with those ribs
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lantzwr
    edited January 2014
    They were pretty darn good.  No more 3-2-1 for me.

Boiler UP
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Turbo ribs suck @Mickey. ..

Sorry? I've been dronking.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Plan to turbo some baby backs tomorrow! Never did them. Hoping they look as good as yours. 350 dome with plate setter legs up?
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Done them 3-2-1, 3-1-1, 5-6 hours smoking on rib rack.  I always come back to turbo ribs with peach wood, Dizzy Pig or Oakridge BBQ.  Always single bite tender and everyone loves them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

I’ve spent the last 2-1/2 years trying every recipe for babybacks that has been posted. From Car Wash Mikes 3-2-1, with every time variation imaginable, foiling sometimes  and not foiling others, to Mickey’s turbo’s @ 350 indirect for 1hour 40 minutes and no looking, unless to sauce. Most all had good results, except the longer cook times in the foil, they were mushy. Decided to go back to my pre-egg days and see if my old gasser method would work on the egg.

Did them at 350 raised DIRECT. 30 minutes bone side down, flip for 10 minutes, then flip back to the bone side down and sauce for 20 minutes. 1 hour total cook time. These were as good as any I’ve done the other ways and a lot faster, cooking raised direct was a key. I’d call them “super turbo”.

The next day I tried it with St. Louis style ribs and went 1 hour 20 minutes to great ribs. The pics are of the babybacks. If you’re in a hurry, or decide at the last minute you want ribs and don’t want to wait 4 to 5 hours, give this a try.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • lantzwr
    Tackman said:
    Plan to turbo some baby backs tomorrow! Never did them. Hoping they look as good as yours. 350 dome with plate setter legs up?
    Yes, thats the way I did it.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    billyray said:

I’ve spent the last 2-1/2 years trying every recipe for babybacks that has been posted. From Car Wash Mikes 3-2-1, with every time variation imaginable, foiling sometimes  and not foiling others, to Mickey’s turbo’s @ 350 indirect for 1hour 40 minutes and no looking, unless to sauce. Most all had good results, except the longer cook times in the foil, they were mushy. Decided to go back to my pre-egg days and see if my old gasser method would work on the egg.

Did them at 350 raised DIRECT. 30 minutes bone side down, flip for 10 minutes, then flip back to the bone side down and sauce for 20 minutes. 1 hour total cook time. These were as good as any I’ve done the other ways and a lot faster, cooking raised direct was a key. I’d call them “super turbo”.

The next day I tried it with St. Louis style ribs and went 1 hour 20 minutes to great ribs. The pics are of the babybacks. If you’re in a hurry, or decide at the last minute you want ribs and don’t want to wait 4 to 5 hours, give this a try.

Looks good.  Might try that variation next.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    Done them 3-2-1, 3-1-1, 5-6 hours smoking on rib rack.  I always come back to turbo ribs with peach wood, Dizzy Pig or Oakridge BBQ.  Always single bite tender and everyone loves them.
    Thats the way these were.

Boiler UP
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Wundering when we're going to see something 'turbo' win on BBQ Pitmasters and or some of the competitions. 
  • Did you foil these at any  time?

• lantzwr
    drewmack said:

Did you foil these at any  time?

No foil at all.  I don't like the texture foiling gives the ribs.  I tried the 3-2-1 method, and just didn't like it.  I will do this method from now on.

Boiler UP