Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm going to make some fajitas today, need some tips

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I want to use some leftover prime rib that has been in foodsaver and frozen since mid-December.  I already thawed and cut into strips and it is marinating in this stuff with some chicken(I'll have to cook separately as I guess the beef will just need to be warmed).image
I was just planning on cooking some green pepper and onions with the chicken in my CI skillet and then throwing on the beef towards the end. Any other seasoning or tips? I guess it's pretty straight forward but I have never made fajitas before. Thanks.
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Do you have any specific questions? It sounds like you are all set! Fajitas is a pretty quick and easy cook. Make your own tortillas if you want to impress! I usually get the egg up to 500 or so, put a cast iron skillet on and preheat it for 15 minutes. Drop in veggies (marinated in your meat marinade to kick them up a notch). Cook the veggies for a bit and then sear the steak. Pull the steak off after it has a nice sear, let it rest a couple minutes and slice on a bias against the grain. Throw the sliced steak back in the skillet with veggies and mix it in (if too rare, cook a couple more minutes)and serve sizzling in the cast iron pan! If doing chicken fajitas I will usually start the chicken before the veggies and throw in some bacon/shrooms/ Swiss to the final mixture. Hope that made sense, post if you have questions!

Oh and here is an easy flour tortilla recipe that I like to use:

2 cups all purpose flour
    Add a tsp salt
    1.5-2 tsp (I just do a heaping tsp) baking powder (leave this out if you don't like fluffy tortillas)
    2 tsp olive oil (you can use lard or crisco if you have it, just need fat)
    Mix it all up until crumbly.
    Add 3/4 cup water
    Knead and form a dough ball
    Separate into 8 round balls
    Let them rest about 30 minutes if you have time, they will be easier to roll out and will puff up more, in my experience.
    Cook for about 30 sec a side with a nonstick or cast iron pan over medium high heat. You know it's time to flip when they start to bubble. Don't worry if you burn one, just take the next one off quicker! Wrap in towels, paper towels, or a tortilla holder until ready to eat. I usually make them while the egg is heating up!

Here is the fajita marinade I go with (pioneer woman). Sometimes I add tequila for fun!

Marinade:
    1/2 cup olive oil
    3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup lime juice (1 lime or so)
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 Tbsp cumin
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp red chile flakes
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp turbinado sugar

Good luck to you!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov
    Options
    Haha, just reread my post and I forgot an important detail if you decide to make the tortillas:

Roll each of the balls out with a rolling pin until they are really thin, then throw em in the skillet!
    - Norman, OK
  • jls9595
    Options
    awesome! thank you for the info, much appreciated!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sometime try a Flatiron marinated in Stubbs beef marinade. ..I do chicken 8 a simple Kroger marinade. Tequila/lime. We like red and yellow peppers. ..adds a sweet flavor.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hoov
    Options
    Sure thing! If you don't have time to make guac or salsa (or hate them), and happen to like sour cream, add some fresh marinade (not stuff the meat has sat in) to some sour cream and bam! You made your own special sauce to drizzle over the finished product!
    - Norman, OK
  • jls9595
    Options
    Hoov said:
    Sure thing! If you don't have time to make guac or salsa (or hate them), and happen to like sour cream, add some fresh marinade (not stuff the meat has sat in) to some sour cream and bam! You made your own special sauce to drizzle over the finished product!
    I'm gonna go ahead and do that tonight

@henapple I will do that next time, swmbo is picking up some orange and red peppers for me right now, I like the color and flavor too.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Boileregger
    Options
    That World Harbors marinade is my favorite commercial fajita marinade...really good stuff. However, I usually rub the meat with achiote paste and let it sit in the fridge for a while, and then marinate it. This really helps give it a nice color.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Love to do what I call corn salsa. 
    4 cobs of corns grilled
    some cilantro chopped 
    2 roma tomatoes diced 
    and goat cheese chunks 

could eat this on crackers 

Also try skirt steak sometime marinated in 
    chopped cilantro
    1 can chipoltle peppers in adobo sauce
    adobo seasoning 
    salt 
    pepper 
    1 lime zested and juiced 
    2 oranges zested and juiced
    put all in food processor and blend cover for up to one day ahead 
    cook to desired liking mine is rare to med rare make sure you cut thin on the bias and against the grain. delicious!  
  • jls9595
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, I have them saved.  Tonight I just used the leftover prime rib and some chicken.  Poblano, green and orange bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and bacon.  It was really good.imageimageimageimageimage
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Options
    Looks great, I'm going to give it a try tommarow.
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    Beer.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    @setdahook +1 on the skirt steak, makes the best fajitas I've ever tasted.
    Cherry Hill, NJ