Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The bottom piece, with holes in it??

Options

I have seen grates that replace this and would like to change out to that.

What is recommended?   And where to get?

Thanks in advance.

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    It's the High-Que you are looking for. Here is the link.

http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Large-Big-Green-Egg-Grill_p_19.html

I got one and it's one of the best purchases I made. Helps a ton on lighting and keeping fire going.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Nice upgrade.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The High-Q grate, best thing to buy. Ensures good airflow, even and reliable fires (at least in my MBGE).

I also have one of their Nomex gaskets on my MBGE, been there for almost two years now, big difference from the BGE high temp gasket. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Reach out to @stlcharcoal and ask about his SS fire grates.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I don't know what size Egg you own, but I don't think they're available for the XL yet.  Somebody will verify this and correct me if I'm wrong though.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I don't know what size Egg you own, but I don't think they're available for the XL yet.  Somebody will verify this and correct me if I'm wrong though.
    The XL has the reputation as the most forgiving egg, it seems to have lots of air-flow with the OME grate - I think that might be why High-Q has not made one, it might not be needed. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jenericzac
    Options
    The high que grate is a great purchase and a huge improvement over the original fire grate. Only wish I would have purchased it sooner. May I also suggest the smokeware chimney cap if you dont already have one
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    The high que grate is a great purchase and a huge improvement over the original fire grate. Only wish I would have purchased it sooner. May I also suggest the smokeware chimney cap if you dont already have one
    second on the grate, I haven't tried the cap but I have been thinking about getting one
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Do these aftermarket grates fit well? I've resisted buying one because I'm worried it will slip while I'm stirring up lump after a cook (dropping all the good lump into the bottom). Am I worried about nothing?
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Hoov said:
    Do these aftermarket grates fit well? I've resisted buying one because I'm worried it will slip while I'm stirring up lump after a cook (dropping all the good lump into the bottom). Am I worried about nothing?
    I have no problems except I did accidentally grab it with the ash tool one time and pull it out.  No biggie.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Hoov said:

They are no different than the cast iron grates that come with the Egg when it comes to fit--stir them hard enough the they'll pop up, just be carful not to hook your stirring tool in the grate itself..  Ours are 15oz and are cut to 10" (slightly larger than the stock grate.)  With the weight of the charcoal and the stainless, they do not move around unless you really get crazy.

Rather than stirring, try using the ash tool like a hoe or a trowel.  Plunge into the bottom of the fire box and pull the charcoal up toward you.  The remaining solid pieces will get pulled up by the tools, and the ash will fall.  I find this to be more effective and less likely to break up the remaining chunks.

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks @stlcharcoal and @jls9595 !
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    my egg is a large. My thought is less work stiring to get rid of ash.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have the HiQ grate and do very little stirring of the old charcoal.  Just a few shallow stirs.  When I do clean out the ash (every 3 or 4 cooks) , I quickly go through it and pick out the larger pieces of unburned charcoal and throw them in the BGE.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

@Eggpharmer......

Why do you disagree?  Did you have a different experience with our grate?

• 1cajuncook
    Options
    Do you have plans for an XL model?
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    Don't disagree, must have hit it by accident. I got one and love it. Sorry for the confusion, think I changed it...
    Austin, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Don't disagree, must have hit it by accident. I got one and love it. Sorry for the confusion, think I changed it...

#:-S   Good deal......you had me worried.
  • chainsaw19
    Options
    @stlcharcoal. I checked your website but don't see info on your grate, can you send me info on where to find your version? I would like to compare with HiQ before purchasing one of these.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

@stlcharcoal. I checked your website but don't see info on your grate, can you send me info on where to find your version? I would like to compare with HiQ before purchasing one of these.

Send me an email, and I'll get you the details. It's expanded stainless steel--crossed hatched.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    The XL has the reputation as the most forgiving egg, it seems to have lots of air-flow with the OME grate - I think that might be why High-Q has not made one, it might not be needed. 
    Absolutely, the most reliable of my Eggs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys