Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opening level with table

Options
After using my BGE in the nest for a couple of years, I am finally going to build a table for it.  My initial thought was to build the table so that the opening of the egg was as close to level with the table top as possible, but almost every picture I have seen has the egg opening several inches above the table.  Is there a reason that it is a bad idea to raise the table (or lower the bottom deck) so the opening sits level with the rest of the table?

Thanks!

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    There needs to be room at the back for the spring assembly. Thats why you will see the egg higher
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Not that I know of, just need at least an inch to 2 inches of space all around.  I agree, I haven't really seen any that are level with the table.  There may be a good reason, if there is I'm sure someone on here will know.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • maxPowers
    Options
    canegger said:
    There needs to be room at the back for the spring assembly. Thats why you will see the egg higher
    I am aware of the hinge issue, so I will need to cut out a section to allow the hinge to operate correctly.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The first post here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161237/new-egg-table has a good example and photo of a table with a cut out for the hinge.
    NOLA
  • maxPowers
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    ...has a good example and photo of a table with a cut out for the hinge.
    Thanks buzd, that is what I was thinking!  Looks sharp, glad to see the idea has real world merit.  @bgephile, Great looking table!  If you are tracking here still,what are the dimensions of the opening and notch that you cut?
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options

I also like the look of bgephile's table. I wouldn't go any lower, you would bust your knuckles when you lower the handle.

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • bgephile
    bgephile Posts: 9
    edited January 2014
    Options
    maxPowersibanda's comment about not going any lower, you also would have a hard time getting to the bolts to tighten/loosen the band.
    - Chris w/ a Large Egg in San Antonio, TX
  • maxPowers
    Options
    bgephile said:
    The diameter of my opening is 22" and the cutout for the hinge is 4.5" deep and 9" wide.
    Thanks @bgephile, appreciate the insight!
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options
    I do see a safety issue with having the opening of the egg level with the table top.  There is bound to be some amount of heat escaping from the meeting of lid and base, especially once your gasket has some wear on it.  A wood table top in close proximity to that heat escape could easily catch fire. I would ensure the lid base meet is 2 inches or so above counter height.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't forget Flashback. Probably not really an issue, but it's a cool pic.  :D

Watch the movie here (scroll to the bottom for the HD version). 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut