Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Need help - cooking Mahi for the first time

Can someone give me a lip-smackin good recipe and the ins and outs of cooking time/temps, etc?

• Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,204
    This is one of the things I find the cast iron grate is good for. I just sprinkle some tsunami spin and cook to about 125 internal. Come out great! 
  • direct heat I assume, at what temp do you cook?
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,204

Yes direct, I get the dome up to about 375 . They don't take long. One thing I have learned is they will stick to the grate if they are not ready to flip. EVO can prevent this.

• FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,897

I usually blacken it in a cast iron pan.  Dip it in melted butter, coat it with blackening seasoning and cook it hot for about a minute per side.

To me, there is something about blackened mahi that just tastes like it is the way it is supposed to be cooked.  If I eat it any other way it tastes good - but like something is missing.  I don't find that to be true of any other fish even though many of them are good when blackened. 

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 2,846
    I like to season with S,P, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook @ 375 til firm. It is a very savory flavor profile. Light on the garlic powder is best.