Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I have eyebrows left?

Options
2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Most of us get hammered and forget this invaluable info and get blasted every once in a while.
    Hmmmm... So true! 

Never had mine flash out the bottom that I've noticed but I can see how it could happen. I suppose a guy could lose his eyebrows and his kneecap hair all in one shot! I had one cook a few weeks ago using a very popular brand of charcoal on the forum. The bag had a lot of fines in it and I had 5 or 6 flashes in one cook even after I thought I had burped it enough. Got to the point where I just used the welding glove on to open the lid for that cook. 

I also find that I get more flashes when I start the egg from the bottom below the fire grate. There's just a lot of oxygen starved coals in the bottom that way. I guess there's trade offs for getting up to cooking temp in 10 minutes. 

By the way, if you're trying to convince a buddy to buy an egg, the flashbacks are a bit intimidating.
    The lower vent one is harder to predict. It happens when the ash clogs up and gasses build up below the lump

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Well, CT does have a pool... image
    That shrinkage bit is classic!  A lot of men all over the world have said at one time or another "I was in the pool!" 
    Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, CT does have a pool... image
    That shrinkage bit is classic!  A lot of men all over the world have said at one time or another "I was in the pool!" 
    "like a scared turtle......"
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options

Like Steve says

Sometimes we forget

Had my biggest one last night. Lit the Egg, got distracted(beer).  Egg was roarin when I got back out, dampered down to get the chicken on, first check , WHOOOOSH

Lit up the neighborhood with this one B-)

Shane

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    When searing or pizza cooks I wear my gloves...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Options

Like Steve says

Sometimes we forget

Had my biggest one last night. Lit the Egg, got distracted(beer).  Egg was roarin when I got back out, dampered down to get the chicken on, first check , WHOOOOSH

Lit up the neighborhood with this one B-)

Shane

I think I saw that from my deck
    /:)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 323
    Options
    Made the decision to get a custom handle before I even got my Egg after reading all the mishaps on here.  Way too forgetful sometimes.

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    When you do a high temp, cook and seal the egg immediately, you have half a cubic yard of superheated fuel (in gas form) inside the egg... just waiting for a rush of oxygen... When you open the egg,...  Puff, the magic dragon emerges and steals your eyebrows and forearm hair.  Ceramic kamados are the worst offenders because they hold the heat and seal out most of the oxygen when they are buttoned up.   
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen LOL
    Coletrain said:
    Ok, what the f#^€k(pardon the language) gives with the major backdraft on these things, really? I cook bbq for a living and have never had what just happened to me happen. Could some please explain the processes for avoiding this?

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Deckhand said:
    When you do a high temp, cook and seal the egg immediately, you have half a cubic yard of superheated fuel (in gas form) inside the egg... just waiting for a rush of oxygen... When you open the egg,...  Puff, the magic dragon emerges and steals your eyebrows and forearm hair.  Ceramic kamados are the worst offenders because they hold the heat and seal out most of the oxygen when they are buttoned up.   
    I like the cut of your jib, sir. Well said

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    Am I the only one who's never had this happen?
  • Shelzegg
    Options
    Lit up the Thunder Bay skyline this evening. I've owned this since December and scared the bejeebers out of me. It actually blew out the top....after burping ~5 minutes before. Lesson learned...
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    The trick is to not get burned blow really hard for five seconds everytime you open the egg.

Or just don't open it fast. I never had a burn but ducked a few when I first started.
    Brampton, Ontario

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    ReldtiCDN said:
    The trick is to not get burned blow really hard for five seconds everytime you open the egg.

Or just don't open it fast. I never had a burn but ducked a few when I first started.

Blow what? How?

I'm not putting my face anywhere near an egg while there is any chance of flashback. Talk about losing eyebrows, you could lose all your hair from the neck up!

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

ReldtiCDN said:

Blow what? How?

I'm not putting my face anywhere near an egg while there is any chance of flashback. Talk about losing eyebrows, you could lose all your hair from the neck up!

Blowing will provide the necessary oxygen and the idea is it will prevent a flashback, but personally.. I'm just burping the egg, I'm not risking damaging the money maker that is ny face.
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    Have had my egg ten years and I still forget on occasion
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Adding oxygen to the hot gasses is what causes flashback. To avoid flashback I take the top vent off and open the bottom vent, then burb. This provides enough air flow to flush the volatile gas from the egg.

I'd be nowhere right now if I had to depend on my good looks to make it in life.

=))
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Haven't done the eyebrow thing but fried my arm hair clean off once. Whoa... not something I'll soon forget.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    ReldtiCDN said:

Blow what? How?

Blowing will provide the necessary oxygen and the idea is it will prevent a flashback, but personally.. I'm just burping the egg, I'm not risking damaging the money maker that is ny face.
    LOL The blowing part was a joke. If you blow hard for five seconds you will be on the floor LOL
    Brampton, Ontario