Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza sauce

Options
Try this.... 1 can of tomato purée 14-16 oz. One small can of tomato paste Splash of red wine 2 tablespoon of olive oil 2 tablespoon of fresh chopped onions 2 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed 1 tablespoon of oregano,basil,marjoram,tyme, combined 1 bay leaf 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 teaspoon white pepper Salt to taste Crushed red peppers to taste Beer to taste Cook the sauce over low to medium heat until it starts to bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Thanks.   I will give it a try.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hmmm...that's a lot of ingredients! I feel like a slacker. I've made all my pies with Cento Crushed San Marzano Tomatoes plus a lil salt. While I love the simplicity of mine, I will give yours a try sometime.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • chappy319
    Options
    It is easy, and so yummy
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Hmmm...that's a lot of ingredients! I feel like a slacker. I've made all my pies with Cento Crushed San Marzano Tomatoes plus a lil salt. While I love the simplicity of mine, I will give yours a try sometime.

A friend if mine that made pies In Italy for year said that's all they did was crushed tomatoes a little garlic and salt and pepper to taste and that's it. When he moved back to Texas he built a mobile brick oven and makes pizzas at bars with this method. But @chappy319 sounds interesting and I will give it a try.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cazzy
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:
    cazzy said:

A friend if mine that made pies In Italy for year said that's all they did was crushed tomatoes a little garlic and salt and pepper to taste and that's it. When he moved back to Texas he built a mobile brick oven and makes pizzas at bars with this method. But @chappy319 sounds interesting and I will give it a try.
    Yeah, this guy is apparently somebody important and all they use is whole peeled tomatoes ran through a food mill (plus salt).

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I've tried those methods out the can but always seems a bit too runny for me. I buy this @2.90 a can makes 6+ pizzas per.
    same ingredients noted above (tomatoes, basil, olive oil )image
    Seattle, WA
  • cazzy
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

I've tried those methods out the can but always seems a bit too runny for me. I buy this @2.90 a can makes 6+ pizzas per.
    same ingredients noted above (tomatoes, basil, olive oil )image

You might be putting too much. That's what I did at first. I'll check that out...never heard of the brand.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    cazzy said:
    ... all they use is whole peeled tomatoes ran through a food mill (plus salt).
    That's all I've been doing lately. It's excellent. I have used other multi-ingredient recipes, including one from Kenji on the Slice blog, but this is SOOO much easier and quite tasty if you find a decent canned tomato.

Caporusco is one of the owners and the pizzaiolo of Kesté in the West Village, Manhattan. He probably has a clue. Kesté is on my list for when I go to the city for my pizza tour with my sons. Also Paulie Gee's. And DiFara. And Motorino. And. And. And....  Gonna be FULL that weekend!! :)

Would like to have included Una Pizza Napoletana, but Mangieri sold the place to Motorino and moved UPN to San Francisco. Oh well.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:
    ... all they use is whole peeled tomatoes ran through a food mill (plus salt).

That's all I've been doing lately. It's excellent. I have used other multi-ingredient recipes, including one from Kenji on the Slice blog, but this is SOOO much easier and quite tasty if you find a decent canned tomato.

Caporusco is one of the owners and the pizzaiolo of Kesté in the West Village, Manhattan. He probably has a clue. Kesté is on my list for when I go to the city for my pizza tour with my sons. Also Paulie Gee's. And DiFara. And Motorino. And. And. And....  Gonna be FULL that weekend!! :)

Would like to have included Una Pizza Napoletana, but Mangieri sold the place to Motorino and moved UPN to San Francisco. Oh well.

Sounds like a good tour! We didn't accomplish everything we wanted to this last trip so I'm definitely going to hit up more pizza spots next trip.

I'm confused about the sauce. Are you using crushed tomatoes (+ salt) or whole peeled tomatoes (+ salt) ran through a food mill. I got the impression you weren't doing the latter.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Is there a reason one can't use regular old spaghetti sauce for pizza
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • cazzy
    Options

No absolutely not and a few on the board do. However, there is nothing easier than grabbing a can of cento crushed tomatoes. Less processed stuff and it will make your pizza sing.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Are you using crushed tomatoes (+ salt) or whole peeled tomatoes (+ salt) ran through a food mill. I got the impression you weren't doing the latter.
    Cazzy, I've done both. And I've added oregano, garlic and onion to some pies. And I've cooked up concoctions similar to the OP's. My last pie used Cento already crushed tomatoes (which were almost as finely strained as my food milled stuff). I have read that home-milled whole tomatoes (canned) are better than already smooth canned tomatoes. For me, it depends on the brand. The Cento pre-crushed were very good with a nothing more than a little added salt. 
    Nope. It's all a matter of personal preference. I enjoy experimenting with different pizza (and pasta) sauce recipes, some very simple, others more complex (like the OPs recipe). 

I used to buy a particular brand of spaghetti sauce (though I never used it on pizza). One day, I was out of it and decided to make my own for some linguini. I liked it. A lot. Haven't used store-bought since. I started making my own pizza sauce because, around here anyway, the selection of sauces labeled "pizza sauce" is very limited, not to mention... bad!

IMO, homemade sauces are just better. And they can be nearly as easy as canned. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    so tell me Carolina Q, do you use garlic from a jar when you make your own?
    :))
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Carolina Q
    edited January 2014
    Options

:D Ha! I actually bought some of that stuff a few years ago. It truly is a "vile spew"!! Used it once, threw the rest away!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Is blending tomatoes a no no? Seems like they lose color and get a different texture. Almost fizz when blended.
    Seattle, WA
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:
    Are you using crushed tomatoes (+ salt) or whole peeled tomatoes (+ salt) ran through a food mill. I got the impression you weren't doing the latter.

Cazzy, I've done both. And I've added oregano, garlic and onion to some pies. And I've cooked up concoctions similar to the OP's. My last pie used Cento already crushed tomatoes (which were almost as finely strained as my food milled stuff). I have read that home-milled whole tomatoes (canned) are better than already smooth canned tomatoes. For me, it depends on the brand. The Cento pre-crushed were very good with a nothing more than a little added salt. 

Nope. It's all a matter of personal preference. I enjoy experimenting with different pizza (and pasta) sauce recipes, some very simple, others more complex (like the OPs recipe). 

I used to buy a particular brand of spaghetti sauce (though I never used it on pizza). One day, I was out of it and decided to make my own for some linguini. I liked it. A lot. Haven't used store-bought since. I started making my own pizza sauce because, around here anyway, the selection of sauces labeled "pizza sauce" is very limited, not to mention... bad!

IMO, homemade sauces are just better. And they can be nearly as easy as canned. 

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for explaining further.

Same thing happened to me...needed some sauce for linguine and made my own. Haven't bought store sauce since.
  • cazzy
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Is blending tomatoes a no no? Seems like they lose color and get a different texture. Almost fizz when blended.

I think if done right it might work. Problem is, it will likely be over blended and release too much water.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Best damn pizza sauce this side of the Mississippi.

I mostly use thinly sliced roma tomatoes with some roasted garlic rubbed into the dough and olive oil but when someone wants a more traditional pizza this is my go to sauce.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I did it with an immersion blender. Once. Just not the same. And it turns the tomatoes orange!

I found an old manual food mill at an antique shop for about $10. Slower of course, but the end product is much better. Oxo supposedly makes a good one too, but I've never tried it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    Options

SkinnyV said:

I did it with an immersion blender. Once. Just not the same. And it turns the tomatoes orange!

I found an old manual food mill at an antique shop for about $10. Slower of course, but the end product is much better. Oxo supposedly makes a good one too, but I've never tried it.

I have the Oxo. Great product and well built.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I go crust, good amount of evo, thin sliced Roma tomatoes, fresh basil and cheese.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    henapple said:
    I go crust, good amount of evo, thin sliced Roma tomatoes, fresh basil and cheese.
    Would love to do that, but I can never find any good Romas! For the last pie I did I used about 2 tbls of canned, crushed tomatoes (Cento) and halved grape tomatoes. FULL of flavor. The fresh tomatoes made this pie!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Stumbled onto this recipe for sauce when looking for something for deep dish.
    Used Kirkland organic canned tomatoes, all we had in the pantry. Came out very well. 
    Have kept hti in the fridge for a week with no issues. It does thicken more as it sits. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Me too

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I recently made Kenji's NY sauce and did not care for it.  I then took a suggestion from the comment section of her recipe and tried it again but with anchovies - still did not like it. I am not sure if it is the sugar I dont like or if I just dont like cooked pizza sauce?  

Anyway, I think a can of high end tomatoes is the best.  All I do is open the can, drain it with a strainer and crush.  I have used hand blender or just crush with some kind of blunt ended kitchen tool.  Sometimes I add herbs and s&p and sometimes just the tomatoes. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    NDG, I like Kenji's NY sauce, but lately, I have been leaning toward the tomato-only "sauce" too (with a little salt). Not having to cook a sauce is always a plus for me.  

And he's a guy. 
    :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    +1 for crushed San Marzano and salt. Sometimes they don't even need salt.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • chappy319
    Options
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    stantrb said:
    +1 for crushed San Marzano and salt. Sometimes they don't even need salt.

I usually get whole ones, drain them, then crush them by hand, just reach in and squeeze. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker