Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Wyoming Whiskey

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I know we have our fair share of whiskey drinkers on this forum. My dad (from Wyoming) sent this in the mail today. Has anybody tried it yet? I had read that the first small batch they made kinda sucked but this second batch is supposed to be pretty good. Just curious if anybody has tried it yet. I will report back tomorrow after I pour me a glass, or maybe not I might be passed out in my fire pit.image

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm 45 minutes from Wyoming, more like we should live there as bad as the wind blows, but I have never seen that brand.  Where did your dad get it?  I'm a Crown drinker, but am always willing to try other stuff.  Let us know how it goes.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    My dad lives in Casper and he went up to the distillery last week in Kirby WY. He's a Jack drinker and said it was pretty good, I remember two years ago when I was home visiting he was telling me the first bottle of the stuff was auctioned off for 15k.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Am I losing it or what?  I had thought that it had to be distilled in Kentucky to be labeled as bourbon.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Am I losing it or what?  I had thought that it had to be distilled in Kentucky to be labeled as bourbon.

I thought that for a long time too, but it's a myth.
    NOLA
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    To be honest I had the Colorado whiskey a while ago and it was pretty damn good. I think a lot of people are trying to cash in on the small batch distillery stuff. Kinda like micro brew beers.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    I don't know how far Casper is, I'm 1:30 from Cheyenne.
    Had some small batch stuff over in Park City, UT a couple of years ago that I thought was good.  Did the sampler at the distillery, but balked at playing 50 for a bottle to take home.
    I age my Crown at home.  Take the cap off, tie the bag up, and set it in the back of the liquor cabinet for 90 days.  Talk about SMOOTH!  Got the idea from an old rancher from out in the Sand Hills.  Thought he was crazy, but it is some of the best stuff.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Any Bourbon can be a Whisky but a whisky cannot be a Bourbon
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    Never seen/tried this WY whiskey. I shall. However I shall share I am very displeased with all Colorado varietals i know. I'm assuming you're referring to stranahans. My arrogant opinion it's garbage. Way overpriced and way to sweet. Anywho. Sorry for incoherent rant.
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    I agree it's over priced, I think I paid 48bucks or something. Maybe it was the Idea in my head that I wasn't drinking anything off the shelf that made me think it was pretty good. Oh well the first drink is always the best the rest just get you drunk.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hey brown, what's the deal with all that unopened booze? Self-defeating.
  • Browninggold
    Options
    Hey brown, what's the deal with all that unopened booze? Self-defeating.

The bottles in front I just came back from the store with. Went back for the WoodFords Malt Classic but like the Malt Straight better. Also picked up single batch Four Roses..all pretty smooth.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    never had it but have had High West out of Utah they have some good ones.  The Colorado one which was also pretty good.  Right now I'm trying to get my hands on some Hudson Baby Bourbon from New York but that one has a wiley one.  I will see if I can find the WYO one now
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Just came across this thread. Most haven't heard of it because it's a real small distillery. Last year the stuff sold out within minutes of it's release. Never had it, but I'm sure part of the reason it sold out was novelty.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    @stemc33‌ thats what my dad had told me and he said they auctioned off a few of the first bottles and they went for a ungodly amount of money.
    My brother said had tasted the first batch and aid it tasted like a wet sock.
    This is their second batch and it's not that bad.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.