Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back prices

Options
SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Got a question about baby backs.

I'm a regular guy, much like the rest of you. Me and my 14 yr old son bought two racks of baby backs @ Walmart last weekend for $12 dollars each. Cooked them up on our BGE ... they came out pretty darn good.

Last night he asked if we could cook some more up this weekend. I told him absolutely!

I just came from our local market, they were selling their baby backs (two to a package) for $44.00. I did the math, that's $22.00 a slab. They were a bit shorter than the ones we got last week, and a bit thicker.

That's alot of money. Are the higher priced baby backs that much better? Am I being cheap?

Tim in Chatsworth
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    You can get them for about $10/rack at Costco, maybe a little less. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you are being cheap, then so am I. I think that ribs are way overpriced, especially when half the weight is bone and a quarter of it is fat! :) Doesn't leave much meat, eh? 

I have a bb rack in my freezer right now. I just looked and it weighs 3 lbs and the list was $15, on sale for $9. And I thought THAT was too much. It's why I don't often buy ribs. I like 'em, but......

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I paid about $12 per slab at a local grocery store last weekend.  I'd shop around if I were you.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'd never pay that much for ribs...keep looking.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thanks everyone, think I'll stick with my $10-12 dollar ribs.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Browninggold
    Options
    BabyBacks @ our local SAMs is usually south of $30 for a pack of 3...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    $2.54 /lb@ cash and carry now in seattle, just picked up a 3 pack with a 12lb brisket.
    Bought a bottle of liquor for first time in a while...$16 in taxes on $50 bottle. Lol last time for that..here at least .
    Seattle, WA
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    3 racks BB / package was about $2.89# two weeks ago. Twin packs of pork tenderloin $1.99#.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Snake River Farms babybacks are 8/$124, or about $15 per.  So there's that.
    NOLA
  • Duranhler
    Options
    Baby backs go on sale on a regular basis around here (Phoenix metro). Usually $2.99 a lb. A few weeks ago, Fry's (Kroger) had them for $1.99 a lb, single slabs, limit 2. Well, naturally I went to Fry's on 4 separate occasions & got my limit!!
    The grocers will also have a buy 1 get 2 free & that usually works out to around $3 a lb.
    I've got a good selection of grocers who all compete. Fry's, Albertson's, Safeway, Basha's (Local independent) Wal Mart, Target, Sam's & Costco all within a 4 mile radius.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • Duranhler
    Options
    GK59 said:
    3 racks BB / package was about $2.89# two weeks ago. Twin packs of pork tenderloin $1.99#.
    That's a good price for pork tenderloin!
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser