Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baby back prices

SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 772
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Got a question about baby backs.

I'm a regular guy, much like the rest of you. Me and my 14 yr old son bought two racks of baby backs @ Walmart last weekend for $12 dollars each. Cooked them up on our BGE ... they came out pretty darn good.

Last night he asked if we could cook some more up this weekend. I told him absolutely!

I just came from our local market, they were selling their baby backs (two to a package) for $44.00. I did the math, that's $22.00 a slab. They were a bit shorter than the ones we got last week, and a bit thicker.

That's alot of money. Are the higher priced baby backs that much better? Am I being cheap?

Tim in Chatsworth
Chatsworth Ca.
·

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,572
    You can get them for about $10/rack at Costco, maybe a little less. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,382
    If you are being cheap, then so am I. I think that ribs are way overpriced, especially when half the weight is bone and a quarter of it is fat! :) Doesn't leave much meat, eh? 

I have a bb rack in my freezer right now. I just looked and it weighs 3 lbs and the list was $15, on sale for $9. And I thought THAT was too much. It's why I don't often buy ribs. I like 'em, but......
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • I paid about $12 per slab at a local grocery store last weekend.  I'd shop around if I were you.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,950
    I'd never pay that much for ribs...keep looking.
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 772
    Thanks everyone, think I'll stick with my $10-12 dollar ribs.
    Chatsworth Ca.
    ·
  • BabyBacks @ our local SAMs is usually south of $30 for a pack of 3...
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,661
    $2.54 /lb@ cash and carry now in seattle, just picked up a 3 pack with a 12lb brisket.
    Bought a bottle of liquor for first time in a while...$16 in taxes on $50 bottle. Lol last time for that..here at least .
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    3 racks BB / package was about $2.89# two weeks ago. Twin packs of pork tenderloin $1.99#.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 1,224

Snake River Farms babybacks are 8/$124, or about $15 per.  So there's that.
    NOLA
    ·
  • Baby backs go on sale on a regular basis around here (Phoenix metro). Usually $2.99 a lb. A few weeks ago, Fry's (Kroger) had them for $1.99 a lb, single slabs, limit 2. Well, naturally I went to Fry's on 4 separate occasions & got my limit!!
    The grocers will also have a buy 1 get 2 free & that usually works out to around $3 a lb.
    I've got a good selection of grocers who all compete. Fry's, Albertson's, Safeway, Basha's (Local independent) Wal Mart, Target, Sam's & Costco all within a 4 mile radius.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
    ·
  • GK59 said:
    3 racks BB / package was about $2.89# two weeks ago. Twin packs of pork tenderloin $1.99#.
    That's a good price for pork tenderloin!
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
    ·