Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baby back prices

SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 1,034
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Got a question about baby backs.

I'm a regular guy, much like the rest of you. Me and my 14 yr old son bought two racks of baby backs @ Walmart last weekend for $12 dollars each. Cooked them up on our BGE ... they came out pretty darn good.

Last night he asked if we could cook some more up this weekend. I told him absolutely!

I just came from our local market, they were selling their baby backs (two to a package) for $44.00. I did the math, that's $22.00 a slab. They were a bit shorter than the ones we got last week, and a bit thicker.

That's alot of money. Are the higher priced baby backs that much better? Am I being cheap?

Tim in Chatsworth
Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,626
    You can get them for about $10/rack at Costco, maybe a little less. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,673
    If you are being cheap, then so am I. I think that ribs are way overpriced, especially when half the weight is bone and a quarter of it is fat! :) Doesn't leave much meat, eh? 

I have a bb rack in my freezer right now. I just looked and it weighs 3 lbs and the list was $15, on sale for $9. And I thought THAT was too much. It's why I don't often buy ribs. I like 'em, but......

Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT!   ... Jon Stewart

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I paid about $12 per slab at a local grocery store last weekend.  I'd shop around if I were you.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,332
    I'd never pay that much for ribs...keep looking.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 1,034
    Thanks everyone, think I'll stick with my $10-12 dollar ribs.
    Chatsworth Ca.
  • BabyBacks @ our local SAMs is usually south of $30 for a pack of 3...
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,742
    $2.54 /lb@ cash and carry now in seattle, just picked up a 3 pack with a 12lb brisket.
    Bought a bottle of liquor for first time in a while...$16 in taxes on $50 bottle. Lol last time for that..here at least .
    Seattle, WA
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    3 racks BB / package was about $2.89# two weeks ago. Twin packs of pork tenderloin $1.99#.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• buzd504buzd504 Posts: 1,332

Snake River Farms babybacks are 8/$124, or about $15 per.  So there's that.
    NOLA
  • Baby backs go on sale on a regular basis around here (Phoenix metro). Usually $2.99 a lb. A few weeks ago, Fry's (Kroger) had them for $1.99 a lb, single slabs, limit 2. Well, naturally I went to Fry's on 4 separate occasions & got my limit!!
    The grocers will also have a buy 1 get 2 free & that usually works out to around $3 a lb.
    I've got a good selection of grocers who all compete. Fry's, Albertson's, Safeway, Basha's (Local independent) Wal Mart, Target, Sam's & Costco all within a 4 mile radius.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • GK59 said:
    3 racks BB / package was about $2.89# two weeks ago. Twin packs of pork tenderloin $1.99#.
    That's a good price for pork tenderloin!
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser