Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket & Pork Shoulder Cook Questions?

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
We have a bunch of people coming over this weekend and all of em really like to eat! I have two L eggs but I would like to try to do low n slow on one and keep the other one open for apps and other quick cooks during the day. I have an AR and I also have a Weber grid with bolts so I have a few different ways I can set up the cook. I will also be using my CyberQ to take care of pit temp as I know there will be a few brewskis downed with this cook going on. I have made several briskets (all select grade) and lots of pork shoulders so I have some ideas about what I'm doing but I'm always open to eggspert advice. I have searched the forum and found some info but much of it was several years old so I thought I would ask some fresh questions.

I have a 12lb untrimmed prime packer that I think will end up at about 9.5-10 lbs after trimming. I was also thinking I might pick up a couple of pork shoulders since this crew likes to eat. 

I usually do my pork shoulders at 225-250 fat side down. If I put the pork on the top grid, will the pork fat drippings mess up the brisket? Should I do the brisket fat side up to protect it? I'm very excited to take a stab at this prime brisket! With this one being prime and having a higher fat content, will it reduce cook time by much? The last brisket I did was about 10lbs and went for about 17 hours. I know the pig turns out great at that temp for me and I'm still trying to master the perfect brisket.

I have the oval stone and foil ring from CGS but I don't  think that will catch all the grease. Maybe I need to pick up a foil pan so I don't have a grease fire.

I'm assuming Hickory for smoke? I like Oak on brisket but I'm not sure that is good on pork? I like Hickory, Apple, and Cherry on my pig. Suggestions? I will either use Rockwood or WGWW for lump.

The air is VERY dry here right now and this cook will be in 0 degree weather. I don't usually mess with a water pan but I'm wondering if I should on this one? I know the egg keeps a lot of moisture in but I don't want a dry brisket due to no relative humidity.

I think we will eat about 6 PM on Saturday eve - I will FTC until then. I would like to have them done by 3-4 PM. Suggestions on cook time?

Thanks in advance for all the tips - Moh
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I would aim to get the brisket and shoulder done 4 or 5 hours early and then foil them and hold them in a cooler till you are ready to serve.  Now you have both eggs available and it gives you some flexibility if things don't go exactly as planned.  I don't bother with the water pan and the only time I had a dry brisket was when I pulled it too early and it was under cooked.

Gerhard
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

I would put the brisket on about 11 PM or midnight and get the egg stabilized at a relatively low temp (220-230 ideally).  Then when you get up in the morning you can reassess and raise the temp if necessary to get it done on time. 

I would do the pork on your second egg as a turbo at 350 starting early in the morning.   It will take no more (probably less) than 60 minutes per pound if you don't foil and can go faster if you foil. 

Both cooks should be done in time to cook appetizers.  The other advantages are 1) you don't have the issue of dripping one onto the other (although pork flavored brisket may not be a bad thing it could affect the quality of your bark) and 2) you will never be in a situation where you simultaneously want to crank up the temp for the brisket and slow down the cook on the pork - or vice versa.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• minniemoh
    Options
    @gerhardk and @Foghorn. Excellent points - thanks for your responses guys. I guess if I use both eggs, then I can put the "right" smoke on the meat too. 

Does anyone find any major differences in boneless pork butts vs bone-in? I have only done bone-in and have always been quite pleased with the results.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I've only done boneless pork butts from Costco and have been very pleased with the results. When I rub it with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk I get comments (from pretty savvy tasters) like "Wow - that is the best BBQ I have ever tasted"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• minniemoh
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I get comments (from pretty savvy tasters) like "Wow - that is the best BBQ I have ever tasted"
    That's what I'm looking for! I usually use Meathead's Memphis Dust. I have injected with Chris Lilly's injection recipe too and that seemed to take it up a notch in my opinion. There was definitely more moisture after the pull.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Good luck!  Take pics and let us know how it goes.

San Antonio, TX

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Pork drippings on brisket isn't bad tastewise but it does mess with the brisket bark. I agree with Foghorn's suggestion to use both Eggs and as you pointed out, allows you to use different smoke woods on each.

As for boneless vs bone-in, I haven't noticed a major difference but prefer bone-in (allows for wiggling the bone to test for doneness & easier to inject).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Well, checking back in on this thread. 

I put the brisket on at midnight at 225 degrees with Oak and used the CyberQ to control pit temp. I had to bump up the temp to get it done by 6:30 PM on Sat night. It took a solid 2 hrs per pound to get done. Probed like butter. Finally nailed it! I used Black Ops Brisket Rub and I couldn't believe how good it was. 

I was trying to put the pork butts on at 2:00 AM on Sat morning but I fell asleep waiting for the egg to come to temp. I woke up at 5:00 AM to my egg at 650 degrees and half my load of lump burned. The meat was still in the fridge...  Not a good start. Got the egg shut down to cool and restarted with more lump and new chunks of hickory. It didn't take long to cool it off as it was about 8 below zero. I put on the pig on at 7:00 AM at 250 and bumped the temp to 275 after 6 hrs. Then finished at 325 and had it done and in the FTC cooler by 5:30 PM. The higher pit temp to finish was a little hard on my rub as it has a lot of sugar in it. I thought I could taste a little burn to it but everyone else loved it. I just love to use Chris Lilly's pork shoulder injection. It seems to make the leftovers retain a lot more moisture too.

Unfortunately, the only pic I got was after I prepped the meat. When I began serving, I had 16 starving people that were expecting to eat at 5:30 and we didn't serve until 8:00. All said and done, I'm glad I used two separate eggs so I could get things done at the right temp and use the right wood for smoke. If I had a couple less beers on Friday night, I think the cook would have gone a little better by me not falling asleep as the egg was coming to temp. Oh well, gotta keep the cook lubed up too right?! 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Foghorn
    Options

Sounds like a good time overall.  Keeping the cook well-lubed is important.  That applies to hungry guests as well if the food is taking longer than expected.

However, a top-notch brisket is worth the wait.

Given your situation in the morning, I probably would have gone with a low (or no) sugar rub on the pork at cooked at 350 from the beginning, but what you did worked for you and the taste you were looking for so that's great.

San Antonio, TX

• minniemoh
    Options
    @Foghorn - It sure was a great weekend. As far as the pig, it was already injected and rubbed before I fell asleep. If I had stayed awake for another 15-20 minutes, it would have been on the egg and no problem. Things all turned out well in the end. 

We did lube the guests and I think a good time was had by all.  I guess that's why they call it USDA Prime. I was just amazed by how good it turned out. I've never had brisket that moist and tender. My brother-in-law missed the party and I was telling him about it. He says he has to be here next time or it was a fluke! LOL! I think I need to send him to get a prime brisket and I'll cook it. 
    :D
    eggAddict from MN!