Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova..what vessel do you use?

Options
Just settled on an Anova...looks like there is a 3 week wait...I found a pretty good size cambro container on Amazon for 23 bucks but its another 17 to ship...wondering what others are using as a vessel?
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    You can grab some cheap stock pots, need to be 8" depth for the Anova. The ultra cheap aluminum stock pots would never do for actual cooking on a range top or burner, but work fine for sous vide.I also bungie a towel around the pot to help retain the heat. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options

Just settled on an Anova...looks like there is a 3 week wait...I found a pretty good size cambro container on Amazon for 23 bucks but its another 17 to ship...wondering what others are using as a vessel?

Try foodservicewearhouse.com. I ordered that same cambro container that amazon has but the shipping was $8. Just got it yesterday, it's still in the box.

Bloomfield, NJ
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Did this a couple times but was nervous about the unit falling over not being clamped to anything.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What about using a cooler?  The max clamp opening is 1.25 inches. Seems like it would fit over the edge of a thinner (cheap) cooler.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    TFols said:

Did this a couple times but was nervous about the unit falling over not being clamped to anything.

Let's see some more pictures of that countertop
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Good feedback. ..do you guys find that your containers sweat quite a bit? I saw a video on YouTube where a dude wraps his in a blanket like you might find in a sunshade then nests his vessel into a bigger unit...
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    TFols said:

I don't trust my luck doing it this way...I have two kids and I think I would be asking for toouble
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options

What about using a cooler?  The max clamp opening is 1.25 inches. Seems like it would fit over the edge of a thinner (cheap) cooler.

I have a cooler I use for ftc but it's a bit small...I was going to hunt for a new one this spring...so I thought about using my old one...any concern getting that plastic that warm? I saw some pics where a few folks cut a hole right in the top...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I use a really big stockpot if I'm doing a lot, a smaller stockpot if just doing a few pieces. I need something else to store like a hole in the head.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    TFols said:

Try foodservicewearhouse.com. I ordered that same cambro container that amazon has but the shipping was $8. Just got it yesterday, it's still in the box.

Good call...unit was 3 bucks cheaper too...I can get the box and lid cheaper then just the box on amazon...
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options

I use a really big stockpot if I'm doing a lot, a smaller stockpot if just doing a few pieces. I need something else to store like a hole in the head.

I hear you there...
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Good call...unit was 3 bucks cheaper too...I can get the box and lid cheaper then just the box on amazon...
    Which one did you order Mike?  I need to do something for my Anova as well.  The stock pot I've been using is tall enough, but will not hold a lot volume wise.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I haven't pulled the trigger yet...but I am thinking these...
    Cambro (12189CW135) - 4.75 Gal Polycarbonate Food Storage Boxes - Camwear http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/cambro/12189cw135/p9982.aspx

And the lid
    Cambro (1218CCW135) - Half-Size Flat Lid for Food Box - Camwear

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/cambro/1218ccw135/p1454647.aspx
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Btw...looks like a little modification might be necessary to clear the lip and to the lid if you want max effectiveness. ..check this out starting at about 5:30
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    i use an igloo "playmate" cooler
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I just watched the Anova video on their website - looks awesome!  I always thought of a sous-vide setup as an aquarium with a clunky machine attached with confusing buttons.  This thing looks pretty easy and only $199 . . . hmmmmm 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I looked at lot of units... and I must admit the idea of building my own was tempting, but in the end I decided on the anova. . The three week wait is gonna suck (sounds like they are behind after the holidays)...but it gives me time to do more research and get my plan together... I'm considering cold smoking some steaks with the amazin first then sous vide then a sear at the end...Also looking forward to the veggies with the anova...
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited January 2014
    Options