Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini BGE

I am considering purchasing a Mini BGE. What is your opinion regarding also purchasing a platesetter with the Mini? They now have one listed as a "new item." Appreciate your input.
LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    I would definitely get an indirect piece whether it's the platesetter or the mini woo ring with ceramic stone.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited January 2014
    If this will be your only Egg, I would be waiting to buy a larger size.  If you already have a larger Egg, then the  Mini can be a nice compliment.  My 2

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    I have that setup and love it.Some don't like the plateset but I do.Either way you'll love the mini. .
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Mini platesetter gives you just a touch more space than the popular mini woo.  I like mine.  Be sure to get the mini with the notched fire ring.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2014
    Save your $$ on the platesitter and get the mini woo ring with ceramic stones. They are the wok holder, holder for the CI Griddle and holder for the stones. So much more for your Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Good point @Mickey. I hope to win a Mini at Salado. Please put in a good word for me!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Chris, he'll start getting liquored up and forget the raffle. ..Trust me.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Done deal. It has been ordered. This will compliment my LBGE. Thanks for all of the input.  chashans
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Mickey
    Good point @Mickey. I hope to win a Mini at Salado. Please put in a good word for me!

What @henapple said in the post just above. We forgot a Yeti last year.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    We.. you got a mouse in your pocket?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    henapple said:
    We.. you got a mouse in your pocket?

I forgot. Crap Tony, don't you have a few Larges to move somewhere?

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Mickey said:

Did it happen to go home with you after @Mickey ?
    =))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I am poor , so instead of plate setter I have two metal rods laid across fire ring, then 8" lodge cast iron skillet with handle cut off, then foil in the lodge, then place grate on top. Offset foil slightly from bottom of lodge so grease doesn't smoke
  • Mickey
    Griffin said:

Mickey said:

Did it happen to go home with you after @Mickey ?
    =))
    No but I did buy a 45 two days ago. That was a 35 they were going to give away.

• Mickey
    edited January 2014
    odie91 said:

I am poor , so instead of plate setter I have two metal rods laid across fire ring, then 8" lodge cast iron skillet with handle cut off, then foil in the lodge, then place grate on top. Offset foil slightly from bottom of lodge so grease doesn't smoke

Very good way to go and you have a way to put a very good crust on a steak. One thing you may or may not do is if real (lots of) grease I salt the catch pan as well as alum foil

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    odie91 said:
    Great tip odie91!  Thank you.