Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Rib Advice

Options
Alright, my head is about to explode. I want to do some beef ribs this weekend, best I can understand is there are Beef Back Ribs & Beef Short Ribs. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that one. What I would like to know as well is what are the most common beef ribs everyone cooks and they seem to be egged similar to Baby Back Ribs. It also seems different styles are more commonly available than others, please chime in here as well. I will continue searching the forum but I would like to know which ones my fellow eggers cook and how you cook them. Thanks

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Here's a link that does a good job of eggsplaining beef ribs:
    Around here short ribs are the most prevalent and that's good as the back ribs means the butcher makes a killing on the bones as there is more meat on the short ribs.  I'm sure those from Texas will chime in with even more info.  They are great!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    All I can tell you is the "ribeye" was cut from under these. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Nice, great info.. Thanks
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I enjoy beef back ribs, particularly if I can find some with a good amount of meat left on them: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I like to cook them around 275-300 for about 3 1/2 hours.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
    I do beef back ribs. No need to really add a whole lot in the way of seasoning as they come from the back of the ribeye portion, which is very tender and flavorful.  A little salt and pepper should be about all you need.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Wow, great pictures and advice
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Since everybody is showing back ribs, I thought I'd show you short ribs for a comparison. I like to put a little smoke on them and then braise in a dutch oven with a red wine sauce

a

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Ok...my turn   :-\"

imageimage

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Did you sous-vide those Caz?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Ok...my turn   :-\"

imageimage

That Sir is not ribs, it is steak with a handle.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    Options

Did you sous-vide those Caz?

Nope, did these on the egg. 250 for a hour, then 300 the rest of the way.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Ok, now that I have all this great advice where the hell do you buy these damn things at. Seems our local stores only sell them around the holidays.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    I can usually (about 60% of the time) find short ribs at the big-box grocer, Kroger, in the meat section.  About one time in 8-10 they will have the back ribs.  Local butcher always has a rack or two of the back ribs but not as regular with short ribs.  I'm sure I could special order them but I am fine with what I find.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I got the ribs - which would normally be cut into short ribs.   Had the butcher not cut them - left them whole.    Maybe best meat I have ever cooked.imageimageimage
    Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    Options
    FYI - Got them at Kroger.
    Cookin in Texas
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    boatbum said:
    FYI - Got them at Kroger.
    They look beautiful!  Yours are in fact Plate Short Ribs, says by the 3 bones.  I totally want to try those.  Mine were Beef Chuck Ribs, which is why they had 4 bones.  The texture on the last pic looks awesome!

Read this article:

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I can usually (about 60% of the time) find short ribs at the big-box grocer, Kroger, in the meat section.  About one time in 8-10 they will have the back ribs.  Local butcher always has a rack or two of the back ribs but not as regular with short ribs.  I'm sure I could special order them but I am fine with what I find.  FWIW-
    Any Oriental market

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• boatbum
    Options

Just read the article cazzy - thanks for sharing - was a good read.

The point about economics hit home.   Franklin talked about cost of 10 per rib including his prep/cooking costs.   Course he is buying wholesale.

Those 3 ribs you see cost somewhere in the mid 30's.

The flavor, tenderness - wow - those were more flavorful and tender than any brisket I have ever had ( not limiting to my briskets).

Thought it was a 5 hour cook - wound up being closer to 7 or 8 - cooked real low.    Kept waiting for butter feel.  Kinda screwed up dinner that night - but will Definitely do them again.

Cookin in Texas
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for sharing pic and comments. I found what the butcher called plate ribs, 4 bones, $27 after he discounted for the weight of the bone.
  • cazzy
    Options

Thanks again everyone for sharing pic and comments. I found what the butcher called plate ribs, 4 bones, $27 after he discounted for the weight of the bone.

Mined called them plate ribs too but those are beef chuck ribs. You'll love them too!
  • cazzy
    Options
    boatbum said:

Just read the article cazzy - thanks for sharing - was a good read.

The point about economics hit home.   Franklin talked about cost of 10 per rib including his prep/cooking costs.   Course he is buying wholesale.

Those 3 ribs you see cost somewhere in the mid 30's.

The flavor, tenderness - wow - those were more flavorful and tender than any brisket I have ever had ( not limiting to my briskets).

Thought it was a 5 hour cook - wound up being closer to 7 or 8 - cooked real low.    Kept waiting for butter feel.  Kinda screwed up dinner that night - but will Definitely do them again.

What temp did you cook them at? They ain't cheap, that's for sure. They are definitely worth it though.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I enjoy beef back ribs, particularly if I can find some with a good amount of meat left on them: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I like to cook them around 275-300 for about 3 1/2 hours.

Those are awesome. Wish I could find a couple racks like that.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Terrebandit, that was a rare find for me to get them with that much meat. They probably let that butcher go because he let too much ribeye meat go for 1/3 the price! I haven't been as lucky in the couple years since.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    love beef ribs, for back ribs google nibble me this recipe it seems to go very well. 

for plate ribs (these were chuck ribs) my Kroger cuts them in store for chuck short ribs but I bought whole plates, I did a modified APL recipe that was awesome HERE

Note they are labor intensive (compared to my normal simple approach)

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Little Steven  but if you run a paring knife around the bones it helps with the pull back and you get almost a meat lollipop of beefy awesomeness!