Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum

I took @NecessaryIndulg advice from the other day and used Bon Appetit's recipe for dressing (Kristi - I was eyeballing that recipe, you mentioning it sealed the deal). Stuck pretty close to it, but upped the garlic, mustard and Parm cheese in it. So good, I was wiping the bowl I mixed it in (after I poured the rest in a mason jar) with some bread we had laying around. Speaking of bread, made some croutons. Seasoned 'em with salt, pepper and a touch of cayenne.

The Romaine lettuce got a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkled with some salt, pepper and tossed on the Egg at 450F. 2 minutes cut side down, roll 1/3 of the way for another minute, roll another 1/3 for the final minute. Then allowed to cool at room temp for 5-10 minutes (I don't like hot lettuce)

Just a bit of a char

Chopped up some of the leftover chicken and we built our salads. Mrs. G does a better job of plating up, so I'll show you her plate

This will be the dressing we make from now on.

Got a batch of the olive oil dough going right now from The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day for pizzas tonight. First time using this recipe. We'll see how it goes.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Griffin
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention...cut off the bottom portion of the Romaine lettuce. Lots of sediment gets trapped in there and your really can't wash it out if you leave it whole. Anyway, cut it off after you take it off the grill, not before. It holds all the leaves together so leave it on till after you have grilled it.

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks awesome @Griffin.  Thanks for passing along the recommendation for the dressing.  I will definitely ask the wife to whip up a batch.  Nice touch on the grilled romaine.   

I'm off carbs for a while, so I'm totally drooling over the croutons and the thought of sopping it up with bread ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Awesome cook.  I have had grilled wedge salads at restaurants a couple times and always wanted to try it at home.  You have taken all the guess work out of it now.  Thanks!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    That looks great @Griffin. I like the chicken and the fact you made your own dressing. I'll have to try that soon.

Grilled Romaine has become a regular start to a lot of our meals. It's really the perfect way to keep your guests relaxed during the rest period for the steaks and chops. I'm sure there are a lot of ways to do it. Our method is a slight variation from @Griffin

I use a silicone sauce brush to just barely apply EVOO from a bowl rather than drizzle (when I drizzle, it gets too soggy for my taste), dust with a little garlic salt, and grill the cut side only. Then brush on a very light coating of Asian Sesame dressing (we use the Panera Bread bottled brand), sprinkle a little shredded Parm, a few fresh bacon crumbles, and fresh cracked pepper. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Fantastic looking salad.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Great looking meal! Glad you liked the dressing, it's simply addicting. :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    My wife Loves Caesar Salad but never attempted to do our own dressing.  We made this last night and it was surprisingly a stand out cook - she loved it!   We used BGE chicken thigh meat and a loaf of rosemary bread for the croutons. I would not have thought this recipe was worth the extra time, so thank you for posting. 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Options
    Looks good and heatlhy. Did you grill your lettuce? @NDG

Rowlett, Texas

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I have grilled Romaine in the past (loved it) but I did not this time.  We just got a hand blender and it worked great for the dressing, thinking we will trying out other homemade dressings soon.  Also, this was the first time I "coddled" an egg . . very cool.  Thanks again for posting.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Options
    I need to get me one of them stick blender immersion blender thingee majigs.

Rowlett, Texas

• twelvebeer
    Options

I love the dressing and have made in twice already. I have bought two cans of anchovies and dont use a whole can at a time. Can you store the unused anchovies packed in olive oil in the fridge?

• Griffin
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I believe so. That is what I did. Plan on making another batch with the rest of mine tonight or tomorrow.

Rowlett, Texas

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Excellent looking cook.  I love Ceaser Salad.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

I love the dressing and have made in twice already. I have bought two cans of anchovies and dont use a whole can at a time. Can you store the unused anchovies packed in olive oil in the fridge?

I wouldn't store them in an open tin, if that's what your using - put them in plastic.  I use jarred anchovies and they keep in oil for quite a while.
    NOLA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Anchovy paste in a tube is what I use. Just wonder if there is a big difference in flavor between the tube and jar? Good looking salad Griff. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I don't know but I use a bunch of worchestershire and more lemon in mine and make the whole dressing in the salad bowl using a wooden spoon. Lot's of arm work but real Caesar should have some solid bits. I use 100% olive oil too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON