Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a little help with pig anatomy?

Options
I want to make "American style brown sugar glaze ham" in the Charcuterie book that Cen-Tex made. Recipe calls for a fresh ham with an aitch bone removed. All I can find are butts and picnics. Would it make a huge difference or should I seek out a "fresh ham"? ;;)
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Typically a fresh ham is a back leg - large and lean and easy to carve. Picnics are the front leg going up to the shoulder with more cartilage and connective tissue and a pain in the a#s to slice neatly. The butt, as you probably already know is the shoulder - wonderful, fatty, moist and great low and slow but won't carve anything like a ham and probably why it gets pulled. I'd go for the ham for that recipe.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Going to look for a ham. ;;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    If it says to remove the aitch bone then it is referring to the hind end.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Thanks. Where are all the hind ends? I can't find one in our area. I call the meat markets and grocery stores. ;;)
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

All we have are hind ends here.  I wonder where all the front ends are?
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2014
    Options
    If I understand it correctly, a fresh ham isn't really a ham. It is neither cured nor smoked, just a pork loin tasting cut. If you buy a butt or shoulder, you will be starting with a whole different, umm, animal.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrannyX4
    Options
    In Florida!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is that wrong?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    If I understand it correctly, a fresh ham isn't really a ham. It is neither cured nor smoked, just a pork loin tasting cut. If you buy a butt or shoulder, you will be starting with a whole different, umm, animal.

I guess there is a big difference between the front end and the back end. I have never cooked a fresh ham before. Cen-Tex's ham looked so good and I wanted to give it a go. Who knew it would be so hard to find.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    In Central PA, you can easily find fresh hams starting just after Thanksgiving until New Years.  After that, need to talk to a butcher.
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Hope this works.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I'll try this

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Arrrrghhhh

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    henapple said:
    Is that wrong?
    @henapple quit moonin us. :@)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Little Steven
    Options

One more

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    LS. Loser
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Can't wait to see the pic @Little_Steven is trying to post following the pic of the 'pork butt'
    Options

That is Firefox, IE with compatibility on and compatibility off! Can not post links or pics anymore. Here it is manually http://virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

http://virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Options
    Not what I was expecting, but a great reference.
    Options
    Good info on that forum

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrannyX4
    Options
    Thank you @LittleSteven. It is a great visual chart. I called 5 grocery stores and 2 meat markets today looking for the fresh ham. I will plan a little further ahead next time I want to make a cured fresh ham. ;;)
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Find a small butcher shop or meat market near you. They typically order special requests, Or, if you have a Publix near you, talk to the meat manager. They can place special orders, too.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    GrannyX4, thank you for posting this. I can no longer eat standard ham as it contains a gazzilion mg of sodium. However, your post got me thinking. I don't have the Charcuterie book, but I did find this...

Not ham ham, but it has only 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a 10 lb piece of meat! Plus whatever sodium pork has naturally. It simply cannot taste the same as the ham I am used to, it just can't, but it might be an acceptable alternative. I intend to find out.

Good luck finding your fresh ham! Thanks again!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrannyX4
    Options
    Yep, they would place the order but I wanted to cook it for the Super Bowl and today was the day it needed to go in the brine. I didn't think it would be that hard to find. Also I didn't know the difference between the front end and the back but nowwwwwww I do. ;;)
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Huge difference. Completely different texture. If you get a slightly smaller ham, or cut more of the leg hock off, you could still get it brined properly. Some people even inject with brine prior to putting in the brine to cut down on time and make sure they get even brining throughout meat. You have 10 days if you find one tomorrow. Normal brine recommendation is one day for every 2 lbs, I believe. A 10 pounder would only need a five day soak. Most whole fresh hams you find will be around 12-15 lbs.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @CarolinaQ I look forward to your cooking experiment. I hope you will post the results. @Mayberry you are right that I could get a smaller one for a shorter curing time but life sometimes gets in the way and I don't have the time to fudge with it. Today was my one and only day. ;;)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Thank you @LittleSteven. It is a great visual chart. I called 5 grocery stores and 2 meat markets today looking for the fresh ham. I will plan a little further ahead next time I want to make a cured fresh ham. ;;)
    If you have an Oriental market nearby you might get one. My local one had them on sale for $0.69 per pound when I was in last.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Thanks. Where are all the hind ends? I can't find one in our area. I call the meat markets and grocery stores. ;;)
    I think they are all in Congress :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    billyray said:
    GrannyX4 said:
    I think they are all in Congress :))

My thoughts too!
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    If you have an Oriental market nearby you might get one. My local one had them on sale for $0.69 per pound when I was in last.

Never thought about an Asian market. I will check them out too.