Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What end to you peel your banana from

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
So as not to highjack the Boneless Banana thread, thought I'd start fresh.  For all my almost 60 years, when eating a banana, I've peeled it from the stem end.  Never saw it done any other way.  Recently learned that is wrong.  If you watch a monkey eat a banana, they peel from the other (non stem) end.  Tried this today, and it is so much easier, and you don't get the 'strings' when peeling.  My son pointed out that in cartoons they do it this way as well.  Whenever someone slips on a banana peel, the stem end is intact.  He is now peeling from the bottom as well.

I really need to find a good cook to post.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Lol, been drinking again? :)) I've always peeled from stem end, need to try from the "bottom".
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    From the non stem after this dude's video went viral several years back.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    FYI...kids love learning this so spread the word to them.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Dammit, now I gotta go get a banana !!!!

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    That's a rather personal question sir!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    OK, I apologize. After seeing the video @cazzy posted, I just tried it. Mind Blown...

Just showed my kids. Thanks @tjcooley!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    I'm going to take my time and make sure this is perfect.

I do what I want and I open it my way!

One day I will wreck Kobayashi!!

• cazzy
    I really should work!  lol
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

Be 53 years old in March and never heard of such a thing.....now I can't wait to get home and try it.....

Bought bananas last night to grill on the egg....too busy with ribs, PTL, and peach cobbler to cook them.....now I know there is a reason for everything !!!!!

Great post and great topic !!!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Learn something new every day-thanks for the info.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I just heard this recently, our oldest was working in an ice cream parlor and came home and told us we have been doing it wrong all these years. It does peel easier from the bottom, but still find myself going to the stem.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Been opening banana's from the bottom up for fifty years, ever since I saw a monkey do so at the zoo when I was eight.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    There is no other social site like the BGEF.  I have been having a banana and a yogurt for breakfast most mornings for several years, and now I know I have been doing it wrong.  I will be reborn for bananas starting tomorrow morning.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    This just proves that I'm not a monkey.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • How about this one?

Flint, Michigan
  • I have never heard of that and now I am pissed because I just peeled our last banana for my son about 30 min ago
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • So I feel kind of like a renegade here, but I've never found it all that difficult to peel a banana in the first place.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I had a monkey **** brown Plymouth back in the seventies

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    So I feel kind of like a renegade here, but I've never found it all that difficult to peel a banana in the first place.

Good point, however I always found it easy to light the Egg using lighter fluid, until I found this forum and found better ways.

Maybe you don't know how difficult it has been until you try the other way! Haha I am with you but am still curious.
    Pure Michigan
  • So I feel kind of like a renegade here, but I've never found it all that difficult to peel a banana in the first place.

Maybe you don't know how difficult it has been until you try the other way! Haha I am with you but am still curious.
    Pure Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Well.  You're never too old to learn!   :-O

Now, how many of you have actually lived through one of the Biggest Cliches of all Time?  ie, slipping on a banana peel??  I have!  
    Was walking through the Produce at my grocers.  Was wearing a coat & tie and my Florescheims (must've had a briefing or interview that day) and fweewhuup!, I hit the floor, hard!  My handbasket of groceries were flung twenty feet, and it hurt.  There was no one in sight, at first I was grateful but then I realized I wouldn't be able to sue... ;;)  I had stepped on about a 1x2" section of peel, and yeah baby they're slippery as hell!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Doc_Eggerton
    Tjcoley said:
    So I feel kind of like a renegade here, but I've never found it all that difficult to peel a banana in the first place.
    Please tell me you never really used lighter fluid.
    Good point, however I always found it easy to light the Egg using lighter fluid, until I found this forum and found better ways.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Gaaah Lit, make her stop talking!!!  

This thread originally made me think about a Food Channel show, some dork in a Winnebago who drove around the country and sampled different places.  He stopped at a cheesesteak place, watched them build a big long sammich, and they gave it to him.  He was holding it in both hands for the camera, said how he couldn't wait for his first bite, then he took it.
    Right out of the center of the sammich!!  
    >:P
    The owners of the restaurant were about ready to punch him.  They should've.  Dork.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Doc_Eggerton
    Botch said:
    Well.  You're never too old to learn!   :-O

Now, how many of you have actually lived through one of the Biggest Cliches of all Time?  ie, slipping on a banana peel??  I have!  
    Was walking through the Produce at my grocers.  Was wearing a coat & tie and my Florescheims (must've had a briefing or interview that day) and fweewhuup!, I hit the floor, hard!  My handbasket of groceries were flung twenty feet, and it hurt.  There was no one in sight, at first I was grateful but then I realized I wouldn't be able to sue... ;;)  I had stepped on about a 1x2" section of peel, and yeah baby they're slippery as hell!  
    Snort

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

How about this one?

in ashamed of you for posting this...but my respect for you has grown.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    OP is correct.

This is NEW information?  What kind of antiquated forum have I stumbled upon?
    NOLA
  • Tjcoley
    edited January 2014
    No worries @DocEggerton - never even used lighter fluid on the Weber. Just trying to be funny.

@Fred19Flinstone - is that banana peeler available from the Mothership?  I need a new Eggcessory