Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Rib Advice

Options
Alright, my head is about to explode. I want to do some beef ribs this weekend, best I can understand is there are Beef Back Ribs & Beef Short Ribs. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that one. What I would like to know as well is what are the most common beef ribs everyone cooks and they seem to be egged similar to Baby Back Ribs. It also seems different styles are more commonly available than others, please chime in here as well. I will continue searching the forum but I would like to know which ones my fellow eggers cook and how you cook them. Thanks

Comments

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    I have done beef short ribs numerous times.  Don't let the name fool you.  When they are done, they look like meat clubs.  I have also been told that they were chuck ribs, but I'm not sure that's accurate.  I like these more than just about any other meat for low and slow.

I cook them similar to baby backs with two exceptions:  I do not wrap them in foil at any point during the cook, and I use my brisket rub versus my pork rib rub.  The rub is very similar to Franklin's brisket rub (16/20 cracked tellicherry pepper, kosher salt), but I add some cayenne for a bit of a kick.  I have used hickory, mesquite, pecan, pecan hulls and oak, and all work well.  I think oak is my favorite.

I have had success cooking them at 230-260 for 5 to 6 hours, then FTC for at least an hour.  They end up perhaps a bit more tender than some folks like, but the SWMBO likes them to fall off the bone. If you want a bit more pull, just take them off sooner.

Hope this helps.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Timvanee
    Options

Have to try this next weekend... Did some beef spare ribs last weekend and they came out tough... Thanks for the pointers and starting the topic :)

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Thanks TEggSun, that's helps confirm what I've been reading, are you shooting for an internal temp of 190 - 200, I have read that as well. I'm gonna use DP REE, do you sauce them ?
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Timvanee, no problem. Good luck with your eggsperience, hope to share results
  • TEggSun
    Options
    @midwestsmoker  I really don't target a specific temperature, however I start checking them at about 190.  I have noticed a great deal of variability between racks, so I go by the bend and touch test to ascertain when they are ready.  Also, the meat shrinks up significantly more than baby backs, so don't panic when you see a lot of white. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Check out my recent thread:

Beef Chuck Ribs are different than Beef Short Ribs.  I posted a link on page 2 that explained the difference in detail.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • TEggSun
    Options
    Thanks, @cazzy.  Mine definitely expand when they are smoked, and the description sounds like what you posted.  They come in a 2 pack, 4 ribs each and are about 2 inches thick where I'm getting them.  I guess they are chuck ribs after all.

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Thanks cazzy, I will check that out
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    TEggSun, thanks again
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I've done beef back ribs several times.  These are the ribs that go on sale when boneless ribeye steaks are on sale.  They're the ribs that come off a boneless ribeye roast.  The trouble is, there's usually not a whole lot of meat left on them...so the bone to meat ratio is kind of high.  I cook them just like baby backs...just with longer times in and out of the foil.  They come out good...but I've more or less decided to stop buying them.  Babybacks are just better.
  • TEggSun
    Options
    Yep.  Been there.  It turns in to rib jerky.  

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I did some this past weekend. They tasted great but they were a bit shy on meat. I cooked them low (250) for 5 hours and used a brisket rub. The fat rendered perfectly and they were nearly fall off the bone. Next time I'll try the short ribs as I've heard they have much more meat on them.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The way I learned it is with back ribs the meat is between the bones and short ribs the meat is on top of the bones. Short ribs are tough but brilliant in a long smoke and a braise. Mad Max had a recipe somewhere. Short ribs can be cut like 1/4" thin marinated and grilled. Bulgogi is two to three inch short ribs.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Thanks, everyone is confirming what I've been reading. Great input