Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm New Here.

Options
TazEgg
TazEgg Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to say Hello.
I've had my XLBGE for 2 1/2 weeks now and cooking everything in sight! I'm still learning the art of controlling the temp on the BGE, it seems very touchy on the XL. 
I mite add, I'm trying to learn this in subzero temps of Cleveland, OH. Looking for advice from anyone with a great tip.

Thanks,
XLBGE  Cleveland, OH

Comments

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Welcome.  Tough time of the year to learn, but worth it.  Lots of help here and things to learn.  Wish you lots of success and minimal failures.  Eggersforum is also good.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Welcome to the cult/club/obsession.  I can't help you with the subzero temp issue as it was 75 here today (So Cal).  My tip for you would be catch the temperature on the way up. The egg retains temperature so well it takes forever to bring it back down after you pass your target temp. Try a rib roast, they're easy and they're always a big hit.  Have fun. Tim

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome to the club. Temp control will get easier with time. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome.  Egging here in zub zero PA temps as well.  Best advice is to play around with it and get a feel for temp control.  As above, start closing vents as the temp starts getting near where you want it, and don't overshoot.  Much harder to cool down an Egg. even in cold temps, than to raise the temp.  I've started leaving the daisy wheel top vent off, and control using just the bottom vent, unless going for below 275 or so.  Once you get a feel for it, it's a lot easier controlling only one vent.  With my fried gasket, I can't seem to hold below 275 with just the bottom vent, so I will use the DW for low and slow, until the temp outside goes up enough that I can install the gasket I got from @RRP last week.
    Options
    The best advice I can give from cooking in the cold or hot Minnesota here so have cooked in the -teens is get it to temp. you want and hold it there for a 1/2 hour more time to enjoy your beverage of choice. before you add your food should hold after that time. XL here also.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome from frigid Michigan! You will love cooking on your XL. Stay with it and your patience will be rewarded. If I had a tip for new Eggheads, it would be don't spend your time chasing temps. If you're off by 20 or 30 degrees, relax. If your a little too hot, check your food a bit earlier than perhaps you would have. If you're a little cool, then let it cook a bit more.

Above all, enjoy yourself!
    Flint, Michigan
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    welcome, have fun with your egg.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Well I live in Newfoundland Canada and its cold and snowy here almost always.What I learned is to keep something between your dome and base  ie tinfoil or cardborad to prevent the lid and dome from freezing together and also that my DFMT usually freezes to my egg a real pain but the stainless cap from smokeware does not and I love it for that reason.

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

Welcome. I am fairly new as well....Got my XL between Christmas and NYears. Like you...been cooking everything in the house. My wife and dog are afraid to stand still too long...!!!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome! Don't get discouraged by not so great cooks along the way. Use those to learn by. (I tend to over cook things so the thermapen has become my best friend.)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Welcome.  I have an XL here in CT. I have a few simple pieces of advice on temp control:
    1) Be patient (it takes a long time to heat up that 200 lbs of ceramic) 
    2) Start with the vents wide open
    3) Try to limit the air flow just before it gets to your target temp (don't let it get too hot and then cut back; too late)  
    4) The top and bottom vents are much more closed than I would have ever guessed at 250 -450 degrees.  
    5) Hi winds are more difficult than the temp.  Temp will fluctuate with wind a bit.  
    6) Be patient (I started out fiddling with the vents constantly.  Now I do it once or twice to settle it in)

Experience will help you get to know your EGG and get it to do what you want it to.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  For most cooks with the BGE patience is the watchword as implied above.  It is a game-changer.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    I too am in Cleveland. Learning in the cold kind of sucks. Be patient. You'll get it. What kind of lump are you using? I haven't had great luck with frontier, bought it at Home Depot. I've had better luck with the GFS lump ( which is actually rebranded royal oak).
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Welcome from another Wolverive ;) If you get the temperature control down now it will be a breeze in the winter. Just remember to be patient and tey not to "over adjust". Make small adjustments and give it at least 30min before changing anything again. Good luck and once again welcome to the herd
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • TazEgg
    Options
    Tackman said:
    I too am in Cleveland. Learning in the cold kind of sucks. Be patient. You'll get it. What kind of lump are you using? I haven't had great luck with frontier, bought it at Home Depot. I've had better luck with the GFS lump ( which is actually rebranded royal oak).

I'm using BGE lump now, and I have a bag of royal oak waiting in the garage. Any difference in the two?
    XLBGE  Cleveland, OH
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    BGE is made by Royal Oak and is more expensive.
    Options
    dldawes1 said:

Like you...been cooking everything in the house. My wife and dog are afraid to stand still too long...!!!!

Donnie

HaHa Ha! My wife said something similar...
    XLBGE  Cleveland, OH
  • TazEgg
    Options
    So what is the best lump? I see a ton of lump names on this site.
    XLBGE  Cleveland, OH
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    TazEgg said:

So what is the best lump? I see a ton of lump names on this site.

Not sure there is a "best". But, check out Fogo on Amazon. I usually use Royal Oak, but Fogo is really good stuff, doesn't take long to burn off the VOC's and lasts really long.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Welcome!  I am also new.  I got my XL 2 weeks ago and just joined this forum this week.  Not much advice to give yet but throw out your bathroom scale!  In another post there is a weight loss competition.  I'm not sure how the winner will be able to do it.  I'm eating for sport now!

Enjoy the cooking and there is a ton of knowledge on this site. 
    Chester, MD
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
    The best way to control the temp IMHO is to get a BBQ Guru DIGI-Q.  I too had trouble controlling temps at first but it did get easier.  I do not even have to worry about it with my Digi-Q especially for long cooks.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Welcome abord!! Not much to add. @Tjcoley and @jhl192 nailed it on the head. I'd hold out on getting a pit controller till you have mastered how to control your temperatures manually. They are great, but what are you going to do if the power goes out?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Don't the controllers use batteries?
    NOLA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Welcome.  There are lots of toys and even more opinions.  Cook for awhile, find out what you really need and go from there.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Bellavista52
    Options

I have an XL also and I learned after a month of ownership that it is important to make sure the thermometer is properly calibrated by testing it in boiling water - it shoudl read 100 C or 212 F.

JMHO

XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg!!  Tough time to egg, do you live in the city of Cleveland?  I'm in Northern Summit county, Northfield area.  Have fun and stay warm!
  • TazEgg
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg!!  Tough time to egg, do you live in the city of Cleveland?  I'm in Northern Summit county, Northfield area.  Have fun and stay warm!
    I'm in the Olmsted Falls area. 
    XLBGE  Cleveland, OH
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    welcome. i started out using RO, but have recently switched to Rockwood. Rockwood is great. No VOC's (or very , very little). enjoy
    LBGE, Marietta, GA