Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal done Temp. for Goose Breast

Options
BBQ Bob Trudnak
BBQ Bob Trudnak Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all![p]Anybody have suggestions for the ideal internal done temp for smoking goose breast? I was thinking maybe 165 F like I do chicken breast but I am not sure. I rarely cook goose and just want to be sure.[p]BBQ Bob

Comments

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Hey Bob...[p]I have never cooked a goose before but from searching the web, it seems to be a common temp of 175-180 in the breast. Again, not positive, but that is what I found. Please let us know how it turns out. Thanks.[p]-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    be careful when cooking your goose to have a dish under the bird to catch all the fats. A goose has a lot more fat than a turkey, and this will cause your charcoal to flare up, and burn away very quickly.
    When I cook a goose I do it on a vertical turkey roaster, set in a stainless steel dish on the cooking grid where all the fats collect. Before I start I prod the goose skin all over the breast and legs. This helps to release the fats from under the skin as the bird cooks. It normally takes about 2 hours at 350 to get to breast temperature of 175 which I find is just about right.
    If you let the fat go cold it sets to a paste like consistency. In Ireland this fat (known as goose grease) is an ancient remedy for arthritice, rhumatism, and other ailments of the bones. I think it works on the basis that if you are threatened with being covered in goose grease you will try to forget about your aches and pains.
    By the way, our traditional accompanyment for goose is apple sauce, made with stewed apples, with butter, cinnamon, some sugar, S & P and a little white vinegar. (I use white Balsamic) The other traditional dish is potato stuffing, made with mashed potatoes, into which you mix some sauteed onion with mixed herbs and S & P. This was traditionally cooked inside the goose, but this does not work on the EGG, you can take that from bitter experience.
    Enjoy your goose, it is a very underated, and very flavoursome meal. Just remember the meat is very rich, and greasy, and can be upsetting for delicate stomachs.
    Roger

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    irishrog,
    thanks for the responses. That was very informative.I am going to smoke bonelss skinless goose breasts. I guess I will take them to 175 F[p]BQB bOB

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    ive only cooked goose once, it was a low and slow cook. there is so much grease in them that it overfilled a large water pan and perminantly stained the deck under my old smoker. dont think you can dry it out so i would go with a higher internal than the 165, just to get more of that grease out.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it