Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart Packers

My local Walmart is now carrying whole briskets and I've been tempted to try my first brisket overnighter.  However, I don't know about the quality of their briskets.  I understand they guarantee quality of things like steak, but am curious to know if anybody has used the Walmart's whole brisket and what the successes/failures might have been.
Fayetteville, Ga

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited January 2014
    What grade is the brisket? That matters more than what store the brisket is bought from.
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    I cannot speak for their Brisket, but the great value thick cut bacon is the best bacon i've ever had.  Its a little more expensive that other bacon but it is worth the extra coin.
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    BYS1981 said:
    What grade is the brisket? That matters more than what store the brisket is bought from.
    I'm not sure on the grade.  I asked one of the stockers but they couldn't tell me.  I didn't notice it on the package either.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    I think they are prime but I am not 100% as I am still learning the categories (what are they again?),   They are cheap and so I have done two , both were decent but they are also the only two briskets I ever cooked.  Id rather screw up a $30 piece of meat than a $100 piece of meat!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    How much are the packers at walmart per pound. Mine are 5 something. Is that high or about right?
    Dunedin, FL
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    They are like $1.70/pound by me in Colorado.  It is also the only place I can find one "off the shelf" so that is another reason I have used them.  Again though, ive only cooked two. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Are they packaged in cryovac?  The ones that our local Walmart sells are graded Choice. The meat grade should be stamped and visible.. If nothing is shown, then it is ungraded and could be any grade - that doesn't mean it is bad, just not graded.  The packers at Walmart are a little less thann $3 perf pound.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Local WM here in West Palm Beach carries select and choice packers. They Egg up just fine. I foil them when they reach 160F IT and let them rest for a few hours. Never tried a prime or Wygyu.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Funny you should ask- I was thinking of asking the same question.  I found them in Woodstock GA and they are the Excel brand choice grade and they were $2.39 a lb if I recall correctly.   I did some research on other BBQ sites and most of the responses were favorable and Excel is quite common and likely what they sell in other grocery stores, costco, and some butchers. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I get mine at Sam's. .$2.56 lb and choice. He told me they get prime occasionally. I thought all meat had to be marked. My wallyworld doesn't carry packers.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    henapple said:
    I get mine at Sam's. .$2.56 lb and choice. He told me they get prime occasionally. I thought all meat had to be marked. My wallyworld doesn't carry packers.
    I also thought that all meat had to be graded, but found out that that is not correct.  A good portion of the meat that Shady Maple sells is not graded.  I always examine it carefully when buying there.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    They have both select and choice grades. I have done 3 or 4 and they have all turned out great...other than having to go to Walmart to buy them. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • BobsBGE
    I guess I'll have to go back and get one based on all the comments.  I'll also look again at price/pound and see if they are grade stamped.  Hopefully they'll be about the same price SmokeyPitt found in Georgia.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Back to your ?. The only packers I can find are Wal Marts. Work fine for me using Travis' method.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Mine only gets select.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • I have done a dozen Brisket and most have come from Sams but the last 3 in a row that I have done came from Walmart and they were the best I ever had! I always get mine from there if they have a 10lb one!
    Brandon, MS
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    My walmart sells Excel brand and the grade is stamped on the cryovac'd package. Usually Select but if ya keep your eyes open you can get choice pretty easily. Ive only cooked one and I have no complaints. Pretty good cut of meat. Usually around two bucks a pound.
    NW IOWA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Yeah the WalMart ones are fine. I live by smokeypitt and they have choice excel packers in all the local walmarts. If you join kcbs or have a business license you can go to restaurant depot and get black angus choice packers for $2.38 a pound and they are really good.
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    My WalMart has cryovac, Excel, choice at about 14 lbs. i've done them regularly and they've always turned out great.
  • I don't think we even get anything besides small flats in the Walmarts here in NC.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Walmart's where I live generally carry select grade packers. I've seen choice ones at SAMs. I buy prime at Costco.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I don't think we even get anything besides small flats in the Walmarts here in NC.
    The Walmart in W-S always has packers. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • BobsBGE
    I found out the ones at my Walmart  in Fayetteville, Ga. are select at $2.58/lb.  I may take others advice and keep looking for choice or if a smaller size comes available, I'll pick it up based on no complaints about the selects.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Hi54putty said:
    I don't think we even get anything besides small flats in the Walmarts here in NC.
    The Walmart in W-S always has packers. 
    The Greensboro (Wendover) one as well, but they always look puny to me..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76

I'm in NC.  The WalMart in Shallotte always carries choice.  The Costco in Wilmington only has choice ones that are already trimmed down to about 8 lbs.  I asked them about prime and they said they never get them at the Wilmington store.
  • I'm in the Raleigh (NC) area and we have choice packers at Walmart.  They are 2.40 - 2.60 a pound, I don't remember exactly.   We also have packers at Sam's.  The ones at Sam's are "Certified Angus Beef".  Not sure what quality that is.  Those are the only 2 places I know to get them.

If it were me, I'd stay away from select.  Brisket is too hard to cook to have a questionable cut of meat interfere.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    One of our meat guys at the restaurant says CAB is upper tier choice. He sells CAB, so LOL, WYSIWYG, and SCUBA.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• WoodsDog said:
    I'm in the Raleigh (NC) area and we have choice packers at Walmart.  They are 2.40 - 2.60 a pound, I don't remember exactly.   We also have packers at Sam's.  The ones at Sam's are "Certified Angus Beef".  Not sure what quality that is.  Those are the only 2 places I know to get them.

If it were me, I'd stay away from select.  Brisket is too hard to cook to have a questionable cut of meat interfere.
    How big are the packers in the Raleigh Walmart?
  • They are 10lbs + normally.
  • Alright, I'll have to check it out. Not sure why we don't get them here in Durham.