Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Rubs - Impressions?

Ok, help me out here. I've got the sampler pack from dizzy (4 full size, and 7 tasters). I've used them all, but I'm failing to see the big draw. I tried Tsunami Spin on some chicken the other night. My wife didn't like it, and I wasn't impressed. I ate it, but wasn't great. Anyone else have the same opinion? Dizzy dust is ok, but my go to rubs right now are Myron Mixon's Chicken rub and BBQ rub, as well as Everglades Cactus Dust and Everglades original. 

Am I missing something?
Victor
LBGE
America's Best Coast - The Space Coast

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Victor -  Personally I am a big fan of DP rubs and have been for years. I also know others here are as well, but to each his own.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I guess my question is, am I doing something wrong? They seem to be too subtle of flavors, but again, I don't know if I'm not putting enough on, or if I'm putting too much. 

For instance: How heavy do you cover boneless skinless chicken breasts? The chicken always turns out great, but flavor always depends on the rub or marinade, and DP seems to be on the shortlist of what my wife doesn't like. 
    Victor
    LBGE
  • My first few runs with Dizzy had me not embracing it so much either.  Then I tried using about twice as much on a few skinless chicken breasts and I saw the light.  In my case I was being too stingy with the Dizzy.,
  • Raising the Steaks is my absolute favorite rub.  goes amazingly well with beef - especially burgers.  best rub I've ever used.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the two i like are the jamacan fire walk and the swamp venom and for me the swamp venom is the winner. even when using the dizzy coarse grind on a butt i add one of those two towards the end of the cook as a finishing rub
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Rebelst8 said:
     DP seems to be on the shortlist of what my wife doesn't like. 
    Sounds like this is a loss cause. Personally my wife and I love DP Raging River on chicken. No need to pack the rub on - just sprinkle it. I don't find any DP products to be too salty so is there a chance what you & SWMBO prefer salty rubs? Take Bad Bryan's rubs for instance those are way too salty for my tastes but others love them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i go pretty heavy with the rub with the butts, i put on as much that will stick, then goop it all with mustard and repeat with more rub. without as much salt you can go heavier than usual
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I agree with the Bad Byron's being too salty. I really want to make sure I give these rubs a good try.

Anyone have any instructions or recommendations on what to cook with a particular rub, to get the best flavor? 

Weekly staples are burgers, chicken, steak. Ribs are done once or twice a month.

I went rub happy (stop laughing) when I got my BGE, and this is the one I had the most anticipation for trying. We do like a little more salt in ours, than is in the base rub, but i can add a little on my own. 
    Victor
    LBGE
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Maybe it's lack of salt that you're tasting.  I like all the Dizzy rubs because they tend to have less salt than many of the others.  Could be if you're used to lots of salt that this is what is missing for you.  
  • RRP
    edited January 2014
    Rebelst8 said:
    I agree with the Bad Byron's being too salty. I really want to make sure I give these rubs a good try.

Anyone have any instructions or recommendations on what to cook with a particular rub, to get the best flavor? 

Weekly staples are burgers, chicken, steak. Ribs are done once or twice a month.

I went rub happy (stop laughing) when I got my BGE, and this is the one I had the most anticipation for trying. We do like a little more salt in ours, than is in the base rub, but i can add a little on my own. 

Burgers try DP Cow Lick. Chicken try DP Raging River. Steak try DP Raising The Steaks. Ribs try DP Red Eye Express or Dizzy Dust or Shakin the Tree.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I bought 5-6 jars of DP back in '09 (I think). Expiration date was sometime in 2011. I know this cuz I looked at them just the other day and thought, well, THAT was a waste of money! Long ago lost their potency, I imagine. I used most of the Dizzy Dust and a good bit of Cow Lick, but not all of either and very little of any of the others. I don't even know why I didn't use them. They tasted okay, I just don't use packaged rubs much. 

I mix up a few of my own sometimes, very easy and tasty, but usually, just a couple of stand alone seasonings. Found a mix in a cookbook the other day that contained lemon pepper. Used it on some chicken breasts and it was excellent. Also have a clone recipe for McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning that's pretty good stuff. My butt rub (and vinegar sauce) came from the Weber cookbook that I got with my kettle 30 or so years ago. Both are so much like Elder Ward's that I often wonder if he, umm, "borrowed" them for publication. :)

Tons of people love DP. I don't dislike them... I just don't USE them. Sorry, Chris. 
    :\">

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I'm not a huge fan, either. I like cow lick, but that's bout it. I use strawberry's and plowboys yardbird more than anything else.

Little Rock, AR

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    For us, the Swamp Venom has replaced Tony Chachere's or any other Cajun/Creole spices.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I used the red eye express the other day on a rib eye and thought it was great. I also did up some chicken breasts, swamp venom on one and dizzy dust on the other. I preferred the swamp venom over the dizzy dust. I got the sampler with the 11 different rubs in it. I figure this way I can see what I like and what I don't and then place an order after that.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Love all of the DP line! Jamacan fire walk and the swamp venom are my faves.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Love Tsunami Spin, Cow Lick and Dizzy Dust personally...
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I like Dizzy and have all of their rubs.  My favorite is Red Eye Express, followed by Raging River.  I say be a lil more aggressive when you season.

I have however become quite fond of Oakridge BBQ.  They have the best sample pack out there at $4.95 with free shipping.  Try it out!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Red Eye Express on steak and venison loin. I love Raging River, Dizzy Dust, and Tsunami Spin. I have not tried Swamp Venom, but I will now after reading this thread. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Use mostly Swamp Venom when I'm not going with my normal sea salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Pineapple Head is great on fruits and especially good on corn, thats probably my favorite use for it... Watched my BIL eat 6 ears one night that I had done with the Pineapple Head
  • cazzy
    hapster said:
    Use mostly Swamp Venom when I'm not going with my normal sea salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Pineapple Head is great on fruits and especially good on corn, thats probably my favorite use for it... Watched my BIL eat 6 ears one night that I had done with the Pineapple Head
    I'm totally going to try PH on corn now.  Thanks!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

I bought a Quart of Dizzy Dust and Raging River and like them both with a strong lean toward the Raging River, I plan on trying there you pick 4 with Pineapple Head, Cow Lick, Raising the Steaks  and after reading these reviews probably Red Eye Express.

Chuck King

Dimondale, Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687

Victor,

Thanks for giving Dizzy Pig a try! And thanks to all that chimed in with your successes.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with our seasonings.  Foodies are our biggest fans, and they appreciate the freshly ground and bright flavors.  I know taste is very subjective, but I am hoping perhaps you did not use enough.  They are fairly low in salt, and in order to get enough salt in your meal, you either need to use more seasoning, or add a little salt to your food if you go lightly with the seasoning. Also, the spices are fresh and robust, and can be too spicy for some folks if not sufficiently browned.

Not sure how much it will help, but I wrote an article on how much to use, and some tips on cooking with Dizzy Pig.  These tips also apply to Big Green Egg’s Dizzy Gourmet products which we produce here.

Hope it helps, and I would love to hear how your future cooks turn out and if your opinion changes!

All the best, and happy cookin!

Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I own and use all of Chris' stuff with the exception of Bombay Curry-ish.  I'm not a curry fan so I probably never will buy that one.  I agree with Ron that the rubs are not overly salty which is why I like them.  It's easy to add a little more salt if you feel it needs it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The real issue is boneless skinless chicken breast? No, seriously, as RRP said to each his own. It does take a wile to understand your own likes and dislikes. What I appreciate most about the DP rubs is the variety of flavor profiles. They are not just your run of the mill BBQ rub flavor profiles. Good luck
  • cazzy
    The real issue is boneless skinless chicken breast? No, seriously, as RRP said to each his own. It does take a wile to understand your own likes and dislikes. What I appreciate most about the DP rubs is the variety of flavor profiles. They are not just your run of the mill BBQ rub flavor profiles. Good luck
    +1  You can tell they spent a crap ton of time creating them.  Most are very very different than what's out there.  
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I am a fan of Chris and the Dizzy Pig offerings. I used to make my own but the DP products are better. To me it's all about freshness.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've liked every DP rub that I have tried. The flavors are complex but well balanced, without any individual spices overpowering others in the mix. A dealer about 20mins away stocks some rubs, so I grab what I can from him. Shipping is quite expensive IMO, so I don't buy them online. I did buy the sampler pack of 11 or so sachets initially and enjoyed each one of them. The lower salt content is a big reason for me liking these rubs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Dizzy Pig, I would never spend a dime on that stuff!   :D

• My problem with dizzy pig is when I have it in the cupboard I can not walk by with out tasting it eat it like candy but when I cook with it I do use a lot of it.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I love some dizzy.

Red Eye is probably my favorite next to the coarse grind regular. I love swamp venom, but most of the time the folks I'm cooking for, aren't too keen on really peppery and spicy.

The steak rub is pretty nice, using a bit of it tonight.

Key is.. be liberal with it!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax