Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OH MAN! Look what the UPS man just dropped off...a new EGGessory

Options
2»

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I keep meaning to try that, but I will get mine from a scrap metal dealer for pennies a pound. Might go 3/8" or even 1/2" thick, depends on what I find.
    I would suggest you stick with the 1/4" thick one due to the weight.  I have a 19" Baking Steel for the XL and it is heavy!  I worry about 10 years down the road when I'm really old and if it will be too heavy.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm really old NOW!  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    Does the pizza stick to that as it would on the stone?
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know about the steel, but I've made a lot of pies on my stones and have never had one stick. Not even one.

How are you doing it? My stone goes in as soon as I light the lump. Or more accurately lately, as soon as I turn on the oven. Same either way. I make sure the stone is target temo hot (500-725°, depending on the pie) before I launch the pie onto the stone. Not sure that's the solution to your problem, but it's a start.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    I'm not real smart and tend to be a little impatient but I can't find the round one
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    Just send an email through the contact us page. He will email you back.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    butert said:
    Does the pizza stick to that as it would on the stone?
    I use parchment paper under the dough and remove it a couple of minutes into the cook.  I love my Baking Steel!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I will attest to the performance of Steel Plate over a standard pizza stone.  I have several stones and do like them, but prefer the plate steel now.  I bought my steel plate probably 5 years ago from a Scrap House, 17" Square, cost was about $15, fits my oven and gasser(heresy, I know), but too big for my egg, so need to get a bit maller piece for the egg.  Having said all of that, I feel I get a better char on the bottom of the crust with the steel than I do with the stones.  I also experimented with making a mini pizza oven with a Stone on the bottom, fire bricks on the sides and then the steel plate on the top.  Beautiful char on the bottom and nice browned on the top.  Sadly, i never took any pics of that set up but will next time.