Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meatball Panini

jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 962
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
This panini recipe from the Perfect Panini cookbook creates a classic meatball sandwich and has you make the sauce, breadcrumbs and meatballs from scratch. Additionally I made a change that tasted great, but wasn't without it's problems. I grilled the meatballs instead of browning them in the oven or in a frying pan. This created a few problems: the meatballs were soft & I was worried they wouldn't stay on the skewers I wanted to use without some extended time in the fridge. I placed them directly on the grill and although I had oiled the grill, I needed to use a little more oil because I had some "stickage" problems. Where these meatballs were getting sliced up to go on the paninis I didn't sweat the few meatballs that stuck a bit to the grill grate. The paninis had great flavor, but the sauce was a bit controversial. Three folks thought the sauce was bland, two thought is was great with lots of subtle flavors. I was in the bland camp but I have to disqualify myself because I was standing out in the smoke while grilling the meatballs. My taste buds probably can't be trusted. So we'll call it a draw. All I know is next time I will make a different sauce. The fact there will be a next time tells you the rest of the recipe was great.

The first step was to sautee some onions & garlic

The sauce used Italian Seasoning, garlic, petite diced tomatoes, salt & pepper

The ingredients were added to the pan with the onions & they were simmered for 20 minutes. Lastly they were pureed with an immersion blender.

The meatballs started the same way, by sautéing some onions & garlic.

The recipe suggested fresh breadcrumbs, so I took some Portuguese rolls which were at their sell-by date and cut them into strips and dried them out in a 350 degree oven. Then they were coarsely cut up.

The meatballs used: Italian seasoning, oregano, salt, olive oil, milk, pepper, chopped fresh parsley, breadcrumbs, grind beef & ground pork.

The breadcrumbs were soaked in milk for 5 minutes.

The remaining ingredients, except for the meat, were added next.

After the meat was added & mixed, I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure out equal portions of the mixture which was formed into the meatballs

The meatballs were grilled for 5 minutes a side x 4 sides. I did have some "stickage" issues & next time I will use a grill basket or more oil on the grate. Where the meatballs get sliced up it wasn't a big deal, other than I should have known better with such soft meatballs.

Assembly time: The rolls were cut from a loaf of ciabatta & brushed on the outside with olive oil.

The insides of the bottom slices of ciabatta bread receive half of the tomato sauce.

The thinly sliced mozzarella cheese comes next.

The meatballs were sliced and are added next.

The remaining sauce is next.

The last item to go on was some chopped pepperonchini.

The Egg was preheated & stabilized at 375 degrees. The paninis grilled for 6 minutes.

Time to eat! A fresh garden salad completed this tasty meal.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
·

Comments

• EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 515
    Great looking meal.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    I love a good meatball sub. Or panini in this case. Looks outstanding, Jim.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,198
    Drooling here!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,912
    Looks fantastic!!!

Your posts always make me hungry :)
    ·
  • johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 3,433
    Those look great Jim!
    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    WOW!
    Looks fantastic!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • Looks great! Love the brick-in-foil technique.. Will make these some day
    ·
  • You win at life Jim!
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Just finished lunch and hungry just looking! Wow Jim, another fantastic cook and documentation!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • ericpericp Posts: 152
    incredible pictures!!! food looks awesone
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,420
    Why in hell don't you just use a panini press inside?

Lol jk broski. . Looks great

Sing us a song...you're the panini man
    Please make us one tonight
    Cause we're all in the mood for some meatballs
    And you got them looking just right
    La la la la la la...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 962
    edited January 2014
    Thanks guys for looking and commenting as always!

@henapple you may have been joking, but I was asked this on one of my last post and there are some good reasons here are just a few:

It does have some big advantages for me at least, your mileage may vary:
    -Most home panini grills can fit 2 or at most 4 paninis. Doing paninis on a grill you are only limited to by the size of your grill.
    -I already owned either the sheet pans for my old method, or the Half Moon CI Grill Griddles. My total out of pocket was for a few fire bricks.
    -One less appliance to store in the Kitchen. I don't like having gear in the Kitchen that isn't used fairly regularly.
    -In these days of cheap Made in China appliances, I know the sheet pans, or CI grill griddle will outlast a panini grill.
    -You can make these anywhere you have a grill: camping, tailgating, day trip to the park...No electricity required
    -This may just be me, but I love going outdoors to cook a meal. Even though I have a nice newly renovated Kitchen, I don't get the same fun factor making something indoors.

Jim
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,420
    I was playing off of that....why do I egg bread on the egg? Because I can and want to.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Great looking! @jfm0830 Jim, this is a good simple marinara sauce I use for meatball subs. I am fortunate enough to have garden tomatoes on hand all year because I can my own so I am a little spoiled. If for some reason I need to use store bought tomatoes for an Italian recipe, I only use San Marzano tomatoes. IMO they make a big difference. I also tend to use more garlic and wine, just my preferences. http://www.formerchef.com/2009/09/01/how-to-make-basic-marinara-sauce/
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
    ·
  • terry_bterry_b Posts: 67
    Excellent presentation! Wonderful images. Thanks for sharing
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 962
    edited January 2014
    Thanks guys for looking and commenting.

@scooter759 thanks for sharing the recipe. It does look pretty simple but it reads tasty. Thanks again for sharing!
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Eating at Jim's house is on my bucket list! Awesome cook man!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·