Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Egg

Options
bdollens
bdollens Posts: 31
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I am considering getting a second egg. I purchased a Large egg almost two years ago and love it. I have cooked Thanksgiving dinner on it, made two briskets at the same time for a Christmas party, two pork butts at the same time for New Years Eve. I am thinking a second one will let me do other things when I do the low and slow cooks. I was thinking about an XL, but the supplier was telling me that the XL may be too much and recommended either another large or maybe even a medium. Any ideas or words of wisdom from the more experienced Egg guru's?

Large, soon to have another size TBD

Comments

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I have a large... and would like an extra large... Just because... but a 2nd large would be great for cooking things that require different temps... Smoke on one, grill on another... Burgers for lunch while the brisket is smoking for supper.  
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Can't necessarily claim to be an expert but here is my take on this.  Have you actually ever heard anyone say their first Egg was too big?  Mine was an XL and it has worked wonderfully. We all seem to want a bit more grid acreage at one time or another. For my second I bought a Medium to provide second temperature availability.  The XL is not too big, but a second of the same  would have been.  If the XL fits your budget it is the way to go.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I've got all 5 sizes but if I could have only 2 it would be large and small because I do a lot of small cooks and love the small for That.If you the two together that's a good bit of space.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I have a L, M, S and a mini and no need whatsoever for an XL. My work horse egg is my small!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Re: "...but the supplier was telling me that the XL may be too much and recommended either another large or maybe even a medium."

My thought process is:
    Better to have and not need than to need and not have :D
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I got a L as a wedding gift from my wife's family (eggheads) and then bought a used M to see if I really would use two eggs. A few months later, I sold it and bought another L. With L L combo and the Adjustable Rig, I don't need an XL but I do wish I had kept the M. After all, 3 eggs would be better than 2 right?  :D

We have her family over for dinner quite often. My father-in-law says "That egg is the best gift I've ever given anyone! I get paid back every time I come over!"
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have an XL and a medium. Love the XL for the versatility and space. Love the medium for the convenience and efficiency. That being said if I started with a large , I would probably go with two large. , I could leverage all the same Eggcessories.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I love my XL. Also like my large but I had 2 larges and sold one to get the XL and the large/xl combo is better in my opinion. I almost got a second XL the other day off Craigslist but decided I would let a friend get it. He got it for $400.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @Minniemoh - please don't put all your eggs in one basket!!  This Big Green Egg addiction is insidious.  I have an XL for just the GFU and myself most of the time.  I'm coveting a medium for all the reasons anyone can think of (plus "why not").  With the CGS lump reducing ring, in conjunction with the Woo2 in the XL, I can pretend I have a large.  I can see that as soon as I get the medium, my sights will shift to obtaining a mini or small.  There oughta be a law.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    I've had a large for over 2 years and just got a small a couple months ago it is great if I'm doing a small cook it's much quicker, and if I'm doing different temp cooks I get them both going. I use the small more than I use the large now
  • bdollens
    Options
    It looks like most of you all have gone with the small. How big is the cooking area? Will I be able to do a pork butt or brisket on it instead of using the large? (The butt is usually about 8 pounds, and brisket is about 10-12 pounds)

Large, soon to have another size TBD

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm thinking of another large. Sharing accessories would be nice.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

I have every size but the small and if I could only have two it would be the XL and Large and I did have two large for some time. When I got the XL I really found the second large unnecessary. Yeah you can cook a lot on two Large but then you're trying to regulate the temp on two different eggs to the same temp. The smaller ones are nice and I use them but, I really find myself going to the big one most of the time. The dealer is wrong about an XL being " way too much". Just my 2cnts.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nicklentini1
    Options
    I just picked up a second LBGE for 250.00 on craigslist.  Even came with a platesetter BGE rib rack and drip pan.  SCORE!

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    2 larges and a mini works for me, also have a small that never gets used
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    We have a large, small and mini and by far the workhorse is the small followed by the mini.  I have been thinking of getting a medium to dedicate for baking.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx