Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OH MAN! Look what the UPS man just dropped off...a new EGGessory

I don't know if yall have seen these before, but it was a Kickstarter Project and I have one for the kitchen oven, but I ordered one for the egg too.  

It's basically a METAL pizza stone.  Gets hot, then stays hot longer than stone, and gives you a beautiful pizza with a CRISP bottom.  

We had pizza last night, so we are gonna have to wait to try it out, but pics will be coming soon.  

if you wanna get one... http://www.bakingsteel.com.  I have the modernist cuisine edition for the oven, but this one is a 16" round 1/4" thick.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
Dallas, TX

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Heh heh heh :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I keep meaning to try that, but I will get mine from a scrap metal dealer for pennies a pound. Might go 3/8" or even 1/2" thick, depends on what I find.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    I keep meaning to try that, but I will get mine from a scrap metal dealer for pennies a pound. Might go 3/8" or even 1/2" thick, depends on what I find.
    I don't know if you caught the group buy we had a while ago. That's why they are available round now. I bet Andre got a couple hundred orders fo that. They are great though, and I'm in the steel business

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

I don't know if you caught the group buy we had a while ago. That's why they are available round now. I bet Andre got a couple hundred orders fo that. They are great though, and I'm in the steel business

Yep...we put round on the map! Lol

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy

That's what nola did.
  • well, I didn't know that!  no wonder...obviously I have not been here that long.  

this one, 1/4", weighs at least 15lbs, a 1/2" would weigh 30lbs.  I wouldn't want to lift it out of the egg every time.

Dallas, TX

• cazzy
    With my 00 flour, I produce better pies off a stone on my egg. I primarily use my baking steel for a flat top...which I totally love doing.
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    Cool! Thanks for sharing this. Looking forward to sewing the results.
  • @cazzy I used to use OO , but I found that it makes the crust too hard.  I went back to bread flour, and am thinking of going to a softer flour.  What is your dough recipe, if you don't mind?

Dallas, TX

• Carolina Q
    edited January 2014
    I saw the group buy. No way I'm spending that much for a piece of steel plate. Last time I bought scrap, it was about 15¢ a pound. Might be more now, and though it won't look as nice, it won't cost me a hundred bucks either! Maybe $30 at most. Andris is making a killing! And besides, I can do pretty much the same thing with a couple of stones in my oven - one under, one over the pie. I've had 'em for years.

My version of Pizzeria Bianco's Pizza Rosa. Done in my oven, with the two stones.

imageimage

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    I know that zippylip, who is a good personal friend, uses King Arthur's and not 00. In my limited experimentation half AP and half 00 works great. I just buy pizza flour from an Italian food importer now which is about that mix.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @Carolina Q , I broke two stones in the old Webber, so I figured it was time for an upgrade.  

Dallas, TX

• Little Steven
    I saw the group buy. No way I'm spending that much for a piece of steel plate. Last time I bought scrap, it was about 15¢ a pound. Might be more now, and though it won't look as nice, it won't cost me a hundred bucks either! Maybe $30 at most. Andris is making a killing! And besides, I can do pretty much the same thing with a couple of stones in my oven - one under, one over the pie. I've had 'em for years.

My version of Pizzeria Bianco's Pizza Rosa. Done in my oven, with the two stones.

imageimage
    I guess you are frugal. Growing up in the GD must cause that.
    :-S

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    I wouldn't want to lift it out of the egg every time.
    :) I haven't done a pizza in my egg in at least a year. The oven is just fine and so much easier. My stone lives there. No matter what I'm cooking. Almost.

I'm about to put another pie in shortly. The egg is highly overrated for pizza!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy

imageimage
    Lodge isn't good enough, but a scrap of metal is. I thought you liked the good stuff? You're no snob and that's pretty dissapointing. :(
  • The last thing I wanna do in the middle of a TEXAS summer is to fire up the oven inside the house.  

anyways, the one who dies with the most toys wins, right?

Dallas, TX

• Carolina Q
    edited January 2014
    cazzy said:
    Lodge isn't good enough, but a scrap of metal is. I thought you liked the good stuff? You're no snob and that's pretty dissapointing. :(
    A scrap of metal is just as good as a pizza steel. It's what Andris used when he "discovered" this. He brought a piece home from work. A36 is A36, no matter how pretty it looks.

A Lodge is NOT a Griswold! And besides, where I live, Griswold is often cheaper than Lodge!

Pay attention! 
    :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy said:
    A scrap of metal is just as good as a pizza steel. It's what Andris used when he "discovered" this. He brought a piece home from work. A36 is A36, no matter how pretty it looks.

A Lodge is NOT a Griswold! And besides, where I live, Griswold is often cheaper than Lodge!

Pay attention! 
    It was worth it for me, as I like nice looking things that I overpay for...as long as I get them at a discount of course.

The only Griswold I know is Clark from National Lampoon's Vacation!

I'm still in my 30's!
  • cazzy
    @cazzy I used to use OO , but I found that it makes the crust too hard.  I went back to bread flour, and am thinking of going to a softer flour.  What is your dough recipe, if you don't mind?

I have used zippy's dough and the one from Forno Bravo.

500gr Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour
    325 gr water (65% hydration) 
    10 gr salt
    3 gr dry active yeast
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Looks neat.. I'm new 'round here, and haven't gotten into pies on my egg, but whats the upgrade of this over the normal stone?

I make a damn mean pie on my stone.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • I add a little more salt, and add 25g more water.  its a bit wet, so maybe I'll cut it down.  

Dallas, TX

• Little Steven
    cazzy said:

imageimage
    Damn I wish NOLA was here! He would explain the thermal transfer between iron and steel, probably down to 330 steel chemistries. I was so looking forward to meeting up with Him!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    cazzy said:
    I'm still in my 30's
    And I don't remember them. In another 30-ish years, neither will YOU!  :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Come on Michael that GD thing was pretty damn funny. Can't come up with a response or maybe you have forgotten or gone to bed?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    FWIW, the baking steel is a pretty nicely finished piece of steel, and I think well worth the $79.  There is a copycat product called the Pizza Steel which sells for $72, and it actually is a piece of scrap that the guy grinds in his garage.  Not worth the $.

I have baked on a steel and I like it a bit better than my stone. It holds heat longer when doing several pies IMO.  Some day I will pick one up, but I have two good stones right now, there are other eggcessories I want first (Woo and CI Grate to name 2)

Enjoy your steel - I am sure you will love it!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Sorry man. "growing up in the GD" means...what?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Great Depression! =)) Damn I crack myself up!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Sorry, bud. Even I am not THAT old! Hard as it is to believe, I even missed WWII.

Smart ass. 
    [-X

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    If this back and forth is anything like the Golden Girls show my mom told me about, I might need to watch it!
  • Carolina Q
    You're 30something. You wouldn't understand. And btw, 30something was a show too. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut