Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Never Too Cold for the Egglovers !

Shoveled the snow around the egg, actually a path from the door to the egg !!!!

Got me 3 racks of ribs and a Apricot stuffing PTL on the egg !!!!!

Finished pics later.....along with the Peach Cobbler that's going on a little later !!!!!

Yum Yum,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    That's what i'm talking about Donnie!  Don't let some snow stop you from getting some good barbecue.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Idk..22 here with a 25 mph wind. Just egged 2 loaves of bread and doing sausage for spaghetti tonight. I'm warm in the mancave with the occasional trip outside.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    cazzy said:
    That's what i'm talking about Donnie!  Don't let some snow stop you from getting some good barbecue.

With that comment, @cazzy, I expect that you will be egging on Friday when it is 40 and raining here.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Foghorn said:
    cazzy said:

With that comment, @cazzy, I expect that you will be egging on Friday when it is 40 and raining here.
    Nope, i'll be preparing for my trip to La Barbecue, John Mueller BBQ, Stiles Switch BBQ, maybe Lockhart and will finish up at Franklin BBQ.   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D
  • Foghorn
    That won't suck.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Foghorn said:
    That won't suck.
    Especially after it rains.  The pitmasters love que they produce the day after it rains.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't know, guys. It's 3° outside right now and I have no interest whatsoever in cranking up the egg. Come to think of it, I haven't even cleaned it out from the last time I used it... about a week before Christmas!! That's right, just about a month. Been eating well though. :)

Pizza tonight. In the oven. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn

Wimp.

(says the guy in the 65 degree weather)

San Antonio, TX

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Just flipped my PTL on top rack. Been 1:20 since I started cooking. 350 indirect. ribs on bottom Stuffed PTL on top.

My mouth is watering. Probably put Peach cobbler on when I pull some pork off.

I'm getting hungry....hopefully about 1:20-1:30 to go !!!!!!!!!!

Donnie

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I'm new here, but real glad to see I'm not the only one that uses my LBGE when the weather isn't on it's A Game!

Haven't had to shovel any snow, and my back porch is covered, but freezing temps don't stop me!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Foghorn said:

Wimp.

(says the guy in the 65 degree weather)

Nah, it's not that. For the first 3-4 years, I was out in all kinds of weather, even in heavy rain (I hate rain!!) and blizzards. This is my 5th winter with the egg and lately, I just don't care enough to bother. Kitchen stove is fine. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm a wimp, there's probably 8 or 10 inches of the white stuff out there. Threw some soup bones and stew meat in a dutch oven first thing this morning and threw it in the big clock. Added potatoes, veggies, and some DP Cow Lick throughout the day. Some cornbread also. Oh yeah, I worked today as well. So...while I would have rather done this in the egg, it was pretty good and I'm warm. :)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Chicken's on and passing through 136 degrees.  Love this recipe: 2/3 cup carribean jerk marinade, 1/3 cup tiger sauce, 2 packets of splenda.  mix with chicken in plastic bag and let marinate over night.  Works great for both thighs and breasts.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Only 24 here but real windy.Cooking chicken legs on the egg in Tennessee.ribs sound better
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Where at in Tennessee?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    We are looking at another absolutly beatiful Saturday coming up here. Very warm for January, almost unheard of so I'm looking forward to more egging in some winter warmth, but really I'll cook outside in any weather, and have. Now...what to have...?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • dldawes1
    Pulled the ribs off and FT with sauce. (actually sauced 15 min before removing from egg)  I wanted to sauce earlier, but when I checked them, they were almost finished  !

PTL is apricot glaged and foiled on the egg for a little longer.

Peach cobbler is on the egg...not browning yet, still waiting !!!!!!!!

Thinking about experimenting with grilled bananas to see how it works !!!!

Donnie

• If I didn't have the egg strapped down for the upcoming 40mph gust tonight I would cook something (it's like 16 outside)... I haven't done much in snow (since we have had great snow this year up til today) but it seems to thunderstorm every cook over the summer. 
  • dldawes1
    Just brought the Peach Cobbler in.........Wow...you folks are awesome.....Teaching me to cook is like teaching a pig to waller in the mud...

You know how much pigs like to waller in the mud.....that's how much I like cooking on my egg and then eating the results !!!!!!

Thanks again to all you great folks here in the forum that take your time to help us new guys out !!!!!!

If you were here, I'd serve you up a plate of ribs, Apricot stuffed PTL, and peach cobbler for dessert !!

Donnie

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Looks great and making me wish I was cooking tonight for sure! Great work!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    If I didn't egg in crap weather id never egg at all!!  NL weather sucks big time...lol

Calling for 30cm of snow and 100km/h winds here on "the rock" tomorrow so it should be a good day for eggin something:)

On a side note the smokeware stainless cap  doesn't freeze onto the egg like the old DFMT used to so Im even more likly to egg from now on.

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Yea I know about your crap weather ;)  We took the ferry from North Sydney to Port Aux Basque, the night we went they had gusts to 100 km/h.  We went to the bar had couple of drinks with people we had met in the terminal and went to bed around 1:00 a.m.  Walls are pretty thin so in the next cabin two guys, the one I assume has a video camera and is narrating "here is Joe with a barf bag and he aint afraid to use it".  We both had a chuckle half hour later we where using the ones supplied in our cabin.  When we arrived on shore in the morning they said the winds at Wreckhouse are 100 km/h motorcycles and trucks are advised to stay put.  So we spend 4 hours at Tim Hortons the winds calmed to 50 with gusts to 70, we had reservation at Neddies Harbour so we got going.  Ride was fine other than the rain which was cold considering it was the end of June.  All said we had a great three weeks on the rock.

Gerhard
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Henapple close to memphis
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited January 2014
    gerhardk said:
    Yea I know about your crap weather ;)  We took the ferry from North Sydney to Port Aux Basque, the night we went they had gusts to 100 km/h.  We went to the bar had couple of drinks with people we had met in the terminal and went to bed around 1:00 a.m.  Walls are pretty thin so in the next cabin two guys, the one I assume has a video camera and is narrating "here is Joe with a barf bag and he aint afraid to use it".  We both had a chuckle half hour later we where using the ones supplied in our cabin.  When we arrived on shore in the morning they said the winds at Wreckhouse are 100 km/h motorcycles and trucks are advised to stay put.  So we spend 4 hours at Tim Hortons the winds calmed to 50 with gusts to 70, we had reservation at Neddies Harbour so we got going.  Ride was fine other than the rain which was cold considering it was the end of June.  All said we had a great three weeks on the rock.

Gerhard
    If ya ever run into trouble again on the lovely west coast of NL you know you can message me for a place to stay and a bite....but only  food from the oven of course!!! LOL
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • dldawes1

I am sorry, but I couldn't resist.....I'm staying inside when I get home this evening....no egging.....call me lightweight......

Donnie

• It's not too cold for the egg, but it is for this caveman. Staying warm has been my goal since this Arctic crap began a month ago. Still no egging for Freddie and I'm jonesing hard!
    Flint, Michigan
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Come on Fred. We had some good days the last few weeks. This next week may be a bust too.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• dldawes1
    Cleaned and loaded the egg w/ lump,   3 racks of babybacks rubbed down and put in the fridge.

Blowing and snowing all the way to work this morning at 5am and hasn't let up yet.
    22f....a heat wave. 

Sitting here working and collecting recipes from the forum...

Can't wait till 4pm to get home and fire up the egg......yes, I am eggdicted  !!!!!!!!!

Have a safe and warm day all you eggers !!

Donnie 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I kind of like the challenge of the cold, -20º C most of this week and cooked three times.

Gerhard
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Just finished up some pork chops. It was 15*  with a WC of about -5. Boy they tasted good. 
     Sucked it up and egged on!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI