Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How cold is to cold

Options
I want to grill on my egg but not sure how cold is unsafe for the season. I live in central PA. Weathers been unpredictable for the most part.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Unsafe in what way? You might get lost in the snow, but the egg will be fine. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    No one has ever reported a problem w. Egging in cold weather, and that includes those Eggers up in Canada who cook in ferocious cold.

There's been only one report that I know of w. a major winter problem, and that was from water gathering in the bottom of an Egg, and when it froze, the ceramic cracked.

Otherwise, sometimes the lid gets frozen shut, which is a hassle, but usually remedied easily.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Cold not an issue, but wind can affect the burn (air flow) and an open dome can act like a drag chute if the wind catches it right. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Cold not an issue, but wind can affect the burn (air flow) and an open dome can act like a drag chute if the wind catches it right
    Now there's a scary thought.  You need a heckofa wind to move that dome around.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just don't forget to close the dome if it's supposed to snow.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

This is awesome!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options

I was referring to having the wind catch it when you opened it during a cook, not just leaving the dome up to air it out, or in your case catch a few flakes - incredible. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I was planning to cook the night before. Got it all set up with fresh lump, ready to light. Went in the house for something and decided to bag it and use the stove. Forgot I had left the dome open. Next morning, I woke up to a little snow. Was able to use the lump anyway. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    -20F and will be egging tonight
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    That's not too cold... for the egg. WAY too cold for the cook!! This one anyway. That's just nutz!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Interesting way to soak your wood chips.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I see no issue, especially if you apply a liberal dose of (amber colored) anti-freeze, also known as the Bourbon or Scotch of your choice. That of course is applied to the cook!
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Egged last night in -14C  will be going colder tonight one thing is the wind can effect the temp stabillity when its cold more than when it's hot I've noticed. Maverick makes it easier though.

Brampton, Ontario

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    cooking in cold weather and snow, it drives the neighbours crazy. They can't do it on their gassers. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have had my Egg freeze shut a few times.  I now prop it open 1/2 inch and cover it with a tarp.  Others have never had this problem.  Avoid drastic temperature differences,  (i.e. Do not store your platersetter in a snow bank and place it in a 650 degree Egg)  If you can open it, you can cook in it.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    jhl, do you have a Rutland gasket? I am also in central CT and mine hasn't frozen shut in the 5 winters it has been thru. The Rutland is needed only on the base and I think it's less likely to freeze to the upper ceramic than it would to an upper gasket. Works for me anyway. Or, just put some foil between the top and bottom.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I'm in NC soooo 38 degs is to cold  :))  I will cook in the kitchen.  Oh crap the stove is where I hide the wife's christmas presents. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    -273.15 C or -459.67 F.  Any warmer than that and I think you're good to Egg.
    Today is -17 and I'll be Egging some sausages in about an hour.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Letz4wheel
    Options
    Mine seems to be crazing after a few low temp cooks. I have seen others post about crazing but dunno if it is part of the egg or part of the weather we use them in. It is all good though, toss the match!
    Southern Indiana
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    -24 C right now and I'm just about to fire it up. Beautiful calm night and it's still a bit light out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Only thing that has ever stopped me weather wise is a really strong wind with low humidity.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options

-24 C right now and I'm just about to fire it up. Beautiful calm night and it's still a bit light out.

Never to cold. And love those calm nights. "Still a little light out", what time is sunset there right now?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    10F here now. Expected to dip on down to 2F tonight. 

I'm glad I'm almost finished outside. 

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Never to cold. And love those calm nights. "Still a little light out", what time is sunset there right now?

Probably around 17:20. We are in the western side of the zone. Not butted right up against it like you are.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I cooked pork chops and baked potatoes (cheated on the potatoes by microwaving them for 15 minutes)  tonight, -19ºC calm started the fire when there was still light cook ended in the dark.  The cook took no longer than it would on a summer's evening, other than cold feet I enjoyed the cooking.

Gerhard
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Below 40 and I dont want to use the Egg.  For the past 3 weekends we have planned to use the Egg and went and bought food (bone in ham, pork butt, meat/stuff for lasagna) - But aborted every time.  Cooked the lasagna in the house this weekend as I was not standing outside in the cold to cook.

Maybe it will heat up soon so I can use it again.

Garnerville, NY