Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First attempt at cooking venison

My just turned 15 year old son killed a 130 pound doe this year. Every year he gets at least one deer, and I have it processed and give the meat to my parents. I haven't had venison since I was a kid and had no desire to eat it again. 

This year my son was fine giving most of the meat away, but he insisted the we get the back straps and loins. I froze them and hoped he would forget about them. He didn't. I gave in and cooked them on Saturday. 

I did some research on this forum and others, and I talked to a lot of hunters on the best way to cook them. I think I got a different answer from almost everyone I talked to. "Soak it in regular milk", "soak it in buttermilk", "don't soak it in milk". It went on forever. The one thing most people said was to wrap it in bacon. 

I finally just decided to do it may way and the success or failure would rest with me. My son was very excited about all of this, and I wanted to do a good job for him. I thawed the meat and cut the back strap into two pieces. I removed the silver skin, rubbed in olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, wrapped it in apple bacon and coated it in Red Eye Express. I used toothpicks and did the best I could to get the bacon to stay in place. I cooked it all direct at around 350. Because it was direct I had to turn it often. I pulled it at around 145. It still looked pretty rare to me. My wife wouldn't try it, but she was nice enough to slice it for us. 

My son was ready. My 12 year old daughter seemed pretty eager to try it as well. Both of them are picky eaters. My daughter loves steak, but hates hamburgers and hot dogs. Anyway I told my son that it might be an "epic fail" and that I was sorry if I had ruined it. 

I was nervous as the children took their first bite.......they loved it!!!!!!! I was so happy. Dad was a hero!!!!!!  They ate all they had on their plate and begged for more!  I told one of my buddies at work about it today. He takes my son hunting a lot and has a freezer full of venison, but he said he no longer grills it because he didn't like it grilled. He said it always come out tough and dry. I told him what my kids thought about it, and he asked for a sample. I went home and brought him back a plate and told him to be honest. He took one bite and he loved it as well. 

He wants me to cook some for him now. "It is so tender and juicy" were his comments. I gave all of the credit to my Egg. 

Anyway I felt pretty good about the outcome of the cook. I didn't get an after picture, but here is a before. 
Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments