Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hello everyone! I'm new

Hi everyone.  I'm new to the forum and to the Big Green Egg "lifestyle".  I purchased the XLBGE, Backyard Chef Edition Table, AR, and Woo 2 combo on Friday January 10th.  The following Sunday I cooked 3 racks of baby back ribs and 10lbs of chicken wings.  The ribs were cooked at 220 for about 4 hours.  They were not as tender as I would have liked so I think that I need to put them in foil for a period of time next time.  The wings were done raised direct at 400 degrees and were excellent.  I then did a few chicken breast on Tuesday which were so moist, I just couldn't believe it.  Saturday night I put an 8lb pork butt on at 8:45pm anywhere from 240-260 degrees.  It reached 195 at 7am Sunday.  I then wrapped it in foil, towel and into the cooler for 3 hours.  I have NEVER had pulled pork so good in my life.  I didn't even put any sauce on it other than "Myron's butt rub" which I got from the store.  Sunday afternoon I cooked 2 spatchcock chickens. Raised direct at 400 degrees. Unbelievable!  I did spend a ton of money on this set up.  I truly think that it is one of the best investments that I have ever made.  What a great week of cooking and drinking beers.  I'm located in Maryland.  I'm watching it snow and wondering what I should put on "the green gazoo" today.  She loves her pet name too!

I look forward to exchanging ideas and learning from everyone on this post.  Everything that I have cooked so far was a result of time spent here learning how to do it.

Thanks for all of the upcoming support!
Chester, MD
·

Comments

• johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 3,626
    Welcome to the club. It sounds like you are certainly breaking her in!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    ·
  • Congrats on the new egg!  Your off to a great start, probably just need to cook the ribs longer.  Have fun!
    ·
  • pineypiney Posts: 614
    Welcome DIAD! Sounds like you had some very sucessful cooks, keep up the good work and please keep us posted. Enjoy and welcome to the cult!
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,476

Welcome and remember to post your pictures!

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • Welcome, and great start so far. (remember pics next time)

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 800
    That was one hell of a start to EGGing.  Either you have been lurking on here a while or you have had some training.  Good work and welcome.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
    ·
  • Sounds like you jumped right in and are going full steam! Congrats!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
    ·
  • Welcome! You're off to a flying start! You hang with Gazoo too?? I thought only me & my buddy Barn are the only ones that can see him. I must correct you. Gazoo is not a she. He's a pretty good guy, but I get tired of his arrogant attitude about being superior. I also get tired of him calling me "Dum-Dum".

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • DIADDIAD Posts: 170
    Here are some pics.  I forgot that we also made a couple of pizza's on Friday night.  They aren't that round because that's the way my 3 year old made them. 
    Chester, MD
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,350
    edited January 2014
    Welcome DIAD. I agree with @yellowdogbbq  on the ribs. I go 250* for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours for babybacks and an hour longer for side ribs typically.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • dldawes1dldawes1 Posts: 1,410

Welcome to the high life.....eatin high on the hog that is !!!!!!!

+1 on longer on the ribs. or can use a different method....just search on the forum.

You will meet a great bunch of folks on here and they are very knowledgeable.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - Carrollton, KY  

1-XLBGE, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,400
    DIAD said:
    Here are some pics.  I forgot that we also made a couple of pizza's on Friday night.  They aren't that round because that's the way my 3 year old made them. 
    This excuse is quite funny.

Welcome!
    ·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 614
    Welcome aboard! Now you know what good food tastes like.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • Welcome. those are some good looking cook!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,490
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Welcome, you are now off to a fast start.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,786
    Awesome setup! You are a quick learner or maybe just talented.
    ·
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 153
    I got my XL just after you did and I cooked on it every day for 7 days in a row. I have to take a break now so we can finish up what I cooked. Your setup sounds awesome.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
    ·
  • TackmanTackman Posts: 226
    Nicely done.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Wow, that's more than I get to cook in a couple months. Welcome.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,082
    Welcome!
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • Welcome aboard. Fun times and good eats ahead.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • Welcome.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,636
    Welcome aboard-great start.  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Welcome from Tennessee

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

·
  • erbloveerblove Posts: 86
    Welcome...you'll never be the same again. 
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
    ·
  • lilwootylilwooty Posts: 213
    erblove said:
    Welcome...you'll never be the same again. 

Or if you are like me, you'll never weigh the same again!

Living Large and XL

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,490
    edited January 2014

NM

Ricky

Spring, TX

·