Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket fail after fail after fail

Options

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Last one I did I tried pulling the naked packer off the egg at 165 then finished it up in a 250 oven using a turkey oven bag. Rather than using a toothpick method for doneness I poked on it with my finger outside the bag to judge how tender it was. Fat side down the whole time. Very tender and the bark was fine by me. Only downside was I went too heavy on the Worcestershire sauce during the rubdown.
    Anyone can hit a 3 wood. It's like...cheating

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I was more concerned with Choice wet aged than the weight, big mistake I'm sure. Was the most equal in thickness that they had.  I looked online, and shipping cost the same as the brisket from anywhere I found, gonna have to get another cow, lol.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    @littlesteven Someone posted a question on sous vide for a brisket, I called it blasphemy, lol!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I was more concerned with Choice wet aged than the weight, big mistake I'm sure. Was the most equal in thickness that they had.  I looked online, and shipping cost the same as the brisket from anywhere I found, gonna have to get another cow, lol.
    Where do you live?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Northern New Jersey, we have Taylor Ham, and Yuengling beer. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    Northern New Jersey, we have Taylor Ham, and Yuengling beer. 
    Hmm...pastrami is big there so someone has to sell packers around there. 
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Lol, you would think there would be something around here, like I said, most of my meat I butcher myself, but there are only so many prime cuts and I split them with my brother and sister, so I gotta eat up the less than prime cuts before I cut up another.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    XL owner. 225-275 range for brisket.

Fat cap down??? so all of the rendered goodness drips into the pan and not into the meat?? Say What???? 

Always fat cap UP!!!!!! and I generally pull it between 190 and 200 depending on how big of a hurry we are to eat.  Let it rest at least an hour (FTC).
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Yeah, fat cap down seems to be the popular method so running fat doesn't wash away your rub, but my first brisket, my awesome brisket, was fat up, and according to BBQ GOD Steven Raichlen, fat up, I will always go fat up from here on out. Right or wrong, it worked for me, the only time it ever worked for me, lol
  • cazzy
    Options
    Most pros using huge offset smokers go fat cap up as the heat flows over the meat.  They will often say that it helps protect the meat.  I'm a believer that lots of heat reflects off the dome onto the meat, so I think the same applies for the egg.  I'm no brisket or bbq god, but that's my humble opinion.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    God, no. Prophet, yes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I walk the earth to spread the techniques of our saviors Lang and Raichlen

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Last one I did I tried pulling the naked packer off the egg at 165 then finished it up in a 250 oven using a turkey oven bag. Rather than using a toothpick method for doneness I poked on it with my finger outside the bag to judge how tender it was. Fat side down the whole time. Very tender and the bark was fine by me. Only downside was I went too heavy on the Worcestershire sauce during the rubdown.

Results are all I care about. It worked pretty slick.
    Gittin' there...
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Where in the world do you get these briskets that are 12-15 pounds.  We see them like 5-6 pounds around here.  Perhaps I need to move to Austin.
    I live far from Austin (in Lancaster, PA) and there are several places to get briskets of 12-18 pounds including Walmart.  I don't know where you live, but talk to your butcher or meat manager and see if they can order you one.  If you know someone in the restaurant business see if they will take you to Restaurant Depot.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Where in the world do you get these briskets that are 12-15 pounds.  We see them like 5-6 pounds around here.  Perhaps I need to move to Austin.
    I live far from Austin (in Lancaster, PA) and there are several places to get briskets of 12-18 pounds including Walmart.  I don't know where you live, but talk to your butcher or meat manager and see if they can order you one.  If you know someone in the restaurant business see if they will take you to Restaurant Depot.
    Yeah need to make it down to Restaurant Depot one of these days.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yeah need to make it down to Restaurant Depot one of these days.
    My experience has been that I need to ask the butcher if they have a whole packer. They're not likely to have them out in the display, but rather back in the cooler.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jimreed777
    Options
    Begin by following these directions EXACTLY....

Aaron Franklin Brisket series:

This is the first one - watch all three...

I bought the pink butcher paper from the guys down the street that he buys his from.

I typically put my own spin on my recipes and methods...not with brisket. This brisket is simple and amazing.

You MUST cut up the point and do burnt ends though. the best.

• WoodsDog
    Options
    This is a great thread, a wealth of info.  I have a couple of questions though about a few comments.

Here are some of the things that I have heard about brisket:

I've heard brisket should be like an accordion.  It should be pullable but not fall apart.  In Franklin's videos, he holds up a cut piece, and it folds down, but doesn't fall apart.  (It's a beautiful thing)

If briskets are not done not enough, they are tough.

If briskets are over done, they are dry and fall apart.

When it's done right, the "butta" effect should happen, slide in with no resistance.

A lot of people in this thread seem to pull their briskets at 205 as opposed to 195.

------------------------------------
    Trying to satisfy all the requirements is where the technique comes into play.  At 195, my last couple brisket were dry and fell apart.  The edges were bit crispy (way too done).   This would signal it's been cooked too long.   And I never had the "butta" effect.

I think I need to modify my technique, but I guess I'm still not sure what I need to change.

Thanks for the comments, they are great!

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    @GalanteNate_OneEa Maybe I missed this in the post, are you cooking indirect? @Cazzy, do you cook in a photo studio? Holy cow! Brisket looked like it came out of a magazine. Now I'm starving.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • cazzy
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    @GalanteNate_OneEa Maybe I missed this in the post, are you cooking indirect? @Cazzy, do you cook in a photo studio? Holy cow! Brisket looked like it came out of a magazine. Now I'm starving.
    Trust me, all of my food tastes freaking horrible.  All of it is camera work.   :-\"
  • GQuiz
    Options
    @cazzy Are you cooking in Salado? Or at the Austin Egg Fest in April?

• cazzy
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    I likely will cook in Salado.  If I don't, i'll never hear the end of it.  Right @Mickey and @henapple
  • GQuiz
    Options
    cazzy said:
    GQuiz said:
    I likely will cook in Salado.  If I don't, i'll never hear the end of it.  Right @Mickey and @henapple

I can't wait to try the "freakin horrible food." And SWMBO is joining me on the trek north. Serious red letter day.

• Little Steven
    Options

Results are all I care about. It worked pretty slick.
    Just funning man.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    Options
    cazzy said:

GQuiz said:

Correct. ..gonna be hard to take those pics with broken fingers.

:((
  • Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    GQuiz said:
    Correct. ..gonna be hard to take those pics with broken fingers. :((
    You aren't thinking of shutting a dome on Mic's fingers are you? Wait till I get there before you do eh.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    Options
    No..cazzy. Mickey has to be able to pull my winning ticket out. You coming?
  • Little Steven
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Planning on it. The missus is even thinking about coming and she hates fests. Wait for me on Cazzy's hands too will ya?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GQuiz
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Gquiz indirect

That's a puzzler. I cook market trimmed 9 pounders raised indirect over a pan of apple juice, fat side down. I cover in mustard and Bad Bad Byron's. I cook at whatever it parks at between 240-280. I use a Maverick and don't open the lid until it passes 180 IT. That's just to make sure it looks right. I pull at 205 and FTC for at least 90 minutes. Honestly, the longer I FTC, the better it turns out. I know how frustrating it is to devote the time and effort to no avail. I feel I've dialed it in. Then again, with all the great advice I get here, success can be a click away. Good luck with the next brisket.