Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic Sage Brined Pork Chops

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Headed over to Shady Maple this morning and had them cut me some 2" thick chops. Did a few other errands this morning, was just planning to season these and grill them tonight. Then I remembered Charcuterie had a brine recipe for pork chops. Looked it up and I had enough time. Mixed up the brine, got it cooled down, then the chops went for a 2.5 hour swim. After the brine, rinsed and dried them, then back in the fridge for about an hour.

Got the XL stabilized at 250* indirect with plate setter, the small fired up to 650*. Pat dried the chops again and then seasoned with just a bit of kosher salt. I seared first for 2 minutes per side, then moved them over to the XL for the roast. Took about 40 minutes to hit 135*. Also put some asparagus on the small at the end once it cooled down a bit. After the rest, sliced it up for everyone. No sliced pics, as everyone was ready to eat.

This was some of the best food from my egg yet. Definitely the best pork chops I've ever had. Flavor was excellent and so juicy. We only ate one tonight, the other will be leftovers for sometime this week. 

Here's the brine recipe, worth the few hours if you have the time. And if you don't have Charcuterie by Ruhlman and Polcyn, do yourself a favor and get it.

Garlic Sage Brine: (I did everything by weight in grams)

2 quarts/2 liters water
1/2 C / 125g kosher salt
2/4 packed cup/125g dark brown sugar
4 packed tbls/24g fresh sage leaves
1 tbls/8g juniper berries, crushed with the side of a knife
2 garlic cloves, lightly smashed with the side of a knife
1 tbls/10g freshly ground black pepper

1) Combine all ingredients in a pot large enough to hold the pork and bring to a simmer, stirring. Remove from heat and let cool completely, then refrigerate until cold.

2) Add pork to bring and refrigerate for 2 hours for chops, up to 6 hours for thick chops, 12 hours for entire bone-in loin.

3) Remove from brine, rinse under cold water, pat dry with paper towels. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least an hour, up to 24.

imageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments