Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too beat to do chicken tonight, want to do vertical simple tomorrow night

After spending at least half the day replacing the headlamp assemblies on my 1995 F150, too tired to mess with Egg.  At least I can see at night now.  Next up is replace the leaking radiator, which I did on my last F150 in an hour, so will be a pleasure compared to the knuckle busting, my hands are too big for these small places ordeal it was today doing those headlamps.  SWMBO is gonna do pasta and veggies tonight.

So, want to do my first vertical chicken.  Got one of those stainless steel vertical stands.  So gonna make sure I do it upside down, a la Little Steven I think originated?  Put in a pan to catch drippings.  I have my makeshift raised grid, do I cook it up that high or just normal grate height?  After that, not sure what to do.  Rub it with some kind of rub, any suggestions?  We like that lemon pepper chicken from Publix, don't laugh!  Any ideas on how to do something similar like that maybe?

Clueless as to internal temps to cook to.
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've got two on right now. A little evo, any rub you like. I'm indirect at 400, raised pan below and go till the breast is 165/thigh or leg is 180. Sometimes I cut the leg skin to drain the juice and speed things up. On a side note...you're ready to get pounded with the word spatchcock.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    spatchcock
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Those vertical stands work great to dry your gloves on after washing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple said:
    I've got two on right now. A little evo, any rub you like. I'm indirect at 400, raised pan below and go till the breast is 165/thigh or leg is 180. Sometimes I cut the leg skin to drain the juice and speed things up. On a side note...you're ready to get pounded with the word spatchcock.
    Yeah, yeah.  I know Spatchcock, but thought we'd give this vertical stand a try before I start using it as a place to hang my propeller beanie.  About how long to cook, 1.5 hours or so to get to correct internal temp?
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Okay, going to do spatchcock tonight instead after sleeping on it.  Plan is 400 raised grid, with a drip pan underneath to catch the drippings.  I guess some people do raised direct instead?  Why would I do direct vs. indirect?  Seems like would make a mess letting everything drip onto coals?

Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I like to go raised with a pan of veggies under the chicken to catch the drippings and the veggies cook in chicken fat.  It is a win-win!   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoofusOfTheDay
    DoofusOfTheDay Posts: 401
    edited January 2014
    I like to go raised with a pan of veggies under the chicken to catch the drippings and the veggies cook in chicken fat.  It is a win-win!   

Interesting.  How do you prepare the vegetables and what kind of veggies?  Oh and assume it is safely cooked, I mean raw juice dripping in there and what not.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2014
    I first got the idea from "The Chicken" recipe:

Nothing too specific- I like to cut up red potatoes, onion, bell pepper, zuccini, and mushrooms.  I toss them in olive oil with some minced garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, parsely, thyme.   I have an "italian seasoning blend" from costco that works well if I don't have the individual herbs.  I find it is good to cut the taters pretty small compared to the veggies so they get cooked.  Sometimes if I think about it I will give the taters a head start and then throw in the other veggies when I put on the chicken.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I like to go raised with a pan of veggies under the chicken to catch the drippings and the veggies cook in chicken fat.  It is a win-win!   

This is definitely my favorite way to do a whole chicken. The juices make everything taste decadent.
    Interesting.  How do you prepare the vegetables and what kind of veggies?  Oh and assume it is safely cooked, I mean raw juice dripping in there and what not.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I just. Evo, season, add a little chicken broth and cook. I cut my veggies the size of a baby portobello. Be careful not to overcook as they tend to get mushy. I use...

Red peppers
    Onion
    Zucchini
    Yellow squash
    Mushrooms
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    henapple said:

SPATCHCOCK
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Add potatoes to the veggies - spuds in chicken fat is luxury.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Well Spatchcock has been on close to an hour around 380, raised grate, with tray of veggies underneath it.  Leg was just at 180, breast about 145.  Looks like legs will end up being a little over done, but oh well nothing I can do I guess.  Gotta wait until breast is 165 I read.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    When you get the chance try one inverted on the stand. Keep the back towards the back of the egg for most of the cook. Put the platesetter inverted on the fire ring and spacers under the pan. Turn the bird when the back is nice and brown.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• When you get the chance try one inverted on the stand. Keep the back towards the back of the egg for most of the cook. Put the platesetter inverted on the fire ring and spacers under the pan. Turn the bird when the back is nice and brown.
    inverted means PS legs up?  Pan on grate on top of PS?
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2014
    No, pan on the legs up platesetter on some spacers. You can do it as you say but you can run out of headroom. I like Dizzy Dust on chicken as much as anything.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well it was about a 6 pound chicken, I didn't notice and wifey thinks that's what it was, I just thought it looked pretty dang big.  Took almost 2 hours and still the very middle of the breast was borderline done.  I'd do it again but with 2 smaller chickens.  My egg finally stabilized around 400*.  PS with legs up, grate with aluminum tray of veggies, and then raised grid on top of that with chicken.  EVOO with some roasted garlic and herb spice on the chicken.

Veggies included red and gold potatoes cut up, onion, yellow pepper, mushrooms.  Wish I had thrown in zucchini too.  Threw some olive oil and italian spices and some S&P on the veggies.  The veggies were unreal!  The chicken fat really did the trick.

2 hours seems like a long time from what I've read.  I wonder if the PS and the pan kept the heat from getting up to chicken?  Dunno.  Forgot to take pic of veggies until they were almost all gone!
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    Well it was about a 6 pound chicken, I didn't notice and wifey thinks that's what it was, I just thought it looked pretty dang big.  Took almost 2 hours and still the very middle of the breast was borderline done.  I'd do it again but with 2 smaller chickens.  My egg finally stabilized around 400*.  PS with legs up, grate with aluminum tray of veggies, and then raised grid on top of that with chicken.  EVOO with some roasted garlic and herb spice on the chicken.

Veggies included red and gold potatoes cut up, onion, yellow pepper, mushrooms.  Wish I had thrown in zucchini too.  Threw some olive oil and italian spices and some S&P on the veggies.  The veggies were unreal!  The chicken fat really did the trick.

2 hours seems like a long time from what I've read.  I wonder if the PS and the pan kept the heat from getting up to chicken?  Dunno.  Forgot to take pic of veggies until they were almost all gone!

I did 2 about that size Friday night and that's about how long they took. No platesetter in but i had a pan of potatoes between the main grid and the raised grid the chickens were on. When i go raised direct with no barrier between the fire and the bird, they cook a bit more quickly. I remember a 5lb taking about 1 1/4 hour.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    Well it was about a 6 pound chicken, I didn't notice and wifey thinks that's what it was, I just thought it looked pretty dang big.  Took almost 2 hours and still the very middle of the breast was borderline done.  I'd do it again but with 2 smaller chickens.  My egg finally stabilized around 400*.  PS with legs up, grate with aluminum tray of veggies, and then raised grid on top of that with chicken.  EVOO with some roasted garlic and herb spice on the chicken.

I did 2 about that size Friday night and that's about how long they took. No platesetter in but i had a pan of potatoes between the main grid and the raised grid the chickens were on. When i go raised direct with no barrier between the fire and the bird, they cook a bit more quickly. I remember a 5lb taking about 1 1/4 hour.
    I wasn't sure if I should have PS in there or not,  Seemed like if I didn't have PS in the lower grate with veggies on it would be kind of close to the coals and maybe get over cooked.  So you put lower grate right on fire ring or is it raised from fire ring?
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW said:

I wasn't sure if I should have PS in there or not,  Seemed like if I didn't have PS in the lower grate with veggies on it would be kind of close to the coals and maybe get over cooked.  So you put lower grate right on fire ring or is it raised from fire ring?
    Correct, main grid on fire ring, raised grid with chickens above. I only had potatoes in my pan, no veggies, and stirred them around a bit a few times throughout. Potatoes can take the heat, other stuff might get overcooked, not sure.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Yeah next time don't think I will have PS in place, pan for potatoes and add other veggies half way through probably.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Okay if I were to do this again, but cook drumsticks, or quarters instead of whole spatchcock, about how long would it take an hour?
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA