Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try with Rockwood

2»

Comments

• Question about purchasing from Firecraft, as I don't believe Rockwood is in my area.(Phoenix metro)

When purchasing 5 bags, to get the free shipping, how is it packaged? One big 100 pound box, or in 2 or 3 separate boxes? Does the lump get broken up from the shuffling, tossing, kicking during delivery??  :-/
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • Duranhler said:

Question about purchasing from Firecraft, as I don't believe Rockwood is in my area.(Phoenix metro)

When purchasing 5 bags, to get the free shipping, how is it packaged? One big 100 pound box, or in 2 or 3 separate boxes? Does the lump get broken up from the shuffling, tossing, kicking during delivery??  :-/

Mine came 4 bags in one box and one bag in another box. I have only opened one bag and it had small pieces but also nice size pieces.
    Way better than my last bag of RO for sure.

Nowhere Indiana
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I shipped individual bags for a little while......the sweet spot on the shipping was 2-3 bags per box.  Anything over 70-lbs or a certain girth puts you in the "oversize" surcharge--3 bags was right under that.  But it took a pretty strong box to hold that much weight, and that much tape & box adds to the shipping cost.

I had a theory about the size and weight....I figured if it was close to 70#, they were more likely to use a handtruck and keep it on the bottom shelf on the truck.  But at the same time, if they were too busy to use a handtruck, if was more likely to get roughly handled.  In the end, I finally accepted that it was going to get beat to hell no matter how I packaged it.  :(

• Mine came 4 bags in one box and one bag in another box. I have only opened one bag and it had small pieces but also nice size pieces. Way better than my last bag of RO for sure.
    Thank you for that info, Loosemoose. That's encourging.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I talked with Mike the owner at Bluegrass Grill in Lexington today. He has 12 bags of Rockwood.....don't go buy it before I can get there next week on my way to FL !!!!!!

Thanks again, STL,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    I have been trying to buy some rockwood and no one in town seeks it. So I am trying to go to Atlanta area to buy and every one I call is out and can not tell me when they will be getting some more in. I have looked online but it is $92.00 shipping on 5 bags…… Does anyone know where or who sells it close to Chattanooga TN?
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    @roblew: You can get Rockwood bags from www.firecraft.com with free shipping for orders over $100.00.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    How many bags are you interested in getting in Atlanta?

I'll be more than happy to stop at the Ace down the road from me tomorrow. 
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    roblew said:

I have been trying to buy some rockwood and no one in town seeks it. So I am trying to go to Atlanta area to buy and every one I call is out and can not tell me when they will be getting some more in. I have looked online but it is $92.00 shipping on 5 bags…… Does anyone know where or who sells it close to Chattanooga TN?

We have a truck leaving for Atlanta tomorrow......hopefully it will be distributed to the stores by the end of the week.
  • Duranhler said:

Duranhler said:

Mine came 4 bags in one box and one bag in another box. I have only opened one bag and it had small pieces but also nice size pieces.
    Way better than my last bag of RO for sure.

Thank you for that info, Loosemoose. That's encourging.

Your welcome, hope you get ya some. :D
    Nowhere Indiana
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    @stlcharcoal thanks. I will try to get to Atl area to get some.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited January 2014
    I ordered 5 bags of Rockwood yesterday from Firecraft. I live in CT. $99.75, no tax and no shipping. Arrived 10:00am this morning. 4 bags in one box and 1 in the other. Fed Ex. I haven't opened a bag yet but it feels and sounds like there are good sized pieces inside. They also offer Ozark Oak. Can't wait to light it up this weekend and see if it lives up to the hype. Not sure how they make money, shipping 100lbs overnight can't be cheap!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • After reading this and all the other reviews on Rockwood I have 5 bags coming from Firecraft now too!

Lump choices seem pretty non-existant on this side of the state.  My options are always either Cowboy or Royal Oak.

Here's hoping it works out!
    Grand Rapids, MI