Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping a few chunks of wood in water all of the time

Options
Does anyone keep a few chunks of wood in water to use for your next smoke?  Does it help the smoke by prolonging the wood or do VOC's become more of an issue?
CC, TX
1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    no I don't nor do I even bother soaking my wood. Reason is simple - the wood can't produce smoke until it dries out from the soaking.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I tried that several years back and found that the chunks would make a slimy film on the water and I stopped doing it 'cause the egg does not need soaked wood IMHO.  Have just used chips or chunks dry for the last 10 years or so.  Sometimes when using chips,pellets or tea I will wrap in HDAF and poke a few holes and just toss into fire. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't soak at all. From what I've seen, most eggers don't. In any case, I would think mold or mildew would become an issue with prolonged soaking.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I'm another non soaker
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I never soak wood chunks for use with the Egg.   IMHO - soaking has no effect on the Egg.

Cookin in Texas
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I do not soak either. I mix in the chunks throughout the lump and I think if the wood was wet it would just get the lump wet, and that is no bueno 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

If you're doing a really low and slow cook (sub-250), it takes a long time for that wood to dry out.  Then after it dries, it turns into charcoal. 

So, I never soak chunks.  If for some reason I get some chips, I would soak those since it takes me a while to get the plate setter & meat in there before the lid is closed.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Any water absorbed by the wood (and it's not much, that's why we make canoes out of it) when heated is just being turned into steam.  If you want more smoke instead of steam, then don't soak.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The egg is an air restricted smoker/grill. Smoke wood does not have to be soaked in a kamado. Smoke wood must be soaked to slow down and lengthen the burn when you cannot restrict the air flow, that's why the concept of soaking smoke wood makes sense in a non air restricted smoker/grill. 
    In a kamado grill, the smoke wood simply burns as the air supply lets it. Mix smoke wood (chips or chunks) throughout the lump, all will be good. For long cooks you want to start with a small fire and let the fire travel to the smoke wood throughout the cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • margareedaville
    Options
    Good feedback and makes sense.  I've always mixed dry wood with charcoal for long cooks, but my father in law swears by soaking wood first...
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Soaking wood chunks/chips seems to work for gas grills hence folks think it must work for charcoal too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    If your F.I.L. wants to soak chips add a drop or two of hand dishwashing
    liquid to the water. That will break  the surface tension between the wood 
    and the water letting the water soak in very quickly.
    Pensacola,FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I don't soak wood either.. But Bge cookbook States to soak. Why would they suggest it?
    Because they don't read this forum.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Whaler said:
    Then do a clean burn?????     =))
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Seeing I was the first to respond and said I do not soak there is one exception that works as a trick for me. Say my temperature had gotten way - away from me before putting my food on - say 100 degrees or even more then I will take a few handfuls of chips or more if it is a raging fire and then soak them in very hot tap water for 10 minutes. The hot water opens the pores of the wood more. Then open my dome and quickly spread those wet chips on the hot part of the fire. Close dome and listen to the hiss and watch the temperature back off quicker than any other trick I know. Trust me this little trick works!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    Whaler said:
    Why the clean burn? :(|)
    Pensacola,FL
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Whaler said:
    Whaler said:
    Why the clean burn? :(|)
    Because you put soap in it......sorry, lame attempt at humor.