Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O/T Chicago Steakhouse

We'll be in Chicago in June.  Looking for recommendations for a Steakhouse.  We went to Harry Caray's last time.  Also going to Lou Malnoti's for deep dish.  We are staying near the Navy Pier.
Concord, CA

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Weber Grill in downtown is very good, all the food is prepared on Weber grills and these are some BIG grills. For a classic Chicago steakhouse Morton's or Gibson's.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Gibsons is my #1 pick when in Chicago. If the wait is long you can usually get a table at Hugo's, the sister seafood restaurant next door which shares the same kitchen and serves the same steaks.
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Primehouse is supposed to be pretty good from what I hear
  • Keefer's is my favorite, even beyond Gibson's and Harry Carry's. For deep dish, I'd recommend Giordano's over malnoti's.

/live in Lincoln park, work in right by the Loop
    Pentwater, MI
  • There are so many great steakhouses in Chicago that I would skip the names that everyone knows...not that they are not good but in my opinion there are better.  Chicago Cut is currently my favorite.  David Burke's is good too.  I haven't been to Bavette's Bar & Beouf yet but have heard that it is wonderful and cannot wait to try it.  If you want a true old-school Chicago steakhouse experience you can't beat Gene and Georgetti's...big tastey steaks, old supper club vibe but the sides are mediocre.  If you have a chance check out Longman and Eagle for a killer brunch (duck hash and chicken and waffles and a killer whiskey list!), but go early or you will wait and wait and wait for a table.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Weber's
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

too many to choose from- don't over think it.. some of the ones I have enjoyed and would go back to without a doubt

mortons

gibsons

keefers

gene&geogetti's

smith and wolensky- had a killer bone in ribeye here

the palm

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Although it's not a steak house, as such, Ralph Laurens place has terrific steaks and veal chops.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Hit up Gino's East for deep dish. 
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I've been to some of the ones mentioned (Palm, Gene & Georgetti's, Smith & Wollensky) and they're all really good. Another place that can be nice is Lawry's (prime rib) and it's walking distance from the pier.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited January 2014
    They are all good but being from the area Gibson's on Rush St. is my favorite they also have the best bar imo. The Frog bar next door uses the same kitchen so you can get the same steaks. Get a reservation well in advance. Opentable.com is a good way to make them online. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Heaven on Seven has some pretty reasonable Louisiana food and walls of hot sauces.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thank you all for the suggestions.  We have walked by Weber in the past and always wanted to try it.  Seems more like a novelty.  I'll check out the others as well..
    Concord, CA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hugos frog legs and Reba's on the pier are awesome too. Not for steak maybe but really good eateries

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kinze Chophouse on Wells is one of my favorites. Gibsons was just a little loud for my tastes. Close tables and pretty noisy.  Benny's is also one of my favorites.

If you are with a decent size group, eating in the kitchen at Smith and Wollensky was alot of fun.

I also want to try Next before April. They are doing their menu on steaks and based on reviews it outstanding!!

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    +1  I go there for lunch at least twice a month.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Hit Giordano's for a Stuffed Pizza. Different then a deep dish and an outstanding Pizza.
  • I'm pretty big into the Chicago restaurant scene, particularly in this cold weather, and here's how I'd rank the steak houses.

1. Bavette's (best overall restaurant in Chicago, IMO... make a reservation now while you can)
    2. Gibson's 
    3. Del Frisco's
    4. Morton's
    5. Ruth's Chris
    6. Gene & Georgetti's (only as it ranks as a steak restaurant - it's a very cool place)
    7. Keefers 

Lou Malnoti's is definitely the best deep dish pizza anywhere.  can't go wrong there.  I also find the deep dish pizza is even been when reheated the next day.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited February 2014
    I would say Gibson's or Chicago Cut are the top two place IMHO.  My favorite pizza is Giordano's, but Lou Malnoti's is good as well.  All though their best pizza (The Lou) is not a deep dish.  If you are looking for a low key place to eat for lunch, the best wings and bloody marys are at Jake Melnick's.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    This is very timely as I'll be going to Chicago next weekend, 14th thru the 17th.  I won't be going to any high end steak houses though.  I'll be slumming it around at various restaurants and breweries. I've been to Giordano's and it's good, but I've got a hankering for some Pequods this trip.

Plan on hitting my favorites: Revolution, Piece, Arturo's, and maybe Al's Beef since we're staying in River North.  If time allows, I'll head up north to Half Acre Brewing and hit the Bad Apple across the street for a burger.

Can't wait. One of my favorite city's to visit.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Bavettes or Primehouse are the best in town currently. Bavettes has awesome cocktails and great steaks. PrimeHouse is just outstanding. Ask them to show you the aging room with the wall of pink Himalayan salt. And try the bacon lollipops for an appetizer.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • I'm pretty big into the Chicago restaurant scene, particularly in this cold weather, and here's how I'd rank the steak houses.

1. Bavette's (best overall restaurant in Chicago, IMO... make a reservation now while you can)
    2. Gibson's 
    3. Del Frisco's
    4. Morton's
    5. Ruth's Chris
    6. Gene & Georgetti's (only as it ranks as a steak restaurant - it's a very cool place)
    7. Keefers 

Lou Malnoti's is definitely the best deep dish pizza anywhere.  can't go wrong there.  I also find the deep dish pizza is even been when reheated the next day.
    +1 on Ruth's Chris...never tried many of the others

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2014

When I was a kid, we always used to go to the Chicago Chop House a few blocks west of Water Tower Place.  I was always great, but that was a long time ago.

Here's a picture of the Weber Grill out in Schaumberg......I didn't eat there, just stopped for a photo op.

• Also, I have been to Weber both in Oakbrook and downtown and not that impressed. It's a cool gimmick but comes across as touristy and is not a true steak experience like you can get so many other places in Chicago.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Also, I have been to Weber both in Oakbrook and downtown and not that impressed. It's a cool gimmick but comes across as touristy and is not a true steak experience like you can get so many other places in Chicago.
    +1
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Try the chop house
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    The Purple Pig is a cool place with great food for lunch or late night munchies.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    YEMTrey said:
    This is very timely as I'll be going to Chicago next weekend, 14th thru the 17th.  I won't be going to any high end steak houses though.  I'll be slumming it around at various restaurants and breweries. I've been to Giordano's and it's good, but I've got a hankering for some Pequods this trip.

Plan on hitting my favorites: Revolution, Piece, Arturo's, and maybe Al's Beef since we're staying in River North.  If time allows, I'll head up north to Half Acre Brewing and hit the Bad Apple across the street for a burger.

Can't wait. One of my favorite city's to visit.
    Atlas is another good local brewery -- not far from Half Acre (though I prefer the Half Acre beers), and Atlas serves food (unlike Half Acre).  If you are on the North Side, Hopleaf and Fountainhead are two of the best beer bars in the city.   Metropolitan is still my pick for best local brewery, but they don't have a tasting room.   
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    What about David Burkes Primehouse?  Never been but I clicked through this really cool slideshow about his dry aged process.  He has a patent on his pink salt wall - crazy - link below. 

SIDE NOTE: through college I worked at Mortons and made the trip to the original location in Chicago with a few buddies (we got huge discount).  It might be a chain - but the massive porterhouse is hard to beat!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”