Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you use wood chunks at high temp?

Options
Have a tri tip in the egg right now.  Reverse searing at 250 with a sizable chunk of red oak in there.  I'm going to kick the temp up to nuclear for a high heat sear soon, but I'm wondering: do I take the chunk out for the sear portion?  Or should I keep it in?  Is it ok to have wood in there during a sear?
Southern California

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sure...just leave it there. ..pics too
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Great!  Will it still add smoke flavor?
    Southern California
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Even kingsford will add some smoke flavor. It may be waxy but smokey, yes. LOL
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Just leave it, it wont hurt a thing.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • bicktrav
    Options
    As requested, here are pics from last night's tri tip cook.  Left the red oak in for the high sear at 700.  Turned out very well.  I will say though, I'm still baffled by tri tip and temp.  I had this piece going low and slow until 125 internal.  Then I seared it at 700 for about 4 minutes per side.  Internal temp should have gone up by around 10 degrees on account of the high heat sear, right?  Ended up far more rare than a 135 steak normally is.  Something about tri tip.  Even in the high 130's it seems a touch rare. 

Southern California
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks good, but it it is more rare in appearance than what the thermometer was sayings.  It's funny, there was a discussion the other day where someone mentioned they always cook tri-tip to 140+.  I have only cooked a couple and did them much like you: cook to about 125+sear.  One difference is I did not go low.  I was cooking at 350-375 for the roast portion.  

It still looks great though.  I would hit that! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I think the belief is that past a certain internal temperature meat will no longer absorb smoke. So leaving the chunks in the fire won't hurt anything because meat isn't absorbing it.
  • bicktrav
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - Yeah, I was involved in that earlier discussion.  Very strange about tri tip.  I have a brand new Thermapen (gift from the holidays), so I can't imagine I'm getting an inaccurate reading. This tri tip was also grass fed, and I know that can sometime result in a stronger red color, but it was definitely on the rarer side than I was shooting for.  May have to try shooting for an IT of 140 next time.  Strange.
    Southern California