Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turbo ribs convert!

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,457
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
tried turbo BB ribs for the first time (thanks to Mickey?) so much easier! can't justify going back to low ans slow again!  

painted with mustard, followed by light sprinkle of Bad Byron's, paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, ground pepper. 350F XL indirect, 1.25 hr meat side up, 1.25 hour bone side up, passed bend test after 2nd flip, finish with 50/50 Blue Hogs original and Tennessee Red (courtesy of Weekend Warrior on the other forum).

don't mean to stir the pot, sometimes I feel BGE's ability to hold temp low for extended period is it's worst enemy because it prevented me from thinking outside the lo and slo box :(

also tried umami burger for the first time, topped with swiss cheese, sauteed onion and mushroom ...

also stole my DW's shrimp and pork meatball mix and made burgers ...
canuckland

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Very nice -- i'm gonna try this next week!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Everything looks great, where did you get that shrimp meatball recipe?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Canugghead
    it's my DW's, really simple, no measurements sorry ... ground pork, chopped chunky shrimp, salt, garlic powder, fresh cilantro, green onion, fish sauce, pepper.  sandwiched meatball with waxed paper and flattend in burger press, hardened in freezer for easier handling.
    canuckland
  • Scottborasjr
    With those ingredients really all I need to experiment is a guess on how much fish sauce to use per pound of meat.  Is the pork/shrimp ratio 50/50 or more pork then shrimp?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    =P~ Wow that looks awesome! Nicely done. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Canugghead
    definitely more pork than shrimp, and go real easy on the fish sauce!  you can cook and taste a tiny sample, then adjust as needed.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Whoa... I thought the ribs were beautiful and then came the burgers. Kudos!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Scottborasjr
    I'm probably being stupid but who or what is your DW?
  • Canugghead
    @Caliking. Thanks but it's child's play compared to any one of your recent cooks, let alone a whole bunch of 'em :\">

@Scottborasjr. http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/DW ;)
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Turbo ribs rule :@)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    DW = Divorced Wife ????
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow- those ribs look perfect.  No foil at all...just 350 for 2.5 hours?  I might just have to give this a try sometime.

The two burgers also look amazing.  Great pics all around! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    DW = Divorced Wife ????
    Gary is amazingly wealthy...It's his Driver's Wife

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    edited August 2013
    Question: Mickey's Turbo ribs call for 350 for 1 hr, 40 mins

You are doing 1.25 hours on each side... or 2.5 hours total at 350

How can his cook in 1 hour and 40  minutes and yours take 2 and a half hours? 

What am I missing here?

• Canugghead
    dunno, they're ready when they're ready... too many variables .... may be I didn't trust turbo (afraid of it burning?) and peeked too often ... remember when you're lookin you ain't cookin ... may be because Mickey is the true turbo guru ... whatever... sorry not sure if I really answered your question.
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I do not open it at all.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

I was going to ask the same question as I searched Mickey's turbo ribs after reading a new post today with the 1:40 + :15 min cook time.

I get so confused with so many versions and cook styles. Welcome to the newb life !!!

I just experiment with adjusting/modifying to the version that fits me and my egg !!!!

Thanks folks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    @dldawes1 is correct, the total cook time is about 2 hours @350.  Mickey sauces at 1:40, and lets it sit for another ~15.  I did turbo yesterday, and my egg settled at 330F, close enough to 350 that I didn't mess with it.  My St. Louis ribs took 2:20 to finish, passed the bend test.  I didn't look until 2 hours in (I didn't sauce since I had guests with gluten allergies.)  Once i tried to bend, I decided on another 20 minutes and then they bent just right.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • All this talk about turbo ribs recently is making me think I should give them a shot.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

@SUMOCONNELL....appreciate the post.

All this learning makes me hungry for TURBO-RIBS...MICKEY STYLE !!!!!!  Looks like tonight...even though I was anticipating a night off the egg !!!!!

Yep, I'm addicted. Done been accused of loving the egg more than the wife !!!!!!!

PS.

I think she likes the egg too !

Thanks again,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!