Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Wok, New Wok, Big City of Dreams...

Was in SF last week and finally took the plunge on a Wok.  Wanted to have the experience of going to the shop and bringing it home.
Now the proud owner of a 16" carbon steel round bottom wok with steel handles.  I already have the Spider ring to put it on.  Have given it a seasoning...

Now what?  
Tips and Tricks people have learned along the way?  
What is the easiest thing to start with?  
What utensils do i need?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120

Comments

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Very nice!

I'm curious as to why you chose "carbon steel" over other alternative metals.

Curious because I'm also in the hunt for a good quality wok but have not decided on the type of metal I should choose. I plan to use a wok at least three times per week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I asked the advice of those working in the Wok Shop.  The hand hammered ones were the same price and the sales group didn't think they were superior in any way.  Also, these were "Made in the USA" which seemed a plus..  Otherwise, no obvious reasons for the choice...

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • flemster said:
    I asked the advice of those working in the Wok Shop.  The hand hammered ones were the same price and the sales group didn't think they were superior in any way.  Also, these were "Made in the USA" which seemed a plus..  Otherwise, no obvious reasons for the choice...

Love hearing when folks choose made in USA over something else! Hope it serves you well!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    "Made in USA"

I'm sold. 

Say no more... I will be placing an online order with them shortly.

Thanks again.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• flemster
    @richardfl
    thanks for the links

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice choice of wok! As for utensils I'd say a chuan is the first to get. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Other items to consider over time would be a lid & fry basket.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • flemster
    @R2Egg2Q
    I didn't buy a chuan as I had limited carry on space. ( I loved walking up Grant to buy the Wok...)  
    I was planning to use a big steel spoon I have..
    What is the benefit of the chuan over other utensils?  
    Any tips on oil to use?

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    The shape of the chuan pairs better with the wok contour than a spoon. You can try the spoon but you'll likely find cooking with a chuan to be easier and more efficient.
    As for oil, you want an oil that has a high smoking point to handle the high heat. I like grape seed or peanut oil.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • flemster
    Spicy tofu with bok choy and sprouts today. A big hit with the family

• flemster
    Prep