Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thin thin crust pizza

Options
WVU-Egg
WVU-Egg Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I believe I have the standard pizza crust down on the egg but my wife and I both love thin cust. Crispy and thin.

Anyone have a good recipe and technique using the egg for this? I've tried one but it didn't come out as thin and crispy as we like.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    I'm a fan of the thin & crispy crust myself. Here is what I do:
    6 cups of bread flour
    1/2 cup of EVOO
    2 cups of water
    2 packets of the dry yeast
    a pinch of sugar
    1 tsp salt

1. mix 4 of the 6 cups of flour and the EVOO together (I have a Kitchenaid) until a granular consistancy
    2. heat 2 cups of water in the micro for 1 min (or so), add in the yeast packs and the sugar and stir - let rest for about 2 minutes to 5 minutes. This activates the yeast.
    3. pour water/yeast mixture into the granular flour/oin mixture and blend on lowest setting
    4. add in flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the side of the mixer
    5. remove dough, roll into a log about 3" diameter and about 10" long and cut into 4 of 5 equal pieces - depending on the side of the pizza (5 pieces is good for the 12" bge baking stone, 4 pieces gets you a 14" to 16" pie depending on how thin you stretch it
    6. roll dough into a pizza ball, wrap in saran and let rest in the fridge
    7. remove and press down into a 1/2 inch "disk" and let rest for 10 to 15 mins
    8. begin stretching by pressing around the outside of the disk and working you way inside. This gives you a thin outside crust and allows you to stretch the whole crust to your desired thickness
    9. you are ready to load it up with your favorite goodies & bake. I tend to keep my pizza in so the edges are brown & crisp, but not burnt.

Good Luck with it! Let us know how it turns out! Joe
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    hate to appear like a dummy but what is EVOO?
    billyg
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    extra virgin olive oil - sorry, I tend to use it a lot - both the acronym and the oil :o}> Joe
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Obviously WVU needs to watch more Rachel Ray. LOL
    Cheers, Bob
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    ...LOL Yep!
    Good Day to ya!